Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Books only. (Yes, I'm talking to you manga fanboys)

I'm currently reading:

Absolutely superb series so far. The plot is complex and interesting, there's no main character, all the characters are well written and dynamic, and the author has a talent for keeping the reader on his/her toes. There's no predictability to be had in his books. This is the last one out so far. I'll be anxiously awaiting the next installment.

·
Tushy :3
5,162 Posts
I'm currently reading an old favorite. Elvenbane in the Halfblood Chronicle Series by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey. I love it. For all you fantasy geeks out there, you should check it out. I think you'd really enjoy it. :)

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts

I just love the Dragonlance series. I'm a sucker for the fantastic mythology genre in general

@Spyhop: I actually have had A game of thrones stored in my bookshelf; it has been in my to read list for a while, but somehow I never find the time to read it, or I get a hold of a new Dragonlance book and I just have to read that first :p I just took a peek at the first chapter (where they are at that icewall forest), but it didn't pique my interest that much. Everyone seems to laud the series a lot though, so I'll probably give it a chance when I'm done with the book I'm reading.

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Books only. (Yes, I'm talking to you manga fanboys)

I'm currently reading:

Absolutely superb series so far. The plot is complex and interesting, there's no main character, all the characters are well written and dynamic, and the author has a talent for keeping the reader on his/her toes. There's no predictability to be had in his books. This is the last one out so far. I'll be anxiously awaiting the next installment.
That's what i'm reading right now, no kidding. :D
Very nice indeed, but I'm kind of tired of reading about the mood of the L. twins and the numerous new characters 'recently' introduced. I'm right in the middle of this volume and wish to have news of the Stark and Daenerys soon... and more tips about the 'main' plot (we all know something awful and fantastic is gonna happen, but it's sooo long to wait).

I've been much more thrilled by Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man. Stunning. I cried. :heh:

I aslo recently read the first volume of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth wich I found to be awesome and kind of surprising (wtf ? SM in a fantasy novel ???) pretty hardcore for the genre ! :dead:
Gonna buy the other volumes asap.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i'm currently reading book 7 "White Witch, Black curse" of the hollows series by kim harrison.

planning on reading book 11 "Turn coat" in the Dresden files series by jim butcher afterwards.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
.....im thinking of rereading the Silmarillion....

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
You carry the witcher's emblem? The stranger reached into his jerkin once more and pulled out a round medallion on a silver chain. It pictured the head of a wolf, baring its fangs. And do you have a name? Any name will do, it's simply to make conversation easier.

My name is Geralt.

Geralt, then. Of Rivia I gather, from your accent?

Of Rivia.

Right. Do you know what, Geralt? This,' Velerad slapped the proclamation, 'let it go. It's a serious matter. Many have tried and failed already. This, my friend, is not the same as roughing up a couple of scoundrels.

I know. This is my job, Velerad. And that proclamation offers a three thousand oren reward.

Three thousand, Velerad scowled. And the princess as a wife, or so rumour says, although gracious Foltest has not proclaimed that.

I'm not interested in the princess,' Geralt said calmly. He was sitting motionless, his hands on his knees. Just in the three thousand.

What times, sighed the castellan. What foul times! Twenty years ago who would have thought, even in a drunken stupour, that such a profession as a witcher would exist? Itinerant killers of basilisks; travelling slayers of dragons and vodniks! Tell me, Geralt, are you allowed beer in your guild?

Certainly.

As I said, your view on religion is known to me, it's never particularly bothered me and, no doubt, it won't bother me in the future. I'm not a fanatic. You've a right to believe that we're governed by Nature and the Force hidden within her. You can think that the gods, including my Melitele, are merely a personification of this power invented for simpletons so they can understand it better, accept its existence. According to you, that power is blind.

Just a little something from this book. :)

·
Registered
8,294 Posts

I just love the Dragonlance series. I'm a sucker for the fantastic mythology genre in general

@Spyhop: I actually have had A game of thrones stored in my bookshelf; it has been in my to read list for a while, but somehow I never find the time to read it, or I get a hold of a new Dragonlance book and I just have to read that first :p I just took a peek at the first chapter (where they are at that icewall forest), but it didn't pique my interest that much. Everyone seems to laud the series a lot though, so I'll probably give it a chance when I'm done with the book I'm reading.
Dragonlance books are good but I like Forgotten Realms more... Although they really resemble each other. But still, damn I'm a sucker for R.A. Salvatores Forgotten Realms books! I can't wait till the local library gets his next book, "The Pirate King"...

But right now as I've read all the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books that I've found from the local library, I started reading "Tales of the Otori". Pretty interesting, it takes place in a fantasy world closely resembling 13th century Japan.:D Its more mature than Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms but it's pretty interesting...
Here's what wiki knows about it for anyone interested:

Tales of the Otori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
I iz reading this :D

the author is fantastic and the books are just brilliant
Aside from the Vampire ones about 5 years ago, I always found Darren Shan either bored me with the main character, or got lost within the story's own chaos. That said, my friends love his books soo...

1 - 20 of 249 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.