Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new version of Ubuntu Linux I want to install, problem is I have no CD-R's, CD-RW's, DVD-R's or DVD-RW's.

Is it possible to put the iso image on a formatted drive and use a bootloader/loader to initiate/access it so I can install without the need to burn to a disc?

Is it possible to boot any bootable ISO image using a loader?

I namely want to be able to also image my OS install discs and not have to use a disc when installing a dual boot configuration.

Would this work by copying the files from my OS install disc to an empty partition and running the setup file?

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
You can use Wubi to install it on a usb drive directly, if you want. Mount it in Daemontools, then run wubi.
Same can be done from the liveCD install process.

The alternate disc spins can be netbooted. Technically, should be available in the regular spins as well.

edit: here's how to netbook when you dont have discs underhand. A bit more trouyble than it's worth though. Get CDs, no other way. Or install on a USB drive from a mounted iso, from wubi.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot#Netboot Install

Would this work by copying the files from my OS install disc to an empty partition and running the setup file?
At the core, thats the same as the PXE method (except not requiring inet or lan access). A local grub would need to be available (i doubt vista's loader would be usable to netboot an ubuntu install)

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
What i did here:
1)Installed ubuntu 8.10 on vmware.
2)Inside ubuntu, i created a Live USB pendrive setup.
3)Now i can boot ubuntu from USB, and the changes are permanent!
Way better than Live CDS!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts