Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Read Only
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I was reading this interesting article on kotaku.

John Davison, chief of WhatTheyPlay and studier of all things iPhone believes the PSPgo is going to make PSP gamers re-think what they're willing to spend on games.

PSPgo, as we learned at E3, is a no-disc version of the PSP coming this October 1, one that will require gamers to download their games. Among the games people will be able to download will be full-sized games that would normally be released on disc for the system at standard PSP game prices: $20- $40.

But in the world of the iPhone, customers have become accustomed to buying games cheaply, and have seen game prices stay low, with few exceptions.

So what's going to happen if people bring iPhone App Store pricing expectations to the PSPgo?
It really got me thinking.

You see, prices of games on the appstore ranges from 0.99 to 10 or 12 dollars I think.
Now don't come telling me that it's a damn phone with no buttons, you can't hide the fact of the success of it and that the appstore is helping change the game industry.
Also inside that pile of apps and games, there are some really good ones like Rolando and others that justify their price.

So I wonder what Sony plans to do on their game pricing because consumers expect low prices from those downloadable games?

If Sony plans to get more customers, they should really take this into consideration.

Can you imagine the success of Patapon for the iphone at 6 or 10 dollars?

· Read Only
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that people are used to buying digital downloads of music and if the music helps them enjoy Rock Band or Guitar Hero more, more power to them.

There are times I question if it was a good idea trading in Rock Band from my PSP, perhaps it would have been better to give it a whirl and see if I liked it, after all branching out and growing is important for gamers, and is it really a good idea to keep buying the same game (i.e., Neo Geo games) for every system (PS2/Wii/PSP) that I own?

As far as pricing, if I can get the UMD version at the same price as the download, I'll buy the UMD version. I prefer hard copies of games over virtual versions. I did pay $23.99 for Left 4 Dead, but it was a rare decision.
I wonder why do you do that Paratech.
I mean do you get any sort of upgrade when buying the same neo geo games, graphic update, new mods, etc.
In my case I would just buy them for the console that I have the best controller. I think that the PS2 versions is great for the fighting games.

· Read Only
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little update on this topic.

Source: Kotaku,
Today at Sony's Gamescom 2009 press conference the company introduced PSP Minis, a range of smaller, cheaper downloadable games for the PSP and PSP Go.

Minis, which we touched on briefly last week, will be showing up in their own special section of the PlayStation Store come October 1st, giving PSP owners smaller-sized games at a lower price, perfect for the UMD-less PSP Go. Titles in the Minis section will all be limited to 100MB or less, meaning you can pack quite a few in between your full PSP titles.

Fifteen titles will be available for purchase when the Minis section launches in October, with Sony expecting at least fifty titles by the end of the year. Confirmed for release are Fieldrunners, Puzzle Scape, Alien Havok, Sudoku, Pacman Championship Edition, Championship Manager, Burn Zombie Burn 2D, Funky Punch, Breakquest, and Melody Bloxx.

The press release doesn't list prices, but we expect each will be below $10, if not much cheaper.
I also read that Sony is trying to draw appstore developers to release their games for the psp, there are confirmed iphone games coming to psp like fieldrunners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.