Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· band
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me what the difference is between port triggering and port forwarding on a router ? i just realized theres these two options and im wondering if enabling one instead of the other will give me better torrent speeds or better security >.>

· Registered
2,794 Posts
Player-X gave a bit of a lousy explanation. Port triggering, as its name implies, allows the router to temporarily open up an inbound port to a machine it detects making a request on a predefined outbound "trigger" port. IRC and identd is a good example. You can setup a rule to temporarily open up port 113 inbound (identd) on a machine that is detected making an outbound request on 6667 (irc).

Port triggering is NOT a good mechanism for something like BT. It won't give you better speeds and there's really no way to configure it since the remote port can be anything the tracker admin wants it to be. You're better off using static port forwarding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.