Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been years since this problem have been haunting me... like seriously YEARS.

I have plenty of PSX emulators, on the Wii, Wii U, RetroArch on Wii U/ Switch, POPStarter on PS2 and countless emulators.... heck even the PS3 "PSX Emulator" doesnt work...

The actual issue is that whenever you play the game, each level has it own song.. but when this song finishes the song wont loop... instead it will play the next level or a whatever level song... i know that ePSXe fixed this issue, but i am not aware of HOW? Maybe discussing the actual issue solution will help other developers to solve it on different emulators?

Here is a video of the issue...

Its driving me crazy.

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Interesting, sadly development of PS1 emulation has kinda slowed to a crawl if not stopped entirely, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up.
Question does this issue happen on the official PSN download and when playing from a disc?

For curiousity sake could you test another game? Mainly Medievil 2?
This game had the same issue during development of epsxe 2.0, where each time the current track would end or stop for a cutscene rather than loop/resume the correct track it would play the first track on the disc, or at least I think it was the first one, basically it would play the carnival track from the third level, i think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, sadly development of PS1 emulation has kinda slowed to a crawl if not stopped entirely, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up.
Question does this issue happen on the official PSN download and when playing from a disc?

For curiousity sake could you test another game? Mainly Medievil 2?
This game had the same issue during development of epsxe 2.0, where each time the current track would end or stop for a cutscene rather than loop/resume the correct track it would play the first track on the disc, or at least I think it was the first one, basically it would play the carnival track from the third level, i think.
Funny thing, it doesn't happen on PSN version, or PSP or PSVita version of the game ...

The real version of the game doesn't give me this problem on PS3 nor PS2. (Thought it was my .bin .cue but made a 1:1 backup of my CD and the problem persists)

However if I try to mount the .cue with multiman on PS3 I get the same results.... Issues.

Let me download that game and try it out because I'm kind of sure is the CD ROM decryption or mounting what's causing the problem...

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Funny thing, it doesn't happen on PSN version, or PSP or PSVita version of the game ...

The real version of the game doesn't give me this problem on PS3 nor PS2. (Thought it was my .bin .cue but made a 1:1 backup of my CD and the problem persists)

However if I try to mount the .cue with multiman on PS3 I get the same results.... Issues.

Let me download that game and try it out because I'm kind of sure is the CD ROM decryption or mounting what's causing the problem...
It is possible, if the cue/bin files aren't set properly this can cause problem with music tracks, thou most of the time music simply won't play at all, if that's the case.
For Medievil 2 it's easy to test, look up cheat codes for it and use them to get to the fourth level, i don't remember the time of the level but it's harbour themed level, upon starting it a creepy music will play, after you make a few steps a cutscene will play, which will stop the music, you can skip said cutscene.
Afterwards notice what music will it play, it should be the same creepy music, if it's glitched it will play the carnival music from the third level.

Sadly ATM I'm at work, so I can't test anything, or even check if both games actually use tracks for music, instead of XA files in which case it's purely audio emulation issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is possible, if the cue/bin files aren't set properly this can cause problem with music tracks, thou most of the time music simply won't play at all, if that's the case.
For Medievil 2 it's easy to test, look up cheat codes for it and use them to get to the fourth level, i don't remember the time of the level but it's harbour themed level, upon starting it a creepy music will play, after you make a few steps a cutscene will play, which will stop the music, you can skip said cutscene.
Afterwards notice what music will it play, it should be the same creepy music, if it's glitched it will play the carnival music from the third level.

Sadly ATM I'm at work, so I can't test anything, or even check if both games actually use tracks for music, instead of XA files in which case it's purely audio emulation issue.
I'm testing now. Will edit this post with my results

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
I'm testing now. Will edit this post with my results
Either way i checked both games, neither of them use CD audio tracks for music, so cue files is irrelevant.
Both games store their music in XA files, so your issue is just poor audio emulation.
In regards with Tomba 2 in stores it entire music collection in one big file, when the music is supposed to change or loop it just goes to a specific time in the audio file.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either way i checked both games, neither of them use CD audio tracks for music, so cue files is irrelevant.
Both games store their music in XA files, so your issue is just poor audio emulation.
In regards with Tomba 2 in stores it entire music collection in one big file, when the music is supposed to change or loop it just goes to a specific time in the audio file.
Well that's good to know then! At least we know what causes the issue. What is the track2.bin of the game then? Just useless ?

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Well that's good to know then! At least we know what causes the issue. What is the track2.bin of the game then? Just useless ?
There shouldn't be a track2.bin. only one bin file and one cue file.
Tomba 2 does uses two tracks one for data the other a CD audio track.
Thou the audio track is either a dummy or is used for anti piracy protection.
Either way official emulators like pops and other's may not work properly with multiple bins games.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There shouldn't be a track2.bin. only one bin file and one cue file.
Tomba 2 does uses two tracks one for data the other a CD audio track.
Thou the audio track is either a dummy or is used for anti piracy protection.
Either way official emulators like pops and other's may not work properly with multiple bins games.
Well is not like "there should not be" they ARE there every time I dump the game.

I can't believe even oficial emulator like POPS have issues with the audio on this game.

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Well is not like "there should not be" they ARE there every time I dump the game.

I can't believe even oficial emulator like POPS have issues with the audio on this game.
Then you're doing something wrong, as they're shouldn't be multiple bin files for each track.
Mostly unofficial emulators like epsxe support this, pops may have issues with it, can't say for other emulators.

As for pops it's wierd, there are few versions of it on the PS3 depending on how you launch the game
There's a separate pops for disc based games and another pops for PSN PS1 downloads.
I think even multiman uses a different version, thou don't quate on the last one, I haven't had a modded PS3 in a while.

Anyway try making an CD image file with one bin and cue files, and see if it helps, as sometimes these dummies are necessary for the game to work properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts