Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pope slams Harry Potter books
[font=arial,helvetica]The Pope has criticised the Harry Potter books, saying they "distort Christianity in the soul", according to two letters published online.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]The comments were made to the German author of Harry Potter - Good or Evil? - which criticises JK Rowling's stories.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica]Gabriele Kuby sent the German pontiff a copy of the book in 2003, when he was still a cardinal, and his replies have now been published.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]"It is good that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because these are subtle seductions which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly," he wrote.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]He also thanked Kuby for her "instructive" book, in which she says the Potter series corrupts the hearts of the young, preventing them from developing a sense of good and evil.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]In a second letter sent two months later, the Pope "gladly" gave his permission for Kuby to make his judgment public.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]The Vatican had previously given the books an apparent seal of approval.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]At a press conference in 2003, senior official, Father Peter Fleetwood, said he did not see any problem with the books.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]"I don't think there's anyone in this room who grew up without fairies, magic and angels in their imaginary world," he said.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]"They help children to see the difference between good and evil."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica] [/font][font=arial,helvetica]Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be unveiled at midnight on July 16.[/font]
let's not have a flame war here I just want to know your honest opinion on these conservertives hating something that is helping millions of kids learn to read

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
its a stupid book imo but if theyre reading it thats a start... its completely idiotic for anyone especially the church to outlaw a childrens book

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sooner or later, it had to happen. The Church hates fairies, magicians, wizards, witches,etc. because they say they`re evil.They have to criticise everything that has to do with magic and a little imagination, because they think that those people who use magic are alied with the devil (because they`re different then the rest of the "normal" people). Beh...I`m tired of hearing the church denying the kids a little fun.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They seem to hate imagination and creative thinking as thier power is based on blind compliency to who is in charge, it's been like that for a while now, people who think for themselves can't be told what to do as easily so everything that inspires imagination is bad for them, in fact it's bad for any corrupt institution not just religion

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
This is ridiculous, let's burn Witches while you're at it.Seriously if there was witches around I'd marry one instead of burning her.. roarrr ;)

Catholism, they so think they can influance a nation.I might HATE harry potter with all my might but man, poor author.. well poor rich author.. I doubt he cares about his opinion but still.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since as we all know those fundementalists have harry potter product burnings and they don't actuaily own said products they have to buy it which they are actuaily helping the author get rich, life is a ironic comedy
These guys also want to burn DnD games and anything else featuring fantasy worlds with magic, I say let them, they are helping the people who make them by buying the stuff to burn

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
Have these people even read a Harry Potter book before they judge it? I bet not.

J.K. Rowling should be winning awards for getting children to read again instead of being told she is making products of Satan.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Wow, the modern day Catcher in the Rye only it without vulgar language and scenes and is actually intended for children.

This argument the Vatican is defending would actually be valid . . . granted sorcery was actually real :p

But yea, this is just plain dumb in my oppinion. Why don't they look on the positive side (that is, assuming a negative side even EXISTS). It could teach children the values of friendship and teamwork.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
It'll also teach them the alot about politics. You know, injustice, prejudice and ignorance doesn't only exist in the world of Harry Potter. Let's take the catholic church (in medieval times, of course ;)) as an example...

They even learn that being fat or getting everything you want from your parents is nothing you should be proud of.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
The pope is just jaelous Harry Potter is much more beliavable and even more popular than the holy books for todays children :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Or they might just feel threatened. If rumors/beliefs that witches exist appear, then they feel threatened as people will believe more that witches have more power then them.
Imagine if witchces would do miracles (and I preffer to see a young witch, not those discribed by them as ugly 80-year old b****es), then they feel treatened because the withces can do miracles, while they can not, and so they are scared people would not believe in them anymore, thus losing the power they enjoy so much.

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
i dont like the new pope ...

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Yeah, this is our Papa Ratzi :D

You know, I always said that a conservative leader (and Papa Ratzi is a conservative from his very heart) won't improve anything. Neither for the American nor the Italian people or anyone else. And if we elect the CDU (Christian Democratic Union) this fall, the situation here in Germany will most likely get worse than it is now.

P.S.: I still wonder what might have happened if that black cardinal had become the next pope...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I can't believe how stupid some people are. Can't they tell that Harry Potter is a work of pure fiction/fantasy? It's meant for enjoyment and to get kids to read, not to promote witchcraft. What a load of BS.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
the Potter series corrupts the hearts of the young, preventing them from developing a sense of good and evil.
I had to laugh out loud at this. Children develop a sense of good/evil the first time they ever hurt themselves. Whether they trip over or prick themselves on a rose they realise some things are good and others are bad. If the pope thinks kids are still figuring out good/evil pass the age of 5 he has issues =/.

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
im a catholic and even i have to shake my head at this. Looks like our new pope hasent gotten back from the 12th century yet :???:

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
First of all, why should i need them to tell me what my childrens can read? I'm his father and i will choose based on my own criteria.
I don't know how people can base their own decisions on whatever opinion someone else miles away has about something he doesn't care.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
There was also a book released called, "The Bible According to Harry Potter"... I wouldn't want to hear the Pope's comments that... :rolleyes:

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Bill_gates said:
im a catholic and even i have to shake my head at this. Looks like our new pope hasent gotten back from the 12th century yet :???:
I remember him saying that he wanted to continue John Paul II's work, but I didn't (OK, actually I did) expect him to choose preferably the medieval issues to push forward.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts