Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bip...Bip...
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Pete,

Perhaps it's not the first time you get this question but why you dont develop your plugins based on DX8? Most of us are using modern VGA boards or sound boards so...?

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
There is a missing feature in the DX8 D3D interface (stretched blits),
which I use to produce some of the more complicated effects (like the FF9 battle
swirl) or the 'fast mdec' option. Of course there are (slower) ways around that,
but a straight DX8 port of my current d3d plugins would not make much sense...
I don't think that I would gain much speed (and, as shown above, would even
loose speed with some effects/games).

A nice thing would be the usage of DX8 pixel shaders, but of course you would need
a GF3 card to run it at all... and I don't have one yet, do you? :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Okay deal. if you make a DX8 D3D plug then I'll buy a GF3. J/K.
Well, I might buy one as a present to myself this christmas.

·
Bip...Bip...
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I dont.

I own a AIW Radeon. Perhaps I'll buy one in the future if the GF cards will be more "Universal use" than actually.

BTW pete, thanks for the explaination....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Pete, here is a suggestion for you.
Maybe you can make software plugin based on VGS software renderer and no more question about smooth FF background.
But if you can't, it's okay.

C

·
0 Posts
And how exactly would he do that? VGS is commercial software, it is NOT open-source.

So unless Pete has some magical visions about VGS's source, that's not happening anytime soon..

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by chp
No I dont.

I own a AIW Radeon. Perhaps I'll buy one in the future if the GF cards will be more "Universal use" than actually.

BTW pete, thanks for the explaination....
Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the ATI Radeon had full support for DirectX 8, which would suggest that it has pixel shading capabilities. Plus, the GeForce 2 MX/GTS/Pro/Ultra cards also have Pixel Shaders(called NVIDIA Shading Rasterizer [NSR]).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts