Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I don't know if it is the right place but...

I would really love the HLE bios to be back in the next release as I'm using pcsx2 to debug my code when not at home and since the 0.7 it is not possible anymore to run homebrew apps... :(

Or if there is a trick to make them running I would be pleased too :D

So still debuging with the 0.6 version....
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
There is no point in bringing back the HLE-Bios since there is so much better compatibility with the real BIOS. I think the dev´s have to work on the 0.6 HLE to make it usable with the current 0.7 Version and this wont be worth it because it doesnt help improving the emulation of PS2-Games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ickis99 said:
There is no point in bringing back the HLE-Bios since there is so much better compatibility with the real BIOS. I think the dev´s have to work on the 0.6 HLE to make it usable with the current 0.7 Version and this wont be worth it because it doesnt help improving the emulation of PS2-Games.
Or I really missed your point or you're really missed mine :D

The good things with the HLE is the fact thst you can directly run an homebrew elf without any tricks as needed with a REAL ps2 (and I presume the REAL bios) : have an host connected, have ps2link running on the PS2.... So this fantastic tool (pcsx 0.6) for debugging becomes unusable without the HLE bios as you need to have a fake host and blablabla..

But sorry I never undestood that the goal of pcsx2 was to only ''improving the emulation of PS2-Games", thing I don't mind as I've got a PS2 so why should I play those games on my PC (with less pleasure for sure)... or maybe this emu is only dedicated to those who doesn't want to buy games and console :(

And if PS2 dev's is so useless I'd like to know who write this emu ;-)

By the way, let say my english is bad enough to have misunderstood your point...

Linuzappz, is this dev9 plugin works under windows ? Is it really the only way to have homebrew things (emus, demos,...) working ?
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
1) I never said that PS2 dev´s (?) is useless.
2) Indeed it is the main goal of PCSX2 to play (emulate) PS2-Games! For myself, i have a PS2, and 4 games (all original). I really anticipate to play this games but actually i never played any game with my PS2. I´am waiting until PCSX2 and my PC are advanced enough to make my games playable. And if it lasts 3 more years (or 10) doesnt matter. Thats my sense of emulation.

Apart from this, i fully agree to your post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
PCSX2 is not designed to emulate games, we are trying to emulate a PS2 exactly as the hardware is. Which means, yes it will run games like a normal PS2 does.

auMatt
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Thats sounds contradictory to me. You say its not designed to emulate games, but to emulate the hardware. But the main thing of the PS2 is to play games (beside the playing of DVD and stuff of course). So doesnt it have to be a main goal to emulate PS2 because its the best indicator of your success?

Furthermore one of the dev´s said once, that PSCX2 will NOT be able to emulate PS1-Games in the future. I know its on separate hardware inside the PS2 but if your goal is to emulate a PS2 EXACTLY, as you said, shouldt it be a part of it?

Sorry, if this discussions is going to far off-topic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
259 Posts
Ickis99 said:
Furthermore one of the dev´s said once, that PSCX2 will NOT be able to emulate PS1-Games in the future. I know its on separate hardware inside the PS2 but if your goal is to emulate a PS2 EXACTLY, as you said, shouldt it be a part of it?
PCSX2 can emulate ps1 games with a few changes on the code... That feature is already developed on the core of pcsx2. But we think pointless atm to make full compatibility with the ps1 mode since there are already very nice ps1 emus out there (pcsx for example ;) ) . Maybe at the future we will finish that part..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Ickis99 said:
Thats sounds contradictory to me. You say its not designed to emulate games, but to emulate the hardware. But the main thing of the PS2 is to play games (beside the playing of DVD and stuff of course). So doesnt it have to be a main goal to emulate PS2 because its the best indicator of your success?

Furthermore one of the dev´s said once, that PSCX2 will NOT be able to emulate PS1-Games in the future. I know its on separate hardware inside the PS2 but if your goal is to emulate a PS2 EXACTLY, as you said, shouldt it be a part of it?

Sorry, if this discussions is going to far off-topic.
Whaaaaaaaaaat are you talking about. Playing the games is a consiquence of emulating the hardware. You don't emulate games, you emulate hardware. Simple as that.

Indeed the main objective is to emulate the ps2 'exactly', but this simply refers to having the emulation accurate - not necessarily to emulate all areas of the console. Fully emulating the ps1 areas would be a waste of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hummm at the end the emu goal is mine !!! Emulate as good as possible the real hardware so my debugging sessions will be as relevant as possible :D

But it does not explain me why the HLE cannot be at least usable in pcsx0.7+ (the bios is not the hardware) as then really help the developpers.... So, I'll follow Linuzappz's advices and try to use pcsx2 AS my ps2 ;-)

Oh one thing, does the 0.7 handles correctly the SPR, uncached and UCAB memory ? I really have different behaviors between 0.6 and my PS2 (pcsx2 is less... freezeable :D)

Is it possible to find the Dev9linuz plugin already compiled for windows somewhere ?? sorry I just have ps2 homebrew compilers :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
PS1 emulation is actually built into the bios. It runs on the IOP. So emulating the ps2 will mean that ps1 games may be functional in the future but for the moment there is not care for it. As for Bios not being hardware. Well it is an actual chip on the Motherboard and to emulate the ps2 you have to emulate that. But because its copyrighted code we can not include it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is there a dependency ???

your plugin is not displayed in pcsx2 0.7 DEV9 list and the MS dependency walker is looking for an unknown PACKET reference... any idea ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
821 Posts
shazz said:
is there a dependency ???

your plugin is not displayed in pcsx2 0.7 DEV9 list and the MS dependency walker is looking for an unknown PACKET reference... any idea ?
copy packet.dll into pcsx2 directory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little better... the plugin is displayed but the configuratino is empty, I can check Ethernet and HDD but the associated lists are empty.

What those dispaly lists should propose ?

If I run ps2link, the welcome message appears when windows says that pcsx2 has crashed and a few seconds after pcsx2 closes...

Any suggestion ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
shazz said:
A little better... the plugin is displayed but the configuratino is empty, I can check Ethernet and HDD but the associated lists are empty.

What those dispaly lists should propose ?

If I run ps2link, the welcome message appears when windows says that pcsx2 has crashed and a few seconds after pcsx2 closes...

Any suggestion ?
I'm not sure if the packet.dll is enough... You might need to install WinPcap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Personally I think having the hardware PS1 features enabled would be VERY good. Heck, even getting the DVD functions in it eventually would be cool for the sake of completion.

I do agree that no priority should be placed on that stuff since it is rather supefluous at this point, but if what shadow says "PCSX2 can emulate ps1 games with a few changes on the code... That feature is already developed on the core of pcsx2." is true, maybe it would be worth trying? Like if it would take a day or two to work... There would be no need to make it perfect, but it does sound interesting if you can get 2-3 of the PS2s unemulated chips emulated in such a short timeframe.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top