Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Spriggan
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Slow Processor & Heat]
Ok so taking a look at my specs you will notice that my processor is running a tad slow (567 MHz slower in fact :hdbash: )

This is currently due to the crappy cooling I have in my rig...I mean according to Asus Probe and my bios I'm running 57° Celsius @ Idle thats with an ambient (case) temp of 36° Celsius and according to the temperature monitor that sits on my desk an average of 24° Celsius room temperature all the while running at the slower speed of 1600 MHz.

I have come to the conclusion that I need 3 more fans and a better heatsink to cool this bad boy down so I can enjoy my cpu's full potential without having to worry about the core melting down.
[/Slow Processor & Heat]

[Power Supply]
To juice this jet engine I'm gonna need a better power supply and I was thinking about this one. Would it power 5 "80 mm" fans plus everything else in my rig?
[/Power Supply]

[Memory Bus]
Player-X reminded me of something I was supposed to include the first time around :hdbash:

When I set my system to full speed (aka 2167MHz) the memory bus jumps from 133 (@ 1600 MHz) all the way up to 266 (@ 2167 MHz)

My question here is...well is this right on a system with a Athlon XP 2700+ with PC2700 Memory

Granted I don't know much about the Memory bus and what its purpose is other than what I've read on google so please feel free to tell me that I have nothing to worry about and that everything will be peachy :thumb:
[/Memory Bus]

·
Spriggan
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ignore the man behind the curtian...aka the slow processor since it was me who underclocked it in the first place. I did so in order to keep the damn thing from initiating a nuclear meldown of my core :)

But now that you mention it....hmm edits first post...

Ok I've edited my first post to make things a little clearer hopefully you'll understand my predicament a little better :nod:

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
The memory speed is tied to your FSB so unless your ram isn't rated to go that fast just smile and carry on
you mostly need to clean your fans and heatsink first, if that dosn't help then I say go for it

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
Sort your cpu heatsink out. you dont need 5 fans and you dont need a new psu.

If i can run my system with no case fans than you can do it to. just get yourself a decent heatsink.

·
Spriggan
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope it can't be dust I just cleaned and rebuilt the whole system when I got my Geforce 6600GT on the 19th!

·
Spriggan
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arctic Silver 3 Applied as per the instructions on the AS website.

All fans are plugged in and running as far I can tell by looking at them and Everest says my cpu fan is running @ 4000+ RPM's

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
the volcano 12 is a good sink. It's actually a thermalright slk-700(i think its the 700, might be the sk-7) which is a good sink. It sounds expensive though. see if you can find any of the following models from Thermalright:

alx-800
slk-800
slk-9xx
sp-77
si-97

Thats in order of performance. We can get the alx-800 for about £6 over here. Add an 80mm fan and it'll be a better performer than the thermaltak volcano 12:)

·
Spriggan
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't find any of those on Newegg and no other place I know of takes Paypal so I'm truley SOL especially since the Volcano 12 is now out of stock until the 31st!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts