Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw the icon under PlayStation Network on my PS3. Seems like it's public to everyone yesterday, but I was not at home.

Anyway, once you click on the icon, it asks you to download a 77MB file. Heh... :p

Will report back soon.

"To use PlayStation Home, 3077MB of disc space will be reserved"

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
nice. We will soon find out if this free online version of sims + a chat room is going to be as attractive to people as sony is hoping it will be. It wow'd so many people at E3 2 years ago.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, let us now what it's like :)
nice. We will soon find out if this free online version of sims + a chat room is going to be as attractive to people as sony is hoping it will be. It wow'd so many people at E3 2 years ago.
It's like the Sims... with less customizations... (or more, I can't tell... :p) and a few clothes and stuffs. You need to shell out a few cents ($0.49?) for some new clothes though, and it seems that at this point, there aren't too many pieces to choose from so buying new pieces seem moot. Maybe you will have those pieces for free after a while, I'll see...

And the graphics are not bad. :) But they are nothing that will wow you.

Video streaming is quite fast there, and you're watching from a 3D screen most of the time (no kidding), but... ehh... there aren't too many things to watch at the moment. Just a few trailers and ads.

There's a music video of Twilight playing in the theater today... but I can't listen to anything from the video without turning off voices. All I hear with voices on are rape music or sounds of some black dude (no racism intended, the person just happens to be black, or trying to imitate black) on the phone with some loop of a girl's moaning voice. Needless to say, it's crawling with sex stuffs and a lot of wannabes. And the word filters are in full force, but sadly voice filter needs work.

Aside from that, areas are... pretty and interesting but short, there's nothing that makes you want to "explore" or such. The good thing is that the contents in one place are kind of enough to keep one going. The bowling area is infested with arcade machines with Ice Breaker, a clone of Arkanoid, and Echochrome, and possibly some other games that I haven't tried yet, but they are nothing I haven't seen on any Flash game site. Pool is pretty and all, but without someone to play with, it's friggin' boring, plus the aiming system in Pool feels very automated... which defeats the purpose of "skills." Last but not least, there's bowling, but boy... it's crowded, so I couldn't try it at all.

Overall, moving from one area to another is just like loading new rooms and maps. An area is small enough to be loaded almost instantly, and the download only happens once (when you access the area for the first time), then you don't have to download it again. There are also areas from game developers, aside from Sony's ones. There's the train station from Far Cry 2 and the pub in Uncharted. Seems like once the world is filled with enough areas, they'll start to make it more open-world instead of just going in and out.

Anyway, after all, I feel like I'm playing the Sims with just one character, who won't cry if I don't feed him or something, so at least it's less annoying than Sims. :p

What I would commend them for, though, is that this thing actually utilizes network bandwidth really well, to the point that chatting from over 50 users in the same area happens seamlessly regardless of location. Users are distributed all over the U.S., of course. What is even more amazing is that voices (though annoying) are also transmitted seamlessly, and all of that still doesn't make video streaming any slower. Actually, video streams are fast and smooth enough once they start.

Has this been released in Europe too because i can't be bothered to check on my PS3.
Seems likely. Version 1.0.3 has been announced to be a public beta for all PSN users, and I'm meeting people who talk German and Dutch.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
I downloaded it late last night and couldn't connect to any servers. I searched around and found out that someone hacked PS Home already and published how to do it on his homepage. In the hack you can delete other people's homes.

I guess Sony shut down the servers after an influx of douchebags hacked the servers and began deleting damn near everything. :/

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sure it ain't SKFU? Because last I heard, that back-up hack they did was a fake, and the new so-called PSN hack is more likely just some "winhex" mumbo jumbo... :p

Waaahhh... soooo scary, I was able to open a 77MB file on my PC and look at its hex codes!

^= Something like that, I think.

Or the "hack" that supposedly let you install PlayStation Home on your console even without the invitation code.

I did have some difficulties signing in this morning, but it's all fine now. Seems like they just did a server maintainance or something like that..

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Could you post some shots RAP.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Lmao.

Seems Home is not for children.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
Here are some pics of PlayStation Home. I apologize in advance for the crappy, non-HD pics. My video capture device can only capture in SD (480i).

Sittin' around at the apartment.

Outside of the apartment.

A different view outside. It kinda' reminds me of Naples, Italy.

After you've been in the apartment for like 0.001 seconds, you'll get bored. So let's bring up the World Map. A few preliminary areas exist in the beta including some areas taken from 'Uncharted' and 'Far Cry 2'. A guess they're there to allow you to "tour" the areas of those games.

OMFG! Ghosts!!!!!!1111 oO

The 'Home Stuff' store in the Mall. I guess you'll be able to buy crap here to outfit your apartment and dress yourself with. Currently, it doesn't work. :/

The "ghosts" are now all gone since my PS3 has downloaded all of the other users' data for their avatars. The lady on the TV screen in the background is an infomercial about what PSHome will be offering in the future.

Bored.

I agree with the opponents to PSHome that it is a useless feature. The PS3 already has chat and voice chat built in. This whole thing seems a lot like Second Life to me. (i.e. totally pointless)

Ah well, maybe there will be a reason to have it when it's completed. :/

·
Registered
809 Posts
man I just downloaded this this morning and it kinda wasted 3 gigs of my hard drive 10 min of my time.

The conversations in the mall are creepy and there is nothing to do except walking around. The only thing that is not occupied is the echrome arcade game next to the bowling alley.

Everything is so lame :|

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
Not fair! I haven't been able to connect at all.
Yeah, I don't know how many times I had to try to connect just for those stupid screenshots. :rolleyes: You're not really missing anything, btw.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can in fact get into some stores and buy stuffs... though I doubt that interests you any how since... none of them are free. :p

Now... let's see... I think you can check back the Movie Theater to watch trailers all day long (each trailer goes for a day worth, I think), and... uhhh... hit me up on PSN and play pool together.

Actually, playing pool together is not that bad... though I think pool tables will also be occupied soon. :p Damn... why didn't Sony take into account the fact that there are just a lot of users who are going to pour into Home... and then sooner or later, all areas will be filled to the point you can't even move?

They need bigger areas... or more areas in my opinions.

Oh, and free furnitures or the ability to tweak furnitures, too. :p

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
Something tells me that we'll eventually be able to buy pool tables and arcade games and TVs (maybe for streamed game/movie previews) someday.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, someday... :p For now, the only fun thing I can do is dress myself up as a girl (seriously) and run around waiting for guys to confess and woo me.

LMAO gooshness... even the manly name didn't help, they were just like... "hey sexy!" or something like that. Can we say... there's a heavy lack of girlfriend in the Home community? ;p I know there are quite a number of girls in there, but most are already married, and quite a few are pregnant... and they can't do anything but play bowling all day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts