Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-data-
Microsoft Corp which is trying to unseat gaming market leader Sony Corp, said on Wednesday the Japanese consumer electronics maker has lost some of the advantages that made its PlayStation gaming machine a top-selling video game console.

Microsoft has forged stronger relationships with the industry's top game publishers -- alliances that can make-or-break a console's success -- and for the first time, will beat Sony to market with its next-generation console.
Sony, which unseated Nintendo Co. Ltd. as the industry's top console maker and drove Sega's Genesis console out of business a decade ago, still controls more than two-thirds of the market.

Sony's current generation console, the PlayStation 2, beat Microsoft's Xbox console to the market more than four years ago. This time, however, Microsoft is launching its next-generation Xbox 360 console ahead of the 2005 holiday season, ahead of Sony's planned launch of its PlayStation 3 in Spring 2006.

Since they last faced off, Microsoft has courted the industry's top video game publishers, including Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) and Square Enix Co. Ltd. (9684.T: Quote, Profile, Research) in the same way Sony courted the top game makers a decade ago when the PlayStation first launched, said Robbie Bach, chief of Microsoft's home and entertainment division.

"What happens is there's a certain amount of ego -- it gets in the way of what's important, which is that it's all about partner (game publisher) success," Bach said.

Microsoft has also offered game publishers a bigger cut of the proceeds from game sales and hired key executives from within the gaming industry to court developers.

That's also the model Microsoft adopted for Windows, luring top software companies to write programs for its personal computer operating system, making it a monopoly.
"It goes back to our roots," Bach said.
Sony, meanwhile, said Microsoft's Xbox 360 won't be able to compete against Sony's newest console because it lacks future technology, such as newly designed microchips, high-resolution graphics and a next-generation DVD player.

"It's a box made of future technology as opposed to Xbox 1.5, which seems to be a combination of things available today," said Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment America, implying slyly that the Xbox 360 isn't quite a full upgrade to version "2.0."

Both companies are trash-talking each other and playing up the future capabilities of their newest gaming machines, partly because the time lag between major console releases is getting longer and longer.
Bach said software update services, which can keep console system hardware up-to-date, allow for longer life cycles and Microsoft had already demonstrated such capabilities for its current-generation Xbox console.
"We've built in a lot of headroom," Bach said.
Bach also noted Sony's lack of talk over an online strategy for the PlayStation 3.

Microsoft said it will have more than 2 million users for its Xbox Live online service by the end of June. The software giant is introducing a free Xbox Live service with Xbox 360 that it says will put more than half of that console's gamers online.
-data-

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Free XboxLive, now we're talking :D

Sony, which unseated Nintendo Co. Ltd. as the industry's top console maker and drove Sega's Genesis console out of business a decade ago, still controls more than two-thirds of the market.
Genesis, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that be the Saturn? oO

Following part I found pretty ironic:
That's also the model Microsoft adopted for Windows, luring top software companies to write programs for its personal computer operating system, making it a monopoly.

Anyway, let em fight each other and talk trash, it doesn't matter to me. It adds to the hype of course, but to me it still seems the best to let Sony and M$ first realise what they are now talking about, before even buying a console.
"It goes back to our roots," Bach said.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Free XboxLive, now we're talking :D
Actually I heard that too, but as it turns out it's only an instant messanger type service with maybe a few other things. In order to play games online you will still need to pay.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
lol, I thought that part was hilarious :D

Yours,
-Elly

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Ill would never buy a M$ console. Heck i didnt even payed for win...ops....

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Mad said:
lol and if u did pay, that's a real crime lol :lol:

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Mad said:
Maybe you'll understand this when you're older and wiser:

I don't like Sony for what they did during the PS2 hype and the effect it had on DC sales and the downfall of Sega. But when they have a good console and they have something I look for and offer better quality than their competition, why shouldn't I buy it?

The same goes for you, who cares if it's a M$ console when it can provide you with games / technology / fun that other companies can't offer?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I dont like MIRCOSOFT. Stop competitive with PS2 and Nintendo and just go away in your own business with PC you are doing. *I will never ever buy XBOX at all.* I hope they failed the next system then they can move on with their PC stuff and let PS2 and Nintendo do the business with video games things.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cid Highwind said:
Maybe you'll understand this when you're older and wiser:

I don't like Sony for what they did during the PS2 hype and the effect it had on DC sales and the downfall of Sega. But when they have a good console and they have something I look for and offer better quality than their competition, why shouldn't I buy it?

The same goes for you, who cares if it's a M$ console when it can provide you with games / technology / fun that other companies can't offer?
You may like to know that Virtua Fighter X and Project Hedgehog (sonic) Were being previewed behind closed doors on the 360 at E3.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
rockmangames said:
I dont like MIRCOSOFT. Stop competitive with PS2 and Nintendo and just go away in your own business with PC you are doing. *I will never ever buy XBOX at all.* I hope they failed the next system then they can move on with their PC stuff and let PS2 and Nintendo do the business with video games things.
That's nice. Nobody cares about your opinion. :rolleyes:

Regarding the free XBox Live service, there will be free gameplay provided on the weekends. So, no, it's not just a messenger service.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
i'm not going to get it unless they have a major change in game line-up. The Xbox completely failed to get me interested. It's the first system i haven't at least put on a list of things to get eventually. They gotta have more than Halo and Oddworld to get me interested.

·
Digital Designer
354 Posts
there 3 type of xbox live version on 360 free one, the second one is free also but u need to pay once i think and the 3rd one u pay per month because it has more features, and i'm getting the third one

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
rockmangames said:
Honestly anymore it's really dumb to hate a company. I mean people were mad at Sony when they didn't just want to make tvs anymore and made the playstation. It's the same thing for Microsoft. I mean you don't have to like them, but hate? It's not like they really took over at all, and hell if a company can bring something new to the grounds of games, bring it on. I'm not a xbox fan or anything, or even a fan of any system.

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
Actually more competition between companies = more rewards for customers. Keeps the game prices in check and also makes the company work harder to get more customers. If lets say Sony, Nintendo or MS were the only company left... you dont wanna know how much they will charge for their consoles/games etc. I really hope all three companies make enough sales to keep the competition up. :thumb:

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
Good point xRockx, you always need competition. So one can set new goals, things get pushed along a lot more that way while keeping prices down. Other want to get ahead so they put out something better, then the company taht was ahead before says "oh crap...make soemthing even better than that right away..."

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
Oh and also anyone with a new idea gets more money. As the companies are then looking for new breakout games and developers. Especially independent developers are treated more nicely. So overall everyone benefits.. maybe except the console makers as they have to funnel more money into the console.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
We should thank both Sony, Nintendo and MS, because if just one or two would have existed there wouldn't have been as much competing and we wouldn't see such a cool next-gen consoles.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
It dosn't matter even if one of them is a mini earth simulater built by a company that donates almost all thier profit to charity, I would pay closer attention to the games lineup than the console or company

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
shadow89 said:
lol and if u did pay, that's a real crime lol :lol:
offtopic: That was your 666th post, you are going to hell for sure :evil:

j/k :lol:

Ontopic: I saw this on G4 tech TV.

Ill would never buy a M$ console.
And we care because... ? :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you don't like an m$, don't bother telling us because we don't give a [email protected]#%

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Seta-San said:
i'm not going to get it unless they have a major change in game line-up. The Xbox completely failed to get me interested. It's the first system i haven't at least put on a list of things to get eventually. They gotta have more than Halo and Oddworld to get me interested.
Would you just shut up already? We've already heard your stance against the XBox several times. There's no need for you to go parading around in every thread that contains the word "XBox" and repeat it. You sound like a ****ing broken record.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts