Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed something about PSX and PS2 disc media. For the PSX, I only own two retail discs and both discs are black. I'm not talking about the cd disc label, but the discs themselves are entirely black colored. I looked around the internet for some pics of other games besides the ones I own to see if they too use black discs, and all of them that I saw were also black colored. So if anyone can confirm that all retail PSX discs are black, I would appreciate it.

But as for the PS2, I couldn't quite get a clear answer. Especially since I don't own a PS2 yet and thus no retail games. So if anyone could tell me about the color of the discs for PS2 games, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think the PSX discs are actually extremily dark blue.

PS2 games seem to be mostly standard silver, with a few ps2 logos dotted around. That's assuming their DVD based. There are some titles that can fit on a standard CD, which are blue.

I'm just guessing, correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Color does not matter whatsoever. I have a gold ps2 game as well as silver and blue, Most PSX games were black because that is what Sony wanted to do so the could look cool I guess. Most ps2 games are on dvd some are on regular cd's. All psx games were on just regular old cd's. It was the region lock, and somthing about bad sectors that kept you from copying them without a speacil addition ;)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
psx cds were black bottomed. ps2 cds are blue bottomed. ps2 dvds are silver bottomed, but i believe i may have had gold bottomed as well..
some people say that as their ps2 gets older, it has problems reading blue-bottomed discs.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Strange ... My sister got a new PS2 and it reads all of them. I would send the one that didn't read the discs, if it's still under warranty. Obviously that's a defect.

·
band
4,912 Posts
indeed, i told him to return it but he just keeps saying forget it. tho i do know why tho...there are NO games nowadays that come out on CD anyway. (oh, im not sure if neone said it already, but the blue bottomed ones are CD based)

·
Registered
504 Posts
The problem people would have with PS2 disk read errors was mainly with gold disk (dual layer disks (ex. Xenosaga), then the standard dvds and then the blue cd ps2 disks. I tryed to burn my ps2 out by playing movies over night so that I could collect the warrenty. I knew it would burn soon, but I didn't know when, so I gave it a push.

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
PSX games are black. PS2 games are supposed to be dark blue/purple but only 20% maybe follow that rule. Most of the DVD games especially aren't blue, rather silver or gold.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
I heard that PS2 games released on CD also had its own color...

gonna find out that soon ;]

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
You'll find out soon enough if you read the whole topic :p

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Just a quick blurb...

The blue bottomed PS2 CD's were made of a lighter material then your standard CDs. This caused a problem when the game was accessed at full speed (especially those who use a PS2 vertical stand). The disc would wobble, and this caused them to easily get scratched. Folks complained enough for Sony to stop distributing the blue bottomed discs

S

·
0 Posts
D.D. said:
indeed, i told him to return it but he just keeps saying forget it. tho i do know why tho...there are NO games nowadays that come out on CD anyway. (oh, im not sure if neone said it already, but the blue bottomed ones are CD based)
actually, it happens...
Gradius V (2004) is a CD, not a DVD, and it has a blue bottom.
reading DW's post, would this explain the lack of availability of the game?

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Possibility...thats strange...maybe Konami is trying to get rid of blue discs laying around.

Virtua Fighter 4 and Tekken Tag were also CD, and they were shipped in both silver and blue (Original and Greatest Hits)

S

·
0 Posts
upon checking, I have two titles from 2003 (road rage 3 and space in vaders invasion day, both were in the bargain bin) that have the blue bottoms as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts