Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever wonder why the ps1 bios were so crapply done? i mean they looked terrible. And i even looked at the sega saturn and the bios were done better even on that. It just sparked my intrest while looking at my ff7 saves...

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A BIOS is just an abstracted communication layer between the hardware and the software. Its not really supposed to do much more than that.
i dont know, it could look a little better than it did though, i mean i could remake it in microsofts paint program. But you look at the ps2 bios, it looks much better. Yes it is a gen. above but, going backwards still looked better.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
The original linux kernel was absurdly small too ("primitive", one might be tended to say), but fulfilled a similar role: provide a way to allow programs to communicate with the hardware. Else, its only a pile of metal you would have, along with code/games that would have to be coded with direct access to the hardware. These abstraction layers matter, but since a few years, bloat seems to be looming to become the next norm, especially with legacy code.

People just got used to it becoming more and more leaning towards parallel functions to its main purpose (such as to integrate dvd decoding and full applications into it).

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
anyone ever wonder why the ps1 bios were so crapply done? i mean they looked terrible. And i even looked at the sega saturn and the bios were done better even on that. It just sparked my intrest while looking at my ff7 saves...
IIRC, PS-X was in development for longer than Sega Saturn for whatever reason... and I guess they just can't be arsed to "tout" that memory card manager screen to make it look any prettier, since the plan was to originally use them only to store high scores and the likes. :p (who would have to go into the manger just to copy over some bytes of scores?) Then people started "storing" more than just high scores, and... well, you can guess the rest.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
i doubt they really saw priority in prettying up something that most users dont really pay much attention to.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Memory card management and CD listening-to...

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Maybe the bios design was an afterthought.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
But they should have, considering how important those two features are.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
They are not really that important in my opinons. Not so many people would buy a $400 console back then just so they can listen to their music CDs now?

And not like games would take up a lot of memory card space back then. It was only towards 2000 that games started using up a whole lot of memory card space. One memory card was all it took at the very beginning.

Plus I think they would find that attractive or artistic back then...

Tastes differ. Now we are all for simplistic designs. Back then, it was all for dark, metalic, or colorful and hippy designs. If you'd consider it... Windows 98 doesn't look much better than the PS-X interface, either.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
They are not really that important in my opinons. Not so many people would buy a $400 console back then just so they can listen to their music CDs now?

And not like games would take up a lot of memory card space back then. It was only towards 2000 that games started using up a whole lot of memory card space. One memory card was all it took at the very beginning.
Still - it's a feature, and it works well for people who had an awesome sound system hooked up to their TV, but their stereo was in another room.

As for memory cards... when every save takes at least 1 memory card block (out of 16, was it?) How could you not run out of room quickly...

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Back in 1994 I paid $100 for a Sega CD player and part of the reason was to play music CDs on it! so yeah, I can imagine people using the CD of their Playstation, and IIRC even in 1996, Playstation consoles were ~$225 with a Battle Arena Toshiden added...

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
My cousin bought the overpriced Sega CDX, and ended up using it as a portable CD player for a while.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I onestly never payed any attention to that detail :lol: and i dont think il ever care :p the games are whats important to me :D if i want interface il just tweak my windows but for consoles i'm preaty much pleased with everything as long as it simple and easy to browse throught

1 - 17 of 17 Posts