Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there was a way i could preview an avi torrent file that's not finished downloading like i can when using getright or mirc,is this possible?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Well in theory, if you've preallocated the space, it should work

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Kazaa lite comes with a very usefull tool called AVI preview. Try it

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
but arent torrents downloaded not in order. i stop an MP3 download before it was finished once and all the songs were mixed part of the album. does doing finish allocation really puts them at there correct spot during download? and if you do that wouldnt thereba some blank spots?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You'll have mixed luck. Like Chrono said, Bittorrent does not download files contiguously. Also AVI is just a container format, which means that the contents could be a lot of things, such as DivX, Xvid, etc... Formats like MPG (and MP3) are sort of a linear format where the video and audio data are placed together, in order. This is why, when you only get 50% of one of those files, you can still play it in something such as WMP without any extra effort. AVIs really like to be whole when played, but you'll have varying success based on which parts of the file you've downloaded and the codec it uses.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
hmm? I thought BT locks the file till it's fully downloaded. And even if you managed to unlock it, you wont be able to preview it since BT collects pieces in random order, depending on their availability...

Yours,
-Elly

·
Registered
59 Posts
Usually when Im trying to view a half downloaded file I use a program called virtualdub
which most of the time reconstructs header information, set audio and video settings to directstream copy, and save it to another file. Not sure how this would work for BT avi's though.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
Kazaa lite comes with a very usefull tool called AVI preview. Try it
I agree with MEtalmurphy but there is a catch. Avi Preview will only read continguios blocks from the begging of a file. So you can in theory read a file but only the contingious parts that are connected to the first part of the file.

·
9,358 Posts
Like I said, BT downloads are different from IRC/Kazaa/HTTP/Emule(?) downloads. The reason why you can preview them is that you recieve the file from the very first byte till the last one in consecutive order, BT doesnt work this way. BT splits the file into pieces of ( usually 500-200 Kb each) and download them on random order until the file is completed.

Yours,
-Elly

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
I know what your saying elly but in some clients you can specify which parts to download in which order or higher priorty*. Dosen't that mean then that you could use AVi Preview?

·
9,358 Posts
If you are downloading multiple video files within the same torrent, then you can specify which files you wanna get first, that can be done in Azureus. However, AVI preview doesnt play incomplete avi files downloaded via BT, I always tried to find a way to play them but I couldn't and I would love if someone proved me wrong.

Yours,
-Elly

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Well I remeber being able to preview a file from bittorent with azueus because it decided to download a large beggining chunk once but ya its pretty much impossible unless you can specify which block section to get first... maybe a new feature?

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Coolsvilleman said:
Well I remeber being able to preview a file from bittorent with azueus because it decided to download a large beggining chunk once but ya its pretty much impossible unless you can specify which block section to get first... maybe a new feature?
could be a nice feature but then again it will probably decrease the speed of downlaod.

Elly, I think emule downloads the peices that are available like bittorrent so the results should be the same

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
I believe Azureus has the option to download files in order, or at least with earlier parts of the file having preference.

In my experience .avi files will not play if the header is not intact. I have tried vdub, avipreview, mpc, and vlc and none of them would read an avi if the beginning of the file wasn't there.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>Elly, I think emule downloads the peices that are available like bittorrent so the results should be the same

eMule has an option to download first and last chunks first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts