Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a dreamcast soon for an arcade cabinet I'll be making, and I need it to be able to play import games from Japan. I'm not asking about mod chips, boot discs, etc, because I know such talk is usually avoided in these forums.

Anyway, I seem to remember something about the early dreamcasts being able to play imports without the need of a modchip/boot disc. Does anyone have information on this early model (perhaps the model number)? It would save me a lot of trouble if I didn't have to deal with anything that is in the gray area legal-wise.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
D.D. said:
what does the model number look like? if its not something like hkt-3020 then point me in the right direction and i can tell u what mine says.
From what I read on wikipedia, maybe I should be looking for the version number. Wikipedia: "Units manufactured with the version number of 2 would not read CD-R media and therefore could not be used to play pirated games, and also had the unfortunate side effect of not being able to play independent games such as the three bleemcast! discs, Feet of Fury, Inhabitants, or Maqiupai."

*EDIT*

I did some research and found out that no NTSC dreamcasts are region-free, which means I will need a boot-disc. However, it does look like some of the last dreamcasts made could not even read cdrs. I'll try to stay away from Dreamcasts with this label:

· Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I just bought a used dreamcast off ebay, along with The Last Blade 2. Once I buy an import game (most probably Guilty Gear X), I'll give those boot discs a try. Until then, I'm going to try some snes games on my dc. :)

· Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hushypushy said:
yeah, i wasnt arguing that they werent warez or anything :rolleyes: but AFAIK the disc itself is legal. kind of like any emulator. it's legal but it can be used for devious things.

btw, what do you mean by "alternatives which are better"? why are they better? im not challenging you, i actually want to know.
I found some info which may help you: http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/playing_imports.shtml

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.