1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
Yeah, indeed KDE and Gnome are the most famous Desktop Environments for Linux platforms. If you planned to install everything by hand then yes, you would have to compile linux first and then one of those two, and then manually install/compile every application you planned to use (such is the case of Gentoo). However with distributions like Fedora Core 4, Suse and Ubuntu the installation is a breeze, even easier than a Windows XP if you ask me. For first time users I'd like to recommend Ubuntu, which seems to be the easiest to use out of the lot of distributions. (although I'm pretty happy with my Core 4 installation :p)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well, I would said Suse is best if you want to move to linux. Like proto said, Suse got everything set up for user to set up their computer in hardware unless if you are using ATI card. It because up till now I use suse, I have to install ATI proprietary drivers to get my display working. Anyway, its a nice plan to move to linux.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Mepis is more of a LiveCD distribution...it can be installed to a HD if chosen to, but updates are pretty limited.

I'm gonna recommend Suse too :) I tried Ubuntu....still don't see all the hype about it

and congrats with moving from Winblows :)

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kirby said:
Mepis is more of a LiveCD distribution...it can be installed to a HD if chosen to, but updates are pretty limited.

I'm gonna recommend Suse too :) I tried Ubuntu....still don't see all the hype about it

and congrats with moving from Winblows :)
ohh I see, yeah I will go with suse going to take a while to download the 5 cds X_X, but is worth it hehe ^^', and yeah I was tired of Windows and I was just complainting about it in every possible way XD, btw do you know of something similar to this:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

but that does that using mac and not windows..

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kirby said:
that's basically a closed source project that uses the Wine sourcecode

http://www.winehq.com/

not as easy as using crossover, but it is free and open-source :p
=o..thanks for noticing..well I dont mind taking a bit of extra time I just cant leave my photoshop and flash behind just like that xD

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
moomoomoo said:
Have you noticed that people moving to Linux endlessly attempt to make it like windows?
ehh why are you saying that...I just need to use macromedia and adobe(actually just Adobe now lol..) and since they wont make them for Linux =(, and besides I'm tired of using like 5 programs to run skins to try to erase the fact that I use Windows XD

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
Kirby said:
I tried Ubuntu....still don't see all the hype about it
Well, from the initial install, the hardware support is simply great (On my laptop, everything was supported, even the Fn keys...ok ok, my memory stick reader wasn't supported but I barely use it anyways). Also, I personally like apt-get better than YaST (Ubuntu is based off of Debian afterall).

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,493 Posts
you want advise. after you get totally setting it the way you want... Don't **** with it. you'll regret it.

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moomoomoo said:
Sounds like you are a regular user of these programs - you realise they won't run as efficiently under linux than a good install of XP?
Yeap I know, I just need them to use them sometimes, at least my wholse systeme wont crash ._. when another programs goes wrong for some odd reason..

that's why I was wondering is there something like wine but for that use mac instead of windows..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like .... wow ....

Been wanting to move to Linux for a long time but never really had the motivation before. Tried SuSe but didn't really love it.

However .... on the word of various posters here I decided to download and try the ubuntu live cd and .... Like ... wow ....

Supports all (and I MEAN all) my hardware right from the go. What really surprised me was the fact that it allows to me to connect to the internet through the ICS machine downstairs, when all the googles I found suggested this couldn't be done. I didnt even have to do anything it just works ... It is a little slow, but I'll attribute that to the fact I'm only running the LiveCD (I'm on it right now). Definitely gonna dl and install the OS.

later

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
hooloovoo said:
Like .... wow ....

Been wanting to move to Linux for a long time but never really had the motivation before. Tried SuSe but didn't really love it.

However .... on the word of various posters here I decided to download and try the ubuntu live cd and .... Like ... wow ....

Supports all (and I MEAN all) my hardware right from the go. What really surprised me was the fact that it allows to me to connect to the internet through the ICS machine downstairs, when all the googles I found suggested this couldn't be done. I didnt even have to do anything it just works ... It is a little slow, but I'll attribute that to the fact I'm only running the LiveCD (I'm on it right now). Definitely gonna dl and install the OS.

later
I don't see why it wouldn't work. ICS just turns the machine into a DHCP server and a gateway. From the Linux machine's PoV, it shouldn't care what type of devices it's talking to or what OS they're running. I have a Windows 2003 DHCP server and Ubuntu receives on IP just fine from it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well thats good to know. It was just quite a shock when everyone kept telling me that it wouldn't work. Anyways, about to go install ubuntu ... hopefully an xp dual boot won't be too problematic, had a horrible time with SuSe :(.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.