Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In FFVIII, FFIX, and CC (those are the only ones i have tried so far), They are all pixelated. the FMVs, the battles, normal, etc. why? i have listd my specs below. also, my music is extremely crude and fast and choppy. if some of my configs are unnessesary then please tell me howi can optimize them. also do u know of a better plugin?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Information
DirectX : DirectX 8.0 installed
Processor : Intel Pentium III, 600Mh
Video Card: OGL D3D

*--------------Pete's DSound PSX SPU----------------*
| ePSXe Configuration Item | Current Setting |
| Sound Enabled | Yes |
| CDDA Enabled | Yes |
| XA Enabled | Yes |
| XA Read Enabled | Yes |
| SPU IRQ Hack | No |
| [General Settings]
| Volume: Medium
| [XA Music]
| Enable XA Playing: on
| CHange XA pitch, if it is played too fast: on
| [Misc]
| slow timer: on
| use SPU IRQ: on

*------------Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.52-------------*

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60 (50 if i am playing THPS2)

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on
- Frane Buffer Textures: 2

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
For the SPU, try Andy's SPU (probably the best choice, based on your configuration), Eternal SPU, or Iori's SPU. As for the graphics, it shouldn't be that big of a problem. Try using Pete's OpenGL plugin with the same configuration you currently have. You should upgrade to Pete's 1.54 plugins.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Eternal spu may be a bit rough on his system so I agree that Andy's is likely the best choice. I don't know what his particular video card is I didn't see it there in the list. As for pixelated fmvs you can uncheck unfiltered framebuffer updates, though it may have a bit of a performance impact on your system. You might also want to try settings filtering to 2, you may like how it looks better, but then again maybe not. Other than that there isn't much more for you to try that I can see. And yes you definitely should upgrade your plug-ins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok the FMVs still look pixelated, i upgraded and i am using Pete's OGL same config. and it is running extremely slow. when i go through a door it kinda "hangs" should i up the fps? and i am using andy's but it doesn't seem to match the game like it does on the PSX. it is kinda slower.

~thanx

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by Murac
ok the FMVs still look pixelated, i upgraded and i am using Pete's OGL same config. and it is running extremely slow. when i go through a door it kinda "hangs" should i up the fps? and i am using andy's but it doesn't seem to match the game like it does on the PSX. it is kinda slower.

~thanx
The reason why it kind hangs because its loading the next scene from the cd.. Playing as an iso will help alleviate the hangs while switching scenes...

AS for your pixelated graphics.. Play at a resolution of a multiple of the original psx resolution.. The psx can use weird resolutions that PC's don't normally use.. Find the closest match.. 640x480 works pretty good with 2d stuff.. Turn on 4xFSAA if you have a capable video card.. It will help tremendously with the pixelated 2d.. Bilinear filtering smooths the 2d but it comes with its own problems.. I usually use filtering without sprites for 2d games.. 4xFSAA will lessen the pixelation and the 640x480 res will as well..

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
fivefeet8, you said that he should use a resolution multiple of the original psx like 640X480. Is it ok using 800X600, for example? btw, which is the original psx resolution?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by Zephon
fivefeet8, you said that he should use a resolution multiple of the original psx like 640X480. Is it ok using 800X600, for example? btw, which is the original psx resolution?

From my experience.. 800x600 is not as good as 640x480 for 2d stuff in general.. There is more pixel stretching at 800x600 than at 640x480.. 4xFSAA works best when the pixels aren't stretched as much.. Hence 640x480.. I have tested both resolutions on many 2d games and 640x480 or 960x720 seems to work the best.. The reason being is that the psx uses 320x224 or 320x240.. Some psx games even use other resolutions.. As you can see, 640x480 is a closer match to the actual psx resolutions... 320x240 X 2 = 640x480.. The FF games uses that weird 320x224 resolution.. except maybe FF7.. Which is why even using 640x480 res and 4xFSAA helps but doesn't alleviate the pixelation totally.. It does really help though.. Check this shot of FF9 then FF7.. FF7's 2d background look better..

FOr 3d games though.. It doesn't really matter because 3d can be filtered more easily than 2d.. OF course you can notice some differences from the actuall psx game.. Sometimes the characters are taller, shorter, or fatter than in a real psx..

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
While we're on the topic of FF7... in the battles I get this weird flickering at the bottom of the screen. It's like the windows that opened protruded a little below a certain line, and the part that stuck out keeps flickering on and off. Any suggestions? I've tried messing with OSD, to no avail.
Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.54
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce2 MX/PCI

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 0
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000001]

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Asfaloth: Switch to Pete's D3D plugin. Almost all the flickering is eliminated. I assume you have the FF7 fix checked.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
hmm... Don't know much about that problem with petes ogl pluggin.. Since I have a voodoo 5 and use lewpys glide pluggin.. The same problem does happen using lewpys glide pluggin as well though.. Flickering junk beyond the actual screen into the black boarders.. Thanks to lewpy, he added a key to fix those problems even though maybe he didn't intend it to be used that way.. hehe..

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
fivefeet8, thx a lot for the info

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok well the chracters look much better now. but the sound is still too slow. i am still using andy's. any suggestions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry i forgot to ask anyway. in THPS1 when i try to play the game when it goes to the loading screen it freezes. and THPS2 sometimes the keys don't respond (usually whnei restart) why? the game moves and my character does too but just straight no controls...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts