Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would share this with you guys since many of you might appreciate the ability to project your emulated games almost anywhere you go! This is especially relevant if you want to project your games from a mobile phone or PDA. There is a link to a slightly NSFW picture which I am hoping will not offend too many of you. I wanted to show the projector in action, but I didn't have a gaming console with me at work...just the iPhone.

After going back and forth about getting involved in first generation technology I finally decided to buy the Optoma Pk-101 for my iPhone. I have the iPhone 3GS, but it should work fine on any OS 3.0 video iPhone.

My main need was to use it as a portable presentation device so I can explain the business of CrowdGather and our network of forums to investors and potential partners no matter wherever I am. It requires saving my Powerpoint as JPEG and then flipping through the individual slide pictures.

It took me a while to figure out that pictures only show up if you hit the play button on your iPhone albums. Others have complained that the device is not working and not showing iPhone images, but the secret i ****ting the play button. Video works like a charm right out of the gates.

The resolution is low and the device is much better in a dark room, but I can easily throw a decent powerpoint on 8 1/2 by 11 inch size horizontal that is perfectly viewable if there is some dimming of overhead lights. In darkness you can get a huge screen that will impress your friends, especially since the projector works on a rechargable battery and easily fits into your shirt pocket.

The major criticism of this product is that lack of compatibility with your laptop computer. My position is that if I have my laptop screen, I really don't need the projector because none of the true pico projectors can throw a big screen picture except in total darkness.

The resolution is 620 x 480 which would be horrible for newer games, but for someone like me who likes the simplicity of older console games- it is perfect!

The speakers on the projector also suck which is why I have ordered a tiny cube speaker to use in combination with this set-up.

There are some fringe benefits to using a .flv ripper and then converting to MP4 for viewing ;)

NSFW link to one of the movies in my collection :D http://www.typcap.com/genmay/pico2.jpg

Amazon.com: Optoma EP-PK-101 PICO Pocket Projector- 4 oz.: Electronics

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
for youtube you can just use this bookmarklet. copy the code below to a new bookmark page's location.

javascript:if(document.location.href.match(/http:\/\/[a-zA-Z\.]*youtube\.com\/watch/)){document.location.href='http://www.youtube.com/get_video?fmt='+(isHDAvailable?'22':'18')+'&video_id='+swfArgs['video_id']+'&t='+swfArgs['t']}
and people on this site hate apple and i am number four on the list of number one haters, be careful talking about iphone and apple.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Looks like a cool gadget, it should have something for the PSP actually :) For the iPhone I can see it work as well, just to watch your movies quickly. On the other hand it doesn't beat the quality of a real PC screen or TV. I suppose for business purposes it has a slightly higher value, not in the least because it already attracts the attention if people see you bring out a mini-beamer from your pocket.

And it's not like people here hate Apple, Aceloop. We've got plenty of iPhone owners. Some would've preferred a more open product though that is less limited in features that we would consider "normal".

·
Deus ex machina
1,110 Posts
Any videos to see it working in action? Also how long does the battery last? I kinda like the device...

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
There is a link to a slightly NSFW picture which I am hoping will not offend too many of you.

NSFW link to one of the movies in my collection :D http://www.typcap.com/genmay/pico2.jpg
That offends us so much that we scream moar :p.

This reminds me when in my old neighborhood with a couple of friends (one of them having a high end projector) we projected a soccer match on a building that was epic a watch :p.

·
Read Only
9,687 Posts
I don't know if you were trying to impress the guys with that NSFW pic, but that was uncalled for.

We don't need that you try to "bond" with us like that.

I expected something else from the people running the show here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.