Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The readme for this excellent GPU it states: "If you have a 3DFX add-on card and you want to use OpenGL with it, you should place the
3DFX "opengl32.dll" from the 3DFX OpenGL SDK in your PSEmu Pro directory, don't
overwrite the original Microsoft dll in your System directory!"

I happen to own a Riva TNT2 M64, a nvidia based card. I was a little confused about whether or not I should use the file mentioned in the readme or if I should use the nvidia "nvopengl.dll". Also, I was curious as to how placing this file in the emulator's directory improves performance and how much of a gain is established. Or should I have taken this to mean that only 3dfx card owners should do this?

Sincerely,
RS

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
It seems to be referring to 3dfx cards.... I don't know what kind of a performance boost that would give me since I do have a voodoo 5.... Petes ogl pluggins have always worked for me even without the need to copy that file into the epsxe directory.... I don't really see how moving a file will improve voodoo cards ogl performance..... which is pretty ok actually on the voodoo 5's with the newest drivers.....

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I believe by add-on card there he means a non-primary 3dfx card i.e. voodoo 1 or voodoo 2 and which didn't work as primary cards. And the reason for moving the 3dfx opengl dll into the directory is because then it would take priority over the opengl32.dll in your system directory. Different optimizations and such, you may or may not see a performance boost, I don't own a 3dfx card, I can't test it for you, I'm just clarifying here for you. Tata!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yup, that text is very old, and it was meant for V2 addon cards.
If you have just a primary card, you don't have to do anything... windows
will automatically use your card's opengl driver.

Of course I don't recommend to use OpenGL with any 3dfx card... you
can try it, but I think you will find Lewpy's Glide plugin much more playable :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've experience flickering problems. Some times, the images "flickering" or "shocking" in PAL game setting (50 fps).

..solution ?
:eyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts