Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ItsNotMe
164 Posts
Anyone cares to post their result on Pete's latest DSound SPU plugin as compared to the others???

·
Old Geezer
148 Posts
Good news:
Easy to configure, good sound (deducing when XA audio is turned off).

Bad news:
Slooooow for low-end computers (k6-2 350Mhz). :(

Example: XA audio on (Tekken 3), 28 - 29 fps, if off, 35fps - based on gameplay
MIDAS 1.7 SPU plugin (XA audio either on or off), 38-42 fps, 50fps maximum.

Using Pete's CDR and GPU plugins and bios 7502.

My question is, how come Kazzuya's DSound plugin (0.6) is much much faster? :confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by wanderer
My question is, how come Kazzuya's DSound plugin (0.6) is much much faster? :confused:
Because Kaz was an Optimization freak :)

Example: XA audio on (Tekken 3), 28 - 29 fps, if off, 35fps - based on gameplay
MIDAS 1.7 SPU plugin (XA audio either on or off), 38-42 fps, 50fps maximum.
As far as i'm aware DSound doesn't have any built in Streaming functions! So he's most likely having to do 3 things with DSound whereas with Midas it was 1!
DSound: Lock the buffer, Feed the buffer, Unlock the buffer
Midas: Feed the stream
:)

·
Registered
313 Posts
ok, so it is not as fast as others.....but if it follows the logic it would be more compatible and stable righ?? ;)
Could someone shine a light here??? :eyes:

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Just like a bus.... You wait ages for a new spu plugin to come out then 2 come out within the space of a day or so:D. I'll check it out later (on the laptop at the mom)

·
The Wingman
201 Posts
Very good plugin indeed. way to go pete!

runs very well on my system (P3 800MHz) and Midi music/VAG is perfectly played.

all it needs now is some way to stop losing certain sounds when you press ESC and resume play and an interpolation feature. ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
I also notice that in some of the games the background musics got alittle fix-up, but yes there is a slowdown:( !!!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Just when I was about ready to go and write my own sound plug-in 'cause nobody else seemed like they were! For once a plug-in that is easy to configure too. Though I really do feel "safer" and more in control when there's at least 1,625 options to tweak with. Sound is practically dead on my system though with anything except loud. But now onto my results.

I went through and played into most of the games I have (which isn't saying much), started out with Chrono Cross. Waited for the intro movie to come up and eep! it started sounding exactly like it was playing with the latest version from Null2!! Needless to say I was extremely unimpressed with that. I went through and tried a few things, toggling on and off the spu irq, but nothing was fixing it. So I tossed it back into the can. Went onto Legend of Dragoon, waited for the intro movie to come up. Comes up just fine but eh? no sound? Tried the same experiments but nothing happened. EXTREMELY extremely unimpressed here. So then I load up my latest savestate. Music was sounding pretty good, the high notes being brought out a bit more than I appreciated but oh well. Went and started fighting a boss that had been pissing me off all night. Middle of the fight I had to exit to receive an icq message came back and the sound was all messed up. Hit del to check my fps and when I hit del again to close it everything went back to sounding wonderfully normal! Which gave me an idea of course. Went back and tried Chrono Cross, sound started out wacky as usual, popped up menu and closed it right quick, and then it started sounding wonderful!! Tried out all the rest of the games, all had sound problems til I did the menu trick then everything sounded right fine. Not quite sure why this problem is showing up but at least I know a fix now. And yes I'm running at full fps. So those are my results with the plug-in, congratulations to everyone that read this far and kisses to all my fans! ^,^

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
The one thing that I noticed about this plugin is great........My system specs are
P-III,500 Mhz,Riva TNT2 m64 from Asus (V3800),128MB ram
I was currently having 45fps on average with epsxe in the game GT2.......fps were full with other games.

Now after I installed the plugin I noticed that the fps in GT2 increased to 56fps on average.......that is I was getting fps minimum at 52 and max at 60.......what a relief for me.....!

I think that only those guys can get maximum out it which have a creative SBlive!...........yea......I have it.........I don't actually know!

Well it works good for me....thanks pete.......!

Ali
M.L.A

1 - 20 of 24 Posts