Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know that I am beating a dead horse here. I am sorry for making a new thread, but I thought it would be nice if Kyro users who have ePSXe working would

1) post their plugin
2) post any problems that they have
3) post their settings
4) post their driver version, and maker of the driver
5) post Windows version
6) directx version

The problems are as follows:
Pete's D3D - looks great, but hangs after 1 -2 minutes of playing
Pete's OpenGL - Sloooooow. Slower than the soft.
Pete's Soft - Runs good, but image quality is zero.

I know that there are some people who do not have problems. I have been obsessively trying to solve the problems, but have not managed to solve anything. I would appreciate any help people might give. (Also, I know that a Kyro is not a good buy. Please don't mock me. It would be ok except for ePSXe)

Thank you for any help you might provide.

-=Ninja=-

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Have you tried NickK's Next3D? The plugin is not as matured as pete's but...it's better than nothing :(
if the problem still presists (lock-up after 1-2 minutes) you might want to try going into the bios and setting the AGP speed to 2x.

·
Banned
7,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The card doesn't run at all with 4X AGP. I tried Nik's plugin but it runs at insanely fast speeds. Much too fast to be playable, and I have no idea how to slow it down. Every plugin I have tried does that except for Pete's. I really cannot explain why either. It pretty much does away with the alternatives.

·
I code therefore I am.
412 Posts
The card doesn't run at all with 4X AGP. I tried Nik's plugin but it runs at insanely fast speeds. Much too fast to be playable, and I have no idea how to slow it down. Every plugin I have tried does that except for Pete's. I really cannot explain why either. It pretty much does away with the alternatives.
That's because most gpus run as fast as they can. Pete's has a frame limiting capability that can sync with the 'frame' rate of the display. This is useful especially when you have a fast card, IE the Kyro.

Nick said he is going to add in Fram limiting but as he is on break for a bit :) it might be a little bit before he gets too it.

The Kyro is technically a great card, logistically it's a nightmare because it's limited in what it supports.

Cyb

·
Banned
7,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, even the plugins that do have frame limitations do not run at the correct speed.

But I have a question for Pete (If he is reading this). Pete, do you know why the Kyro chipset does not work with your plugins?

·
I code therefore I am.
412 Posts
Originally posted by Ninja
Actually, even the plugins that do have frame limitations do not run at the correct speed.

Did you find an option for VSYNC?
I know on Kazzuya's soft GPU there is one and this will prevent it from going too fast. All this does is use your monitors vertical sync to guage the frame rate timing.

Cyb

·
Registered
793 Posts
sorry if this has nothing to do with this topic, but im very interested with the kyro, which kyro are you talking about in the first place? the kyro 1 or kyro 2?
just how fast is a kyro 1 and kyro2?
thanks!

·
Banned
7,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried the Vsync option, and it still did not work right. Segu's has a fram limit option too, but it says that it is running at 34 fps, and it is actually running at about 90.

I have a Hercules 4000XT. (Kyro I). It works quite well with PC fps games, with a fairly high frame rate. However, it doesn't work with ePSXe, and has minor problems with Metal Gear Solid and Jane's USAF. 3DMark 2001 also does not benchmark well with it. ePSXe incompatability is a big problem for me, and I don't play a lot of fps game, and I don't really want it anymore because of that.

If you want one, I can sell you one that is in good condition. If you live in the US, I'll give you a good bargain. $60 Canadian + shipping. That amounts to about $40 USD plus shipping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there,

well, I also got a Kyro graphics card (3D Prophet 4500 w/ TV-out; Kyro II 64 MB), and I think it's a great gfx card.
It's even faster than a GeForce 2 MX-400 with most games that support high resolutions (i.e. 1024x768 and above), and it's sometimes even as fast as a GF2 GTS, although the Kyro is a low-budget card! :smash: :D

Anyhow, unfortunately the Kyro doesn't work well with Pete's D3D/OGL plugins for me... :(

With Pete's D3D gpu plugin 1.55 it's the common symptoms like Ninja mentioned. However with Pete's OpenGL gpu 1.55 most games work just fine here! Just, when I press the Esc key to exit the game the screen would turn black and it'd just freeze (I can still move my mouse cursor though...) and I'd have to reboot my PC!

To Ninja: Maybe you should install the PowerVR reference drivers (www.powervr.com) to get OpenGL running. I was having problems with OpenGL games/apps as well, before I installed the PowerVR reference drivers! So, I'd suggest you give it a try. ;)

Here are my system specs: (I know my CPU sucks... I'm gonna get a new one soon, when I get money.. heheh :p )

Pentium II 233 @ 291 Mhz
96 MB PC-100 RAM + 128 MB PC-133 RAM @ 100 Mhz
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 w/ TV Out
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live 1024

Windows XP Final Build 2600

----------------------------------------------

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.55
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: Imagination Technologies
GFX card: PowerVR KYRO

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R5G5B5A1
- Filtering: 0
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

====================

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.55
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: PowerVR KYRO II 32MB/64MB

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 6
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 0
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

Well, that's about it. Thanks for reading.
And good luck to you Ninja with your Kyro card!

To Pete: Nice plugins, pity these ones don't work well with my system :eek:

Cheers,
NachoKun

·
Banned
7,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NachoKun, thank you for your help. I am having a bit of trouble installing the reference drivers right now, but I will work some more on it tomorrow.

About the black screen on exiting ePSXe though, I found that if you press ALT + F4 when the black screen comes up, you don't have to reboot. Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts