·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peter Jackson Halo project canceled years ago
News by Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Jul 27, 2009 12:28 pm PT

3 comments

At Comic-Con, filmmaker reveals his Microsoft collaboration "collapsed" when film project fell apart in 2006.

Last week, Microsoft announced a new anime compilation based on its popular sci-fi series Halo. Unfortunately, the weekend also brought news that one of the most anticipated cross-media projects based on the multiplatinum series will never see the light of day. Speaking with game blog Joystiq, Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson said his long-awaited mystery Halo project, rumored to be called Halo: Chronicles, fell apart nearly three years ago.

"That Halo project is no longer happening, it sort of collapsed when the movie didn't end up happening," said the filmmaker, apparently referring to the film's indefinite suspension in 2006.

Though Microsoft had not commented on the project's cancellation as of press time, Jackson outlined the reasons behind the project's collapse. "Microsoft has a whole strategy with the Halo property, and when the rights expired with the two studios, that sort of ended my involvement with the project. That fell apart because of internal politics at Fox and Universal. It had nothing to do with the budget or anything else. In fact, we hadn't even been greenlit at all at that point."

Jackson's comments echoed those made on Friday by Neill Blomkamp, the unknown director who Jackson tapped when he was executive-producing the Halo film. At Comic-Con promoting his forthcoming cerebral sci-fi film District 9, Blomkamp aired an appreciation of the Halo universe, which was the inspiration for several live-action shorts he made to promote Halo 3. However, he also expressed bitterness about the Halo film's unraveling which would forgo him from ever signing back onto the project, should it ever emerge from turnaround.

Jackson, who is executive-producing District 9, also discussed the merits of games versus movies with another expert on both subjects, director James Cameron, who showed off footage of his sci-fi epic Avatar at Comic-Con. The pair praised games as offering a more interactive option for entertainment during a period where big-budget films' quality is declining. However, they agreed that games don't yet carry the same emotional resonance as films. "As much as I love video games, you don't cry during video games," declared Cameron.
---

lol pwned

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
thats because MGS is overrated.

anyway, Peter is too busy working on The Hobbit movie.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I really doubt a Halo movie would be any good. While I liked the Mortal Kombat movies, most gamers were scarred by Street Fighter the Movie, Dead or Alive, and even worse, Super Mario Bros...

Terrible movies...

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
At least we have the Gears of War movie to look forward to...
I'm sure there are enough-chest-high walls in cinema nowadays :p.

thats because MGS is overrated.

anyway, Peter is too busy working on The Hobbit movie.
MGS is overrated gameplay wise but it deserves all the praise it gets for Cinematics.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Some of the test videos that one director produced ended being rather good, despite how rough it was. I also think that it could have had some potential, especially if they took the direction with focusing on the regular soldiers activities and their struggles and making the Spartan units more of a legend or a feinting hope of survival. If they took the direction with having the master chief as the focus of the whole movie, it could run out of steam fairly quickly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later