Next Generation Emulation banner
921 - 940 of 1628 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
This build should fix the previously described errors.
WIP_PGXP_build_16_05_04.zip

The corrupted texture information seen in the OpenGL 1.78 plugin was actually caused by having the Tweak plugin previously selected. Just selecting the plugin caused it to initialise hooks into several OpenGL functions which were only released upon restarting PCSXR. I've modified the Tweak plugin to only enable its hooks just before starting OpenGL and disable them upon closing it, that seems to be working.

The stray triangles on Nvidia hardware appear to be caused by vertices with W values of 0 being processed (dividing by 0 results in an undefined value). Such vertices would not normally exist as the triangles would be clipped against the near Z plane, something the PSX doesn't do and can't be done by OpenGL without proper Z values (currently being used for masking values in the Tweak plugin). I've clamped W values to the near plane, which solves the immediate problem but could cause textures to become warped near the camera. If it causes more problems I can always look at clipping polygons in software.

@otherman
NCLIP's primary function is to determine if the triangle is facing the viewer rather than being occluded by a nearer polygon. You are right that depth testing could render it obsolete in many cases, such as preventing the inside faces of a mesh being rendered, although this isn't really necessary as the PSX renders geometry from back-to-front with nearer polygons overwriting those further back. Also, as explained above, the depth buffer needed for testing is currently being used to emulate the PSX's mask bit.

In some cases NCLIP would be necessary even with a depth buffer where a polygon is double sided, the hardware would try to render both faces with the same z values which would result in z-fighting where the depth test could have different results on a pixel by pixel basis. Or in cases where the view moves inside a mesh and the developer intends the player to see through it. This could be done using OpenGL's hardware face culling but my tests suggest that not all polygons have the same winding order so this can't be currently done in the plugin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@papermanzero @otherman @iCatButler @Asmodean778 Hi, comrades! I have win10 andproblems with launch of PCSR by iCatButler. I've already install Visual C++ 2015 redistributable and MSVCR100.dll (also placed it in directory with emu). PCSXR still doesnt work. Please can you provide step-by-step guide how to launch PCSXR. Cant wait to launch thi proper-texture-draw-awesomness

·
Registered
46 Posts
Finally remembered to do some Legaia this morning, it has these very huge 3D scenes early on I wanted to capture with PXGP, came out really well :)

There was one area which the perspective correction did not work much at all though (in the screen below). I'm not sure why, maybe the polygons were too small or there was lots of polygons being exchanged somewhere. But outside of this one cut in the intro PXGP really looked great with Legaia. Lots of large and regular geometric shapes that really highlight the difference with and without the perspective correction.

These updates are coming very fast by the way, nice work :)

Btw @iCatButler I noticed a weird bug on my desktop setup. Not sure it's my settings or not, but FMVs are totally black and white (no greys) with PXGP, or maybe with any PCSXR. Using a NVIDIA GPU (760 GTX). Have you seen this before?

Strangely doesn't seem to affect my laptop which I can run with Intel or NVIDIA graphics though. Almost certain settings on both my laptop and desktop are the same, but I didn't check 100%.

Also will try to make a video using your plugin changes soon :)

Edit - F6: Toggle Black & White decoders

Pressing F6 in games fixes the black and white high contrast FMVs, don't even know what that function is for, but fixed my problems :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
@lessner if you go to the first post in this thread there are links for most of the files you'll need (at least):
- PCSXR SVN r97972 + mods (VS2015 build)
- gpuPeteOpenGL2 plug-in v2.9

You'll need to unpack PCSXR and place the v2.9 plugin dll in the plugins folder. You should also create a folder called inis (will contain the config file for the Tweak plugin).

To use the PGXP build, download the latest WIP and put the pcsxr-pgxp.exe in the main directory with the existing pcsxr.exe file and put the two .dlls into the plugins folder.

@curryking3 I've never seen that bug before. Does it happen with both the 1.78 and 2.4 plugins?

·
Registered
46 Posts
@iCatButler I just checked now and it happens with both 1.78 and 2.4. I tried FF7 and MML just now on the 760 GTX.

It doesn't happen on the 860M/Optimus with the Nvidia chip or forced on the Intel chip on my laptop though.

The driver number is 364.72 on the 760 right now, gonna just update now and see if anything changes.

Update: yep updated drivers, but no change. I'm almost certain the settings are the same across my desktop and laptop. I'll keep checking and see if I can find anything on my end, but so far I've not found anything.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A truck snapped my house's power cable, and it took a long time for the electric company to restore power (4 days). Now that I can use electronics again, I'm glad to see that this thread has been updated with new stuff! To celebrate (kinda XD), I've recorded a few videos showing PGXP + widescreen hack in full 3D games. The games that I think are the most "beautiful" are Bushido Blade 2, Tomba! 2 and Bomberman Fatasy Race. Spyro Trilogy still has those "holes", and Silent Hill got "flickering triangles", but only on some fences and gore. Crash Team Racing now has the floor disappearing only below my character. Other issues aren't that obvious, but I don't mind that much.

The most weird thing is the slowdown in many games. It only happens with the widescreen hack, but it's annoying sometimes. Most games are 30FPS, but they'll run at a "steady" 21FPS. There's also those hiccups in the beginning of some games, but I guess that's because of texture loading. In NFS Porsche that will be more noticeable. That only happens with PCSX-R though, ePSXe doesn't have that issues.
Crash Team Racing
Tomba! 2 - The Evil Swine Returns
Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed
Bushido Blade 2
Bomberman Fantasy Race
I tried my best to keep good quality without sacrificing FPS too much. My system isn't powerful, so I could only record 720p. But anyways, thank you @iCatButler for doing this! And also @tapeq for starting this thread.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just wanted to give a little update, iCatButler, it seems the newest version that fixes the Nvidia stuff works well... except I think the fix breaks more than necessary, especially for racers. I tried it with R4 again and in first person, the ground right in front of the camera kept disappearing, it was maybe a blocks worth of triangles, so it's small, but it happened very consistently, so I've reverted for the time being. I think it works better for games with the Camera further back though! =) Great progress.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is it normal that 99% of the games I know to run perfectly in PCSX-R to just die immediately at a black screen? I can pretty much only run Ridge Racer and its first sequel. Note that this is on my laptop; my desktop insists there are no valid plugins with the exact same config no matter where I place said plugins or in which directory the required .exe resides.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I don't use pcsxr for 3 reasons. 1, five to six games I have don't work at all on it that work on epsxe. 2, increasing the rez is way too slow even on beast machines. 3, the inferior pete's plugin is it's main draw instead of the superior one.

Can't wait for this to eventually be port over to epsxe in 1.5 more years :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
Use the default plugin instead. It's faster, more accurate, scales better, and is the reason you should be using PCSX-R to begin with.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This build should fix the clipping issues with driving games like Ridge Racer and Crash Team Racing.
WIP_PGXP_build_16_05_06.zip

@TheDimensioner
PGXP adds quite a lot more work to the emulator, extra processing and memory needed to track the high precision vertices but also the added detail requires that more polygons pass NCLIP and need to be rendered. That might account for the extra slowdown that you're seeing. This would be amplified by having the widescreen hack enabled as that both increases the amount of geometry rendered but also compresses it horizontally, so in older versions even more polygons would have become degenerate and failed NCLIP.

Considering how insane the idea of mirroring all memory operations sounds I'm pleasantly surprised how well it runs :D

I think Simias and @tapeq deserve a lot of credit too. It was Simias' early implementation of the basic technique in the Beetle fork of Mednafen and Tapeq's adaptation to PCSXR that provided a starting point.

@superjupi
The missing plugins make it sound like your desktop computer doesn't have the required 32-bit Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) installed.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

I've noticed that quite a few games aren't working with my build of OpenGL 1.78 that worked with older versions (Chrono Cross hangs on going to the main menu) but work with the Tweak plugin. It's something I'm looking into, although generally the Tweak plugin produces superior results anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just tried out the latest version in R4, superb results iCatButler, really amazing job, good work! I don't get any issues in this game at all.

If ... "if" i were to nitpick, there is like one or two weird triangles when selecting a car, it only happens when that part of the car is disappearing from the camera's view, but seriously, it's amazing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
@superjupi
The missing plugins make it sound like your desktop computer doesn't have the required 32-bit Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) installed.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

I've noticed that quite a few games aren't working with my build of OpenGL 1.78 that worked with older versions (Chrono Cross hangs on going to the main menu) but work with the Tweak plugin. It's something I'm looking into, although generally the Tweak plugin produces superior results anyway.
I should have VC++ installed a thousand times over, but I'll check once I get home. Good to know about the Tweak plugin though; I misunderstood and thought OGL 1.78 was what you were working off of.

·
Registered
308 Posts
@TheDimensioner
PGXP adds quite a lot more work to the emulator, extra processing and memory needed to track the high precision vertices but also the added detail requires that more polygons pass NCLIP and need to be rendered. That might account for the extra slowdown that you're seeing. This would be amplified by having the widescreen hack enabled as that both increases the amount of geometry rendered but also compresses it horizontally, so in older versions even more polygons would have become degenerate and failed NCLIP.

Considering how insane the idea of mirroring all memory operations sounds I'm pleasantly surprised how well it runs :D

I think Simias and @tapeq deserve a lot of credit too. It was Simias' early implementation of the basic technique in the Beetle fork of Mednafen and Tapeq's adaptation to PCSXR that provided a starting point.
Yeah, but it's still amazing how good PGXP makes games look! I've tested back a fill games on ePSXe and saw the difference immediately. Everything "shaking" and polygons not as "polygonal" as they were(n't?) supposed to be. I don't follow the insides of PSX emulation so much, so I don't know any of the historical developers, or even most of the recent ones XD. But I thank anyone who's able to turn nostalgia as "vivid" as they were in my mind, remembering how I played those games as a child, which don't actually look like that in reality, without those improvements.

So, would it be possible to "overclock" the emulator? To add a similar function like Dolphin's or even Magic Engine. In Magic Engine, doubling the CPU clock, makes Castlevania: Rondo of Blood have no slowdown in the first boss' death animation, which would normally have, on default settings. I have not found any game that would normally benefit from Dolphin's overclock options on default settings, but it will help games that have custom textures, or even 60/120FPS patches added to them.

Regarding the newest build, it really fixes CTR, but now that I've loaded the game normally, after a save>load state, there is a lot more "hiccups" during every game, even if I load a state in the main menu and load a level normally. I think that's why there were a lot of hiccups in my videos, since I was using save states so I didn't need to go though logos/menus all the time if a video "failed". Booting a game and playing without states, goes smooth, besides the slowdown.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sure enough, x86 VC++ did the trick for the missing plugins, and so far, all the games I tried last night with OpenGL 1.78 that wouldn't start are running fine with Tweak. I won't lie though, I'd love to see the 1.78 hangs snuffed out. Still, I'm awfully impressed. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
@iCatButler

This is a bit late reply for the May 4th build.

I noticed a interesting effect in this build in the Tweaks Plugin where if characters were at the side of the screen they would be "pulled" forward if the camera moved forward in a really funny way. I can take some comparison screens if you like. I just thought it was interesting.

I just tried your May 6th build though and this was not apparent anymore. Did you already fix it that fast? Lol :)

These rapid updates are incredible by the way. The donation of your work and time is not unappreciated ;)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've been messing around with the internal rez multiplier. I just realized that I really don't see a difference from the default emu ones and I have them all the way to max. No clarity or performance loss. Although I am using the 4xmsal shader, I should still see a difference but I don't. Do the rez multipliers even work for epsxe?

921 - 940 of 1628 Posts