Next Generation Emulation banner

361 - 374 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Right... i can see now your previous post crumbled to dust... if your playing like that, since he had no where to run (he was going to die couse of the grenade) he sacrificed himself telling the other combine where freeman was, after all, he is a rutless alien ;) Like that?

·
Registered
153 Posts
??

- hl2 replay = 0,00 thats fact.
- in far cry enemys still shot at and don't give up like this combine even if a rocket is flying towards them. so which one would be challenging?
- this IS script dont you think? ;)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
That's right, FC AI is waaayyyy better than HL2... overall in realistic mode :((
and yes, HL2 is mostly based on script, though, the AI code is open and coders can
improve it for their own mod

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Geez if your saying that then EVERYTHING is script.

and "in far cry enemys still shot at and don't give up like this combine even if a rocket is flying towards them. so which one would be challenging"

This is ane example of stupid AI and yet you call it good AI couse its Farcry's AI... pathetic.

And no its not a fact. Thats why im playing it again in hard mode now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
"toss a grenade -> the enemy will give up realising his death -> you win...". now how stupid is THAT?

yeah looks like everything is scripted, not just the events. in FC atleast the combat was not scripted which is good. FC ai is better - at least listen what others say will ya? :p well anyway, have fun with the scripts. i'm done.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Lol i was joking about that :lol: You seem even more stupid then the AI. And yeah listen to the others you guys are a minority

·
Registered
496 Posts
AI isn't perfect in Farcry, either. I got personally annoyed at a couple things. Mind you, I've been through FarCry, so this is from personal experience.

1: If you're even close to them and try to throw a grenade next to them, or high in the air so it'll land on them, they'll magically "notice", even if they're facing away from you.

2: From that point on (after they notice you), they *always* know where you are. You can run all you want to ditch them, but they'll always magically "know" where you are.

3: If you're a freaking mile away from them, and if they are facing away, you shoot a rocket at them, they'll "magically" realize a rocket is coming at them and start running. I'd understand if they had to turn to see the rocket and start running, or even if a friend of theirs was warning them of the incoming projectile, but just knowing something is coming at them is not very fun.

So you can complain that Half-Life 2 has bad AI all you want, but you can't go and say that FarCry had a whole lot better of AI.
- Modem

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The more i replay HL2 again the more i realise you guys are VERY wrong. Im gonna install Farcry tomorow and compare the AI.

Oh and i only went personal couse i dont like beeing mocked ;)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
First off i'm not going to compare the AI between HL2 and Far Cry because they are both bad, but Far Cry posed much more of a challenge than anything i saw in HL2 (even in easy on FC). And yes, ALOT of things are scripted in HL2. If there's a table set by a door that was put there to block that door it will block it, but if you put like 4 filing cabinets and 2 tables in front of it they can easily push it over and shoot you (ever see that video the guy made?). Highly scripted it far from bad, but i didn't find much to give HL2 credit for aside from textures and physics. The enviorments were hardly anything new, weapons were cliche (aside from grav gun which is just like picking something up and throwing it), No real strategy to different enemies besides "peek-a-boo" shooting. (get behind something, pop up, shoot, get down, repeat) no enemies required different weaknesses aside from machinery with rockets, The puzzles weren't puzzles, just hitting a switch or stacking something, and it was waaaay to linear.

I PERSONALLY enjoyed far cry 10x more than HL2, but the Source Engine has alot more potential for future multiplayer experiences with how easily moddable it is aside from the not so polished netcode (HL2DM anyone?). Hopefully they can polish up the engine with some patches and we can get some good mods.

Variety is key for a replayable game, and that is something HL2 just doesn't have. Especially since i hated the driving sequences.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
When you are fighting a real gunfight do you stand out in the open like a bullet magnet or do you take cover until there is a lull in the shooting before you shoot

The netcode is good, maybe your connection has a problem

As far as I played

Example of AI:
Farcry:
*in the grass with a silenced weapon*
*shoots enemy in head*
Other Guy:What the
*a few seconds later*
That guy: Never Mind
Repeat until done

Half-Life2
*Kills guy with a crossbow*
combine:WTF? Search for him
*Finds me*
combine:There he is
*gangs up on me*

Doom3
*Spots Me*
demon:Charge!
*one of us gets killed*

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Player-X said:
When you are fighting a real gunfight do you stand out in the open like a bullet magnet or do you take cover until there is a lull in the shooting before you shoot

The netcode is good, maybe your connection has a problem

As far as I played

Example of AI:
Farcry:
*in the grass with a silenced weapon*
*shoots enemy in head*
Other Guy:What the
*a few seconds later*
That guy: Never Mind
Repeat until done

Half-Life2
*Kills guy with a crossbow*
combine:WTF? Search for him
*Finds me*
combine:There he is
*gangs up on me*

Doom3
*Spots Me*
demon:Charge!
*one of us gets killed*
Well i know you duck if your getting shot at you hide, but there are no specific strategies you can use to kill people, certain enemies dont have certain spots they can only be hit or any other way besides shooting them, far cry doesn't have much more, but its a lot more open in the decisions you make to get through a level.

And i also enjoyed Doom 3 quite a bit and can't wait for the expansion (especially after what i saw in PC Gamer). Looks like it could fix some problems the original had.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Not so dark? :p I think ill skip the expenssion and wait for Quake IV. That one will probably show the potential of the engine

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
Not so dark? :p I think ill skip the expenssion and wait for Quake IV. That one will probably show the potential of the engine
Well the potential of the engine is shown in the high res texture pack that was released (dont remember where) the only problem is with the lighting, bumpmapping, and good textures, only uber-computers can run it.

361 - 374 of 374 Posts