Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this has been a question that's been bothering me for a while, and I hope im not stepping over any thread rules with these questions. I just wanted to know why pcsx2 was slow at rendering frames or generaly emulating games.

In game menu's the fps I see on screenshots is around 5 - 20. Thats fine cause its only a menu. But what about ingame 3d, it just seems to run incredibly slow (0.4 - 2 fps)

Is this because most of the processing is done on the cpu and not on the graphics card. I know it must be incredibly hard to emulate ps2's internal functions, but is this simply a stage to first get everything working with pcsx2 (or to be able to emulate 100%), and then later implement optimizations for the engine to be able to speed up the emulation process?

Because there is still no sound emulation done, so I can just imagine how much slower it will get.

Anyways, I'm not bashing the developers in any way, in fact I think they are doing an absolutely amazing job and progress with this. Just wanted to get a lil feedback on what the limitations are, be it hardware or software limitations.

Btw, pcsx2 team rocks, keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Eric

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Triscope said:
Is this because most of the processing is done on the cpu and not on the graphics card. I know it must be incredibly hard to emulate ps2's internal functions, but is this simply a stage to first get everything working with pcsx2 (or to be able to emulate 100%), and then later implement optimizations for the engine to be able to speed up the emulation process?
your answer is right there. authors have mentioned this plenty of times.

Triscope said:
Because there is still no sound emulation done, so I can just imagine how much slower it will get.
there is sound emulation, infact there are two sound plugins available.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
use the search its been answered before. its slow becuase the emulator is in pre final hence the 0.6 version number. this will answer all your other questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it just seems a bit funny that a console that was released back in 2000, running on a 294mhz risc processor can still choke up today's highend systems running over 10 times its speed. I know i know, you cant compare a 128bit risc processor with 32bit pc cpu's. But still, I'm guessing that by the time pcsx2 is fully functional, we'll need a 6ghz cpu min, to run games at decent speeds.

btw, i didnt even know there was sound emulation done yet. Good job!

I also wanted to know how the gsmax plugin works, does it convert intructions for the gpu(graphics card), that would normally have been done on the graphics Synthesizer on the ps2?

there's so much I dont know, Im trying to look up answers in the forums, and theres alot of info, but nothing really clear.

Anyways, thanks.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
its not just a "294mhz risc processor" every part of the ps2 needs to be emulated. the vu vi spu(2 of those) EEE sif and the bus's "i think there are even more". it will probley take a 6gig 64 bit processor or even a dual 6 gig 64 bit processor to emulate this at full speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
god dayam that's alot of power needed. oO

However im sure thats the most we'll need. Given good software optimizations, im sure current hardware will be able to pull it off just fine.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
maybe todays very very high end pc... but that's not shure...
look at PSOne you need about 300 - 500 mhz processor to handle its emulation fine :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
well, to perfectly emulate 100% of N64 game requires roughly 5GHz, or so said a FAQ on a N64 emulators website...

but with moores law we can expect 10GHz systems in about 2 years, so not long to wait :p

doesn't a PSX use a 30MHz processor?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Triscope said:
god dayam that's alot of power needed. oO

However im sure thats the most we'll need. Given good software optimizations, im sure current hardware will be able to pull it off just fine.
Well that's not too extreme really. Assuming moore law applies that kinda performance will be possible in just over a year.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Not really. It all depends on the emulator. Any processor 2Ghz or higher should be able to emulate the N64 just fine paired with a decent graphics card.

/me turns the topic back on

There. :)

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
now if you know all that what's been said in this thread, think about how powerfull mashine you'll need to emulate PerfectlY PS2 ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts