Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, ePSXe seems to always use 99% processor time on my machine, regardless of the settings I use for audio/video/etc. This wouldnt bother me usually, but there are annoying slowdowns when I play some games (FF7: whenever a battle starts, drops to around 30 FPS during the battle-intro and video panning), and whenever another process finally gets even 5% processor time, ePSXe seems to have trouble processing keyboard input correctly.

What bothers me about this is my system should be more than enough to handle the emulator -- especially considering im running the games off ISO files. Am I forgetting to check/uncheck some option that slows things down? Someone please tell me theres something Im doing wrong, since I would like to think the developers didnt forget that there are other processes that need to run.

My system specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Mem: 1.5 GB GB 333mhz DDR
Vid: 256MB Geforce FX 5600 (AGP)
Snd: SoundBlaster Audigy2 (PCI)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
nah it's just the way it happens. there have already been threads made about this too, and the lessons gleaned thus far are these:

1. dont multitask and play ePSXe. why would you want to anyway?
2. your computer is not gonna explode if you are at 100% CPU. if it will, then your biggest concern at the moment isnt ePSXe.
3. ePSXe isnt very stressing; even though it's at 100% CPU it doesnt stress your CPU like an xvid encode or Prime95, for example.

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
1. dont multitask and play ePSXe. why would you want to anyway?
Sometimes I rip sfx from games so I got Audacity in the background. Sometimes I play at work and a quick alt-tabbing can save my ass.

2. your computer is not gonna explode if you are at 100% CPU. if it will, then your biggest concern at the moment isnt ePSXe.
ProcExp shows it's taking about ~50%. Not sure if it's supposed to take 100% like you say.

Probably he's got other issues, like too many TSRs. Even though I multitask quite a bit, my systray is relatively empty.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
press escape, not alttab lol

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
makotech222 said:
press escape, not alttab lol
Heh yeah, that too. I tend to alt-tab out of habit though.

Not sure if I noticed speed problems in FF7 on v1.6.0; gotta check that again later when I find the CDs.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
it's taken 100% CPU or damn close on every rig i've seen, except for HT machines.

and you shouldnt be playing videogames at work anyway ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wheres the fun in playing games at home?

Ok, so the slowdowns in FF7 are timing issues... What about the input errors? Its quite annoying to be curing enemies on a regular basis because ePSXe missed the message about me releasing the 'up' key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
None.
Even my other emulators handle everything perfectly -- ZSNES, GenS, MAME, and the other 6 or so I have are fine.

Would using the 'Play ISO' option be better/worse than using a virtual drive via Alcohol 120%?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
only differences is that with Run ISO you cant get CDDA sound; you can get CDDA sound if you mount it.

have you tried PSXeven, SSSPSX, or PCSX with a pad plugin?

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
965 Posts
hushypushy said:
only differences is that with Run ISO you cant get CDDA sound; you can get CDDA sound if you mount it.
Really? I use Run->ISO almost exclusively to play my games, and I have never noticed any missing audio. Or is there something I am missing here?

@Cerium: Just out of curiosity, what plug-in/settings are you using? I haven't had time to sit and try and tweak it again, but I am pretty sure I had it running 100% at some point in the past. Also, I think Run->ISO is a nicer option because it appears to be a lot faster than letting things access off an actual CD. Less lag and spin-up time after short breaks between loading, that sort of thing.

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

PS If you havent read it already, check out: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45533

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
TastEPlasma said:
Really? I use Run->ISO almost exclusively to play my games, and I have never noticed any missing audio. Or is there something I am missing here?
notice i said CDDA audio; perhaps none of your games have CDDA audio. and believe me, CDDA audio doesn't work with Run ISO. it's been proven ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.