Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder which gaming console will be emulated perfectly first, where the emulator matches the compatibility of the original gaming machine? Assuming the hardware requirements are met, are some of the emus under development now headed for perfection? Epsxe? Nemu64? Too hard to predict?

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by mojophone
I wonder which gaming console will be emulated perfectly first, where the emulator matches the compatibility of the original gaming machine? Assuming the hardware requirements are met, are some of the emus under development now headed for perfection? Epsxe? Nemu64? Too hard to predict?
The sega genesis and snes are almost emulated perfectly now.. They are headed for perfection..

·
Banned
7,778 Posts
I would say that ZSNES passed perfect a while ago. There aren't many games at all that don't run on it. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

·
邪魔ゎ指せない
26,303 Posts
I doubt perfection will ever be reached. We will come very close, but there are always improvements to be made. As regards perfection as compatibility, a lot of people will argue that VGS and KGen 98 are closer to that than ePSXe and Gens, yet people prefer to use the later.
The point is that the developers of the later decided to concentrate instead on improving the gameplaying experience over the original on a few games, rather than perfectly emulating 'perfectly'
IMO, nothing is truly perfect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes I agree...

and the portable units like GB/GBC/GBA and NeoGeo pocket were rapidly mastered (like the Atari/Stella emu). I just wonder about the PSX and N64 emus, since both consoles came out about 6 years ago, which will be virtually perfect first, or will they coincide like Genesis and Snes emus?

By perfect emulation I mean perfect functional semblance to the original, like the emulation of a sound through high quality recording. The original consoles were never "perfect", but they had to play all the games made for them. Seems like just a matter of time before an emu reaches the original's game compatibility, so I'm just speculating about that rate of development. It's also damn nice to have enhanced elements to the emulation, someone should be paying those guys/gals.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Originally posted by Ninja
I would say that ZSNES passed perfect a while ago. There aren't many games at all that don't run on it. I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Nope, perfect means in every way, there are stil lgames that don't run on ZSNES, although few, and it will never actually achieve perfection, because they "technically" gave up on Star Ocean and Far East of Eden, they are emulated, but not truly, they cheated to get around it, which doesn't count for perfection.

S

·
0 Posts
Nearest to perfection, ZSNES, MEKA, Z26, and GENS. Rapidly approaching that point, ePSXe. Will they ever be perfect perfect, I don't belive so. As for perfection existing, in my belief, there is only one who is perfect, but he isn't here right now, and we don't know when he is coming back. Note, this is only my belief, what ever beliefs others may have are fine also.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I really meant exact...

rather than perfect. Like an exact copy of something that isn't necessarily perfect. If any programmers of emulators are reading this I was curious: is taking apart a console gaming machine and mapping it's physical construction, as well as hacking it's firmware, part of the process? It just seems feasible to me that if you duplicate every part of a mass-produced CPU-based device's cirquitry and internal data, you could then make a software version that would have the exact same potential, and be tweakable as well.
But then I haven't done any programming since Apple basic (that's pathetic I know, but I can play guitar!).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
as my mythology teacher would say

Who doesn't strife for perfection, you know what I mean? Have you ever heard, "I try strive for mediorocracy." you know what I mean?

and yes, she says you know what I mean at the end of EVERY sentence, really quite annoying, I counting once in 5 minutes she said you know what I mean about 18 times.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Ow...Ryoga. Don't change the topic to that (at least in here).
Someday, if the developers don't drop the project, it will achieve perfection (ePSXe). Perfection as in a perfect copy is possible, but perfection as in it satisfying everyone, then it's not possible.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Emulation CAN become better than the Orginal , Snes Emulation on my view is better than the orginal !!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I think zsnes would be perfect emulated when we can run FEOEZ, SO and SFA2 without graphic packs.:confused:
But of course i think it's the best snes emu out there

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd say that the Turbo Graphix / PC Engine is perfectly emulated via Magic Engine. I have over 200 games and they all work perfectly, the CD drive is emulated, the Super Grafix, and I think in the newest release the Arcade card is emulated as well.

The other system thats pretty close to perfect is the Neo Geo, spread out over 3 emulators (mame, neorage, kawaks) all the games work. They just need to come up with one that plays EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by Recca
I think zsnes would be perfect emulated when we can run FEOEZ, SO and SFA2 without graphic packs.:confused:
But of course i think it's the best snes emu out there
SO & SFA2 Work on Zsnes even FEOEZ works (i think) , That is thanks to the Zsnes Team and Dejap Team !!

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I know that Dungeon Master and Star Ocean are NOT emulated properly yet on any SNES emu. And VGS has CRAP for sound emulation on a lot of games. Is the ZSNES team still working on getting those games that are left to work?
Also I think optimization is important as well. Even SNES emulation is choppy on my crappy system at times. I mean look at NESTICLE, it ran smooth as the original on my old 486Dx2 66mhz! Speed is important to me.:)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ok, let me clear up the star ocean thing, It IS emulated in a way, but its not trlly emulated, they decompressed the graphics packs on thier own and you have to download them to play the game, so it sort of emulated, but not quite.

·
邪魔ゎ指せない
26,303 Posts
Kudos to them for doing that. Kudos for the entire emulation. Perfection doesn't exist (excepting the special case sxamiga mentioned). You can find fault in anything if you look hard enough

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Originally posted by Zell

SO & SFA2 Work on Zsnes even FEOEZ works (i think) , That is thanks to the Zsnes Team and Dejap Team !!
I know they are emulated but what i mean't was that when you can play them without the packs then zsnes is maybe 99% perfect emulation

·
Banned
7,778 Posts
I am aware that those games do not work. But the fact of the matter is that you can cheat to get around the problems. I am not aware of any games that are totally incompatable with ZSNES. When you think about it, I am sure that every one of you has blown into the cartridge of your game, trying to get it to work. Is Downloading a graphics pack the equivalent of that? I would think so. As it stands, I would call ZSNES more than perfect. I haven't played much Gens yet, but for now it looks great. 2XSAI is a lot better in it too. I use it frequently.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts