Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
If I remember correctly, the GT220 is basically a 9500GT with additional functionality, higher clockspeed, and a dieshrink. I personally would avoid them and go no less than a 9600GT or equivalent.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember correctly, the GT220 is basically a 9500GT with additional functionality, higher clockspeed, and a dieshrink. I personally would avoid them and go no less than a 9600GT or equivalent.
Mhm. i was just reading a few more reviews on tomshardware, said the same thing. Seemed a lot more decent when i first saw it.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I'd rather get a HD4670, which also has HDMI, DX 10.1, 2 DVI.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
oh come on,

AnandTech: your source for hardware analysis and news

You must be utterly retarded to buy that card. nVidia doesn't even have its drivers finished properly.

The 4670 is cheaper, supports DX10.1 properly, is equally quiet AND performs better in games. Unless nVidia would lower the price already there's no point for anyone buying this.

Anandtech said:
Conclusion

There’s really no way to sugar-coat this, so we won’t: the performance of the GT 220 is abysmal. Or rather, the pricing is.

The GT 220 is a value card, and that’s something we can appreciate. But for a value card to be a good value, it needs to be at the right price. NVIDIA wants to see these cards sell for $69-$79, with the best cards (those with GDDR3) selling at that $79 price point. However depending on your taste for rebates, we can get a Radeon HD 4670 for between $59 and $69, or on the NVIDIA side a 9600GT for between $69 and $85.

Either one of these cards is simply going to beat the GT 220 silly; it was never meant to compete with a 64SP NVIDIA card, or a 320SP AMD card. And don’t even get us started on the 4850 that Newegg is selling for $85 right now…
So either you go really budget and low end, for an HTPC, or you just pay a few bucks extra and get a card that is also suitable for gaming while offering the exact same things this card does.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
So i was right for the 1st time around here?

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Saw the Anandtech summary of it. Both look like cards to avoid. The 220 is way weaker then a 9600gt and costs a little bit more. So why waste money?
Anandtech

The 210 uses ddr2...lol

the 9600gt has 2x the memory bus width, core runs faster, faster shaders faster, twice the texture address/filtering, more stream processors, twice the ROPS... all at basically the same price range.

who the heck is nvidia trying to fool?

But I'd go with the 4670 or 4850 basically around the same price or a little bit more. Those cards could crush the 220 with the bat of an eyelash.

And who needs hdmi, just get a dvi to hdmi adapter for 4 or 5 bucks.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Please. people will by this simply because its new, you know that. this very thread is evidence of such thinking :p
Of course phil. Bubbafat, simply represents one of the possible general public who could be convinced that its a great card by its name. I simply made the statement "what are they thinking?" to exemplify and cement (and basically ram down the throats :p) the ridiculous and absurdity of purchasing this card to all the computer unsavvy peoples minds who might venture onto this thread.

But what nvidia is doing is just trying to capitalize on the 200 series name with the high pricepoint of the card. It might earn them more money. So from their stand point it might turn out to be a profitable business decision.

But for the average layman they really don't need to know that. All they need to know is to avoid the card.

(overkill in making the point that this card is a ripoff? yeah im sure, but then you can't underestimate the thick headedness of some people out there :p (NOT talking about you Bubbafat))

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Also, referring to the title of this thread, these aren't GTX cards. The GeForce 210 seems to be called simply the GeForce 210, and the GeForce GT 220 is a GT card, not a GTX, nor a GTS. These came out way too late to make an impact, and are simply too expensive for the low performance they offer. Yes, as I said, these are utterly useless cards from a consumer standpoint.

·
Banned
76 Posts
I got a gts250(renamed 9800gtx+) recently and its great ,i think its the best card you can get for its price,Im not going to spend anymore then that on a gfx card, The 4770 and 4850 are about the same price/performance buts its ATI...

The 4770 had just come out and was sitting next to the gts250 when i brought it, i thought about it. but NAH

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got a gts250(renamed 9800gtx+) recently and its great ,i think its the best card you can get for its price,Im not going to spend anymore then that on a gfx card, The 4770 and 4850 are about the same price/performance buts its ATI...

The 4770 had just come out and was sitting next to the gts250 when i brought it, i thought about it. but NAH
When the GTS 250 1 GB were released the price was approximately the same as an HD 4870 1 GB which is much faster than a GTS 250.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
When the GTS 250 1 GB were released the price was approximately the same as an HD 4870 1 GB which is much faster than a GTS 250.
here and there yes, but not everywhere, the cards trade enough blows to be equal.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Wait, so you're saying the GTS250, which is basically the 9800GTX+, goes evenly with an HD4870? Granted, I haven't up with the latest benchmarks, here's my understanding of it. It's the GTX260 (the faster core version) that even has a chance at that. The GTS250 is below both of them. It's basically a notch or two above my card, which isn't quite as fast as an HD4850, let alone an HD4870. I think the GTS250 may be close to the HD4850, but not the 1GB HD4870.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Just got my HD4670 and im pretty happy with it.
BTW since it came with HDMI port, how long is the maximum cable for HDMI?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
well it's basically between the 4870 and 4850, depending on your preference in games the GTS250 may still be superior though

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.