Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you one of the people that plays RPGs but never reads through/pays attention to the story? If you are then you aren't a "Real" RPG player. RPG games aren't just random pointless battles, they are about the story the game is trying to tell you. If you are one of these people (like my dumbass friend) then give me your adress so I can come to your house and slap you in the face a few times.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
hey Asz, you seem really upset with your friend.. hehe..:D

i think what you said is true anyway, the only reason i keep on repeating rpg games of the nth time, was because on the first time i played it, i wuz just so engrossed in the story, .. sometimes stuff from rpg's wanna make me cry.. ehe.. err, did i just say that.. ehe.. :heh:

at any rate, i hope you don't kill somebody:D (j/k)

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
usually i don't pay attention to the story anymore when i've already finished it for the first time, i.e. FFVIII, to complete some of the side quests i missed. :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just thinking about it the other day and thought i'd rant about it here. ;) But yeah, my friend is just an ass in general, if you met him you would want to laugh at him then punch him in the face for being such an idiot. :D - Yeah, usually I skip through the story after I beat the game, but I stop if I forgot somthing. :eyespin:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by Xenomorph
I pay attention to story... but i also got spupid friend who likes RPG:s and he NEVER reads the subtitles in any game...
just like Xenomorph
I pay attention to story... but i also got stupid friend who likes rpgs and he never reads the subtitles in any game... because he dont understand english :p

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Heh, I love the stories in games (people say FF8's story didn't make sense, but I totally got it), but my sister never pays attention in ANY game! She's playin' Half-Life and a char tells her to do sumthin' and she doesn't do it and gets lost! When I tell her what to do, she asks "How do you know?" and I tell her "'Cause the frickin' game told you to!" Her address is . . . nah, too many peeps may come to hit on her :p.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The Fact most people play RPG's , Is the story , i played all Snes Rpg's and some of them have bad Graphics , Horrible Sound and the worst battle system ver but i played them becuse they had a good story Line !!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I really hate people who don't pay attention to the game at all (like my cousin), that really pisses me off, 'cause they just ask you what to do after 10mins of wandering and then when they ask you they ask "how do you know?!" (as you already said hehehehe)

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Originally posted by Zell
The Fact most people play RPG's , Is the story , i played all Snes Rpg's and some of them have bad Graphics , Horrible Sound and the worst battle system ver but i played them becuse they had a good story Line !!
Yeah, SNES rpgs really sucked(although it was good for the time), but the story made them worth playing. People who don't appreciate story would really be disappointed to play a snes rpg. I still remember playing Chrono Trigger...

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
One of the main reasons I buy a RPG is because of the amount of time you spend on it is worth every cent spent (which helps since I get no allowance and could only get a game if grades are high). Because of that, I pay REALLY close attention to RPG stories. FFVII and CC/CT have the best storyline I've ever seen. When my friends speed through a RPG just to show that he played it before, I usually shmack his head and get all worked up about it. Kinda funny, now that I think about it :D, but I completely agree with you, Asz.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah, story is easily one of the most important components of any game - take Max Payne (action) or Homeworld (RTS). If it's done properly, the story adds a while new dimension to the game - without the graphic novel sequences, Max Payne is the just "Matrix: The Video Game."

i wuz just so engrossed in the story, .. sometimes stuff from rpg's wanna make me cry
It's really embarassing, but the same thing happened to me at the end of Zelda: Link's Awakening.

P.S. Gk, if you want a game that gives a lot of play time, try EverQuest... people have been playing it exclusively for 2.5 years now. Jeez, I kinda feel like a drug pusher here :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, the Max Payne's story line... without it the game would be totally BOOORING! the sounds on story line are incredible, especially when the Max got's the guy who was running away bullet at his stomatch :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*drools* maaaxxxx paaayyynnnneee..... God, Max Payne is easily one of the games on my top 5 list, such a great game! *crys*

·
Kupo kupo?
93 Posts
Man this is the main reason cuz i play RPG.
i have even learned English only playing them.
you see, when i play the game i fell like i´m part of the hsitory. that´s why the name: ROLE PLAYING GAME

talk about history line: ff8 is so-so sugar-sugar ohh my gosh, that squall and Rhinoa give me a dizznesssssss...
but i must adimit it, that character LAGUNA made my day, he is really funny!

and
my prefered history was from ff6. War of magi and stuff yeah!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
"He had the grin of a winner. That made two of us."

The ending to that game is one of the most satisfying ever. If you don't like this game, give Asz your address so he can slap you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah, OMNiSLASH, you and me both. I generally prefer the storylines ftom FFVI (III!) and FFIV (II!), probably because they were the first serious RPGs I ever played. But FFVII . . . :mad:

When I first played that game I was totally freaked out by how realistic the characters acted and how the story flowed. But as the story progressed, some things just didn't make any sense: the Sephiroth clones, Tifa's memories, Sephiroth's many deaths . . . and who the HELL is that Voice?

My game froze right after the final battle with Jenova several times. I was only just recently able to kill Sephiroth (freakishly easy) and view the final ending, using my friend's PS2, after three years . . . and WTF?! I was seriously let down. Nothing like the FF6 (III!) ending.

I prefer FFVIII over FFVII for those reasons. In terms of bad-ass enemies and characters, FFVII takes the cake, but regarding character interaction and storyline, FFVIII rules.

I realize these opinions are probably unpopular, but I've been playing Square games since Secret o' Mana (which didn't make much sense in its own right, but eh). Also, these are video games, so any solid storyline is a good storyline, I guess. Vagrant Story had a supreme plot, though.

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Originally posted by Ozmosis256
My game froze right after the final battle with Jenova several times. I was only just recently able to kill Sephiroth (freakishly easy) and view the final ending, using my friend's PS2, after three years . . . and WTF?! I was seriously let down. Nothing like the FF6 (III!) ending.
Yeah, the FF7 ending's a real letdown. I though "That's it?!" I really loved the game (and I understood what was going on from the first time I played it), my fav RPG, but the ending SUCKED!! :mad: I WANTED MORE :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
there are some reasons why you skip the story or reading the text, take for example Baldurs Gate 2, it has loads of dialog, spoken or not it seems pretty lame to listem or read every dialog even if you know what will happen next, i'd like to call it an anoyance avoider anyone who played Baldur's surely know that the sounds get very repitive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts