Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Well,first of all,if you meant you want to buy a P4,then I'd advise you(as almost everyone will)to buy an Athlon,they're cheaper and better performer.

Now,if you were taling about buying Bleem! and ePSXe,you need to know that ePSXe is free and that Bleem! isn't worth the money anymore.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If your an Intel only, type of guy, then get the P3. Stay away from that P4....at least until they turn it into a DDR platform (even then I'm not to sure, but I'll give it the benfit of the doubt).

I also recommend the Athlon-C (266FSB). They just have a better product, right now. Don't put your trust in the Mhz war that Intel is making. The 1.2 Athlon-C has a faster benchmark than the 1.6 P4.

http://pages.prodigy.net/360/desk.jpg

I took off the SSE instruction benchmark, there are very, very, very few programs that take advantage of that optimization code for the P4.

Download Sandra and see how your computer stacks up.

http://www.tweakfiles.com/allinone/sisoftsandra.html

The P4 is really a 100 Bus.....(times 4 thax to Rambus)
The Athlon C is really a 133 Bus....(times 2 thax to DDR)
Funny, that you don't hear too much about that compairson. You don't want Rambus, it has more faults than benfits. Looks good on the benchmarks and on paper, but not so good on actual applications.

As far as your question....I don't know...try searching the forum for other threads on the subject, your bound to find one.

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
yeah get a athalon with some decent ram and u will beat the p4 no probs...
These benchmarks are with my 1ghz athalon overclocked to 1.35.
How cheap are 1ghz chips?
JAZ

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
The Athlon MP Palamino is the new athalon but its only available as a mobile proccesor at the moment (MP) the desktop version isnt out yet aldair.
JAZ

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
That Athlon really is a monter :D
But I heard somewhere about a HyperTransport Technology that will speed up thing quite a bit, so it's advisable to wait a while longer to upgrade the computer and buy a mobo with that tech.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts