Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to use a code for final fantasy 9, the code is to enable equip option after using any of the all abilities codes. i have tried on 1.5.2, 1.6, and 1.7 and in all 3 the code simply does not do anything once so ever. its not the only code i have had this issue with and i have others that simply trash the game, if there a way to maybe fix this code or am i stuck not being able to use the all abilities codes? i saw someone else ask about this but never saw any real answer for the issue. any help would be much appreciated.

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the only one i can find on multiple web sites include codetwink:
Code:
13  	 Enable Equip Option [Note 2]  	 D01FBF88 0001
                                                                 801FBF88 0101
and i checked over my entered code multiple times and even copy and pasted it directly into the user code list and there was no change in how it worked which was that it did nothing, i even enabled and disabled codes ingame with no luck.

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
certain codes in other games i am testing are having little to no effect as well, is there any way to fix this issue or is there maybe another way to use these cheats in epsxe without having to rely on pec?

pec in a sense works as some cheats are functioning, just wanting to get these non working cheats to work and i know that i entered them write as i have checked over them multiple times already.

i wonder, would it be possible to use an actual gameshark disc with epsxe properly or would it still give the same results? as i have a action replay still for ps1 that works with gameshark codes.

·
Discontinued
1,192 Posts
(speaking in general)

Games sometimes have re-releases that can break Gameshark codes between versions.

ex. (US releases)

FF9 has around 2-3 different builds (Original, Greatest Hits 1.0, Greatest Hits 1.1)
I think Original != GH 1.0 (codes-wise)

FF: Tactics has 2 builds (hearsay: cheats don't work well in Greatest Hits version)

Metal Gear Solid has 2 builds (Original, Greatest Hits)
There really are two versions of cheats for this game

Suikoden 1 has 2 builds (Original 1.0, Original 1.1)

Tomb Raider 1 has 4 builds (Original, Greatest Hits 1.0, Greatest Hits 1.1, Collector's Edition). They're all different somehow. :eek:

So it can be hard to tell what codes will actually work, even if they are from the same region. If the regions are different, that's a bigger problem.

redump.org (PSX section) could tell you more about release information

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
listed directly in the giant cheat database for ff8 for example, it lists the id for my copy of ff8 which should mean the codes should work for mine and yet the one si tested half work only, like inf and max health together, it may set my health to max but i still lose health when hit. plus codes that worked on my games on my ps2 for ff9, some do not work on here. so it seems maybe its a bug in pec but pec to my knowledge is not even updated anymore? is there maybe an alternative to pec or another way to use such cheats?

·
Discontinued
1,192 Posts
I've heard someone using Gameshark v5 with pSX. It doesn't work when swapping discs though (supposedly).

With PEC, you can set the cheats 'refresh rate' to 'Refresh Every Frame' (next to 'GPU plugin' tab). That helps sometimes.

You can try CEP. I have no experience with it though (Gameshark v3 compatible?)

PEC doesn't seem active anymore

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
do you know how to work with cep, it has the correct info to work with 1.6 but not 1.7 and not entirely sure how i could set it up for 1.7, it wants some sort of address which i am unsure how to get from epsxe which i assume is it's address in memory where it starts emulating the console's memory? i could use 1.6 but if i could get it to work with 1.7, that'd be better.

EDIT: the amazing thing about google is, if you search hard enough, anything could be possible. the info required for the applist file for epsxe is: ePSXe 1.7.0 | EPSXE.EXE | 0094C020 | $00200000.

EDIT: i do not think its an issue with the cheat devices anymore, it appears to be an incompatibility with epsxe, even with cep its not making it work any better. did try my action replay but when it attempts to load the game is when it fails to work, it just gives a black screen when loading the game once cheats are selected.

·
Discontinued
1,192 Posts
Reading all that makes me feel better. Don't have to rig up a test plugin. :)

Kinda bummer about having those problems though.

As a workaround, you can try the latest pSX with FF9. Activate those abilities codes. Save to memcard when you've got the ones you want. Then reload the game in epsxe.

My final thought is that pec has a 'Hex Editor' tab. If you've got a hex editor handy, paste that program there.
ex. C:\Program Files\BreakPoint Software\Hex Workshop 4.2\hworks32.exe

Go in-game with cheats off. Get to that screen where you're going to enable the problem cheats. Hit 'Ctrl+J' to get a RAM dump. Manually inspect those code locations yourself first. Then write in the new code values. Save. Close program.

Play a bit. Make another RAM dump and see if those locations are still activated. Helpful when debugging glitchy codes.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
as i said earlier, the cheats ARE WRONG D:

pec works perfectly fine in 1.7, as far as i've tested.

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
getting ready to test ff9 on pSX, but i posted the code in question in case you wanted to see if it did work and that i may be wrong, but that exact code shows up in to many places to list so i think it should at least work :/.

EDIT: tested on pSX with same result, though the code only works for 1 person instead of all but i already know its a minor issue with cep, but it still wont let the enable equip code to work, but if you would be so kind as to try it and see, i would appreciate it, as i'd like to see if that code can work as i know i could not hack one myself, inf health is one thing but to enable a menu option to work, i have no idea how i could do that :/.

·
Discontinued
1,192 Posts
I'm a 'good sport' so I tried it out. Unpacked the FF9 US DVD - Greatest Hits 1.1 build still around. GH 1.0 ~ GH 1.1 (nearly the same).

Loaded up a old memcard save (disc 1: Gizalamuke's Grotto). Went to the Abilities page for Zidane.

Code:
Unlock all Abilities  	3008B296 00FF
Sure enough, I got all the skills. Turned off cheats. Exited the menu to overworld. Went back to Zidane's abilities page. 'EQUIP' was now greyed out this time.

Examined the questionable code

Code:
Enable Equip
D01FBF88 0001
801FBF88 0101
Turned it on. Had no problems activating skills afterwards. Deactivated cheat. Played a bit.

Kinda interesting.. ^^

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
weird, what all did you do and how is your ff9 a dvd...? what set up are you using? maybe i can try to replicate it and get it working. thanks for trying out the code btw.

Edit: i tried it how you said you did it in your post, no change and i used exact enable code and used the exact all abilities code you used, equip option is greyed out, very interesting. btw my ff9 is an original 1.0 disc set.

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for your advice on using a hex editor, indeed the bug was in my version of the game, the code looks for the value 0001 at address 1fbf88, well in mine that value is when equip works, its all 0's when its bugged so i changed the line to 0000 and it fixed my game :D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.