Next Generation Emulation banner

881 - 894 of 1045 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
The most recent DF:Retro mentions PGXP as one of the big advancements in PS1 emulation in recent years. :cool:
It's a fairly brief section, starts about 7:30, but it still made my day.
Nice, congratulations ; )

Emulation is the future of the games at least until the consoles cease to exist.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #890
I've uploaded a new build. It incorporates the fixes for line rendering and flipped sprite detection that were added to Libretro's Beetle core:
WIP_PGXP_build_18_12_16.zip

These are currently only available in the OpenGL 1.78 plugin, no changes have been made to the GL2 Tweak, although I am looking at the possibility of integrating them into that too.

The line rendering hack, needed for games like Doom, Hexen and Dark Forces, has been replaced entirely with the versions I developed for Beetle. There are 3 options available from the graphics configuration menu and it is now completely independent of the "Disable Coord Check" option in the "Special Fixes" dialogue.
  • Disabled: Removes the hack entirely
  • Default: Works for Doom, Hexen and the water in Soul Blade. Should never produce the square edge artifacts that the old algorithm produced.
  • Aggressive: Needed for Dark Forces (and Duke Nukem, although I can't get it to render). It won't produce artifacts when PGXP is enabled but will otherwise.
The sprite detection improvement is automatic and will only work with PGXP enabled. It detects any change in depth across a given primitive and rejects it, meaning these elements will no longer pop. It's particularly noticeable in the Tomb Raider games on certain surfaces. This is captured using Beetle but the same applies:

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's great news! One small request, since I don't have Windows on any of my PCs, can you post a screenshot of where the new option is so I can mirror it in the GTK interface?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Does this fix the text boxes in Chrono Cross?
whats wrong with them??... currently replaying CC (beetle HW though not pcsx-r) and there is no issue (PGXP enabled as well)
chrono cross D1-181216-233924.png

Werid though, just noticed the black outline lines on some things, don't noticed them when playing, so might be a screenshot artifact maybe

also note, you can NOT play CC, FF, PE or any game that uses painted 2d backgrounds in WIDESCREEN.. to do so requires stretching the 4x3 image which throws all the path, door, etc locations off

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
That's great news! One small request, since I don't have Windows on any of my PCs, can you post a screenshot of where the new option is so I can mirror it in the GTK interface?
Sure. If you need anything else please let me know.

Does this fix the text boxes in Chrono Cross?
These fixes (and PGXP in general) shouldn't have any effect on that. Although I did look into the issue.

When that dialogue box appears the game stops rendering the main scene and instead pulls it from somewhere in VRAM as a still image. This requires certain settings on the 1.78 plugin to accomplish, I found "Off-Screen drawing" needed to be minimally set to 1 and "Framebuffer access" to 3 (as shown in the above image). This does result in a low-res blocky image due to the plugin reading and writing the data at native resolution.

What's happening in your image is that the game is failing to draw this off-screen image and is simply leaving the frame buffer uncleared, so you see the last normal frame as it was rendered at high resolution, but the dialogue box leaves a trail of uncleared ghost images as it moves up from the bottom of the screen.

iCatButler i sent you a message. Help me If you can.
Can you state which PGXP settings are causing it to crash? That would be helpful in tracking down the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last version of emulator with:
PeteOpengl2 tweaks 2.4
ssspsx pad pressure 1.6
Sapu's cdrom 1.6
Bios 7502
dx sound 1.0
sioblade 1.1

·
Registered
6 Posts
The line rendering hack, needed for games like Doom, Hexen and Dark Forces, has been replaced entirely with the versions I developed for Beetle. There are 3 options available from the graphics configuration menu and it is now completely independent of the "Disable Coord Check" option in the "Special Fixes" dialogue.
  • Disabled: Removes the hack entirely
  • Default: Works for Doom, Hexen and the water in Soul Blade. Should never produce the square edge artifacts that the old algorithm produced.
  • Aggressive: Needed for Dark Forces (and Duke Nukem, although I can't get it to render). It won't produce artifacts when PGXP is enabled but will otherwise.
I can't view this menu. How possible?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #900
I can't view this menu. How possible?
The menu and line rendering hack are only currently available through the Opengl 1.78 plugin, not the OpenGL 2 Tweak.

I have managed to implement the flipped sprite fix in the Tweak plugin though, I've uploaded a new build with just that change for now:
WIP_PGXP_build_18_12_18.zip

It was pretty simple once I figured out how to find and intercept the plugin's internal function calls in the way that Tapeq was doing. Integrating the line rendering hacks will be more difficult though as they require changing the number of vertices being drawn and either making a second triangle or changing the existing one to a quad. I think I've got it figured out at least.

881 - 894 of 1045 Posts