Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 64 Posts

· The Incinerator
101 Posts
@Thirteen1355, @superjupi Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver works, but needs "vertex caching", because textures won't be "connected" without it. It's different from the initial issues Spyro had, though. Here the triangles are bigger, and it looks like a mosaic art of some sort XD. I've made videos (again XD), one with vertex caching (and enhancements) and another with OpenGL 1.78 and no vertex caching, just the intro, to show the issue. I used "Memory only" mode, because I really saw no difference using "Mem + CPU logic", aside from the slowdown.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, "Memory only" mode + vertex caching (Pete'sOGL2 Tweaks 2.4)

"Memory only" mode, no vertex caching (OpenGL 1.78)

The slowdowns are due to my weak system, and also because this game has lots of details, and is also heavier for the emulator (probably). The weird thing about it, is that the internal FPS when using Pete'sOGL2 (Tweaks or not) is 30 on some scenes, but it jumps to 60 during battles or rooms with animated objects, like the flying souls the main character eats. It's very perceivable on the first video (I can't record at 60FPS on high resolutions), there's slowdown whenever an enemy appears, or after entering a big room. If I enable CPU overclock, the game "locks" at 30 FPS all the time, but animations are faster, and some cutscenes will break. Using OpenGL 1.78, the FPS is 30 all the time as well, without overclock. Maybe Pete's OpenGL2 2.9 really has some timing issue, because this is the second game that changes FPS like that (Medal of Honor was the first). But I have no way to measure the FPS on the real hardware, so I wouldn't know what's the correct behaviour of those games.
Yeah, I rather play this on Demul emulator (Dreamcast). It actually works.

· The Incinerator
101 Posts
So, I got kind of nostalgic and decided to dust off my old PlayStation, see if still worked. It did, so I decided to play some Crash Bandicoot, in its original form, the way it was meant to be played. The disc I have has Crash 1, 2 and 3 in it, but 1 didn't worked, so I pressed reset, and now booted Crash 3. Besides my head now not being able to clear the feeling of "why everything shakes?" (I got too used with PGXP XD), I immediately noticed something. Those "holes" that appear at a distance, even with PGXP, happen on the real hardware as well! It's very weird actually, I don't remember that happening at all. Unless my PlayStation is too old (it only works when standing vertically actually), or maybe the disc I have has been compressed or had something modified to fit the 3 Crash games in it, but still, maybe this issue can't actually be fixed with PGXP. Some kind of ancient draw distance/LoD bias method? Here's some pics and video (got used to it now). I had to use a Windows Phone to record, and also sorry about my old 14" CRT, it sucks, but I still play my Wii on it XD.

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped on real PlayStation. Original SCPH-1001 model, with the separate RCA inputs and parallel I/O port, if it interests. It also has that issue with the power supply being just under the CD drive, so over time it heated up the lens, its thin metal support dilated and shifted the lens focus, that's why it only works standing up.
Also some pics EDIT: The pics were too big :oops:.
Crash Bandicoot 2 was the first game I played, ever. I was 4, so I didn't understand a bit of it, and that game was soon forgotten by old me. When I was 6, I got a Nintendo 64 with Banjo Kazooie. That quickly became the game that I remembered being my first game ever.

Still, they were very vague to me, so I was quite happy I could play Banjo on Project 64. Played Crash 2 much later on EPSXE, but it wasn't that interesting to me. The best thing Crash has, are the controls. They are perfect. The game is a bit generic, in my opinion. Nothing stands out. Not if you have played Banjo, or even Mario 64.

· The Incinerator
101 Posts
@Thirteen1355 I've played the PC version of Soul Reaver, but it's just a port of the PSX version. Than I got the Dreamcast version running on nullDC (Demul is too heavy for my system) and it definitely looks like the best version. The PC version seems to "emulate" most of the PSX wobbliness, much like someone commented about the PC version of Final Fantasy VIII in the Tweaks thread, where character models would "snap" their vertices while still. But PCSXR-PGXP, being an emulator, has many options and "tweaks" that can be applied to the game, which the PC version does not have (it only has a bilinear filter option), and it runs better than Dreamcast emulators on my system, so I'll stick with the PSX version. Someone also made an "undub" for the PSX version. This game had an official Brazilian-Portuguese release, with dubs and all, and this hack works quite well, besides lower quality audio. The widescreen hack here also works better in my opinion.

My first game was Alex Kidd in Miracle World (reason of my profile picture). The Sega Master System was an amazing console, not only the design, but the controller felt much better than a NES controller, that my father bought later. In the NES, I don't remember playing Mario so much, because it felt "repetitive" for me. The levels were similar, the castles were all equal, and the bosses were all the same. I don't actually remember beating Super Mario Brothers on the NES, I played Duck Hunt much more XD (I had that Duck Hunt/Super Mario combo cartridge). The first 3D console I came in contact with was the N64, and I did play Super Mario 64 a lot on it. But it was borrowed from my older brother, and eventually I had to part ways with, without ever beating it as well. But than my father bought a PlayStation, and the first game I played was Crash Bandicoot. I liked that immediately, and it sticked with me until this day. I played all the N64 games on Project64 as well, and even most of the games that I didn't have, like the classics Banjo, and even Zelda, but today, I've beaten more PSX games than N64 games. And like I said in the Tweaks thread maybe, I didn't perceive what the PSX did with textures at all initially XD. It was only after PGXP started that I could really see the PSX did things differently from the likes of N64 or Dreamcast, so now I like "non-wobbly" textures better. Different experiences develop different tastes...
Heh. I have the PC version of Kain, and I don't notice any of the wobbliness from the PS1 version.

Super Mario Bros never was my type of game. I've only played the All-Stars (SNES) version, on emu.

I always say, PS1 has more good games, but N64 has the best games.

· The Incinerator
101 Posts
Does Dreamcast version contain different models? That would be great (although I didn't really notice)!
PS1 has more RPGs, and I like RPGs really much. However, I still haven't tried many of them. I played FF7, a really good game, but on PC (with some mods to improve the ugly graphics).
FF7 really looks uglier than FF1. But the world is really good (story less so), I loved the locations and gameplay. And with the mods, which made the game look like a N64 game (no HD graphics, I didn't want these), the game looks pretty neat as well.

But I still need to try Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy 9 (will probably try this on PC as well), Xenogears, Chrono Cross (maybe) and Star Ocean 2.

· The Incinerator
101 Posts
How are the Spyro games working on PCSXR-PGXP?

I've encountered a problem with games on the emulator in general. Sometimes, when pressing Esc to pause the game, when going back into the game, the screen shows nothing but grey (the sounds go on, and you can actually still control your character).

· The Incinerator
101 Posts

· The Incinerator
101 Posts
I have another problem: I've tried two games today, and both crash on the emu in the first FMV cutscene:
Dragon Quest 7 (not skipable, therefore unplayable)
Tales of Phantasia (skipable)
The emu (or rather Windows) just says, in the middle of the FMVs 'PCSX-R has stopped working'.

· The Incinerator
101 Posts
How do you turn off the 2D filters (xBRZ), without turning off the entire PGXP, with the 3D upscaling?

Better put: I would like to only use PGXP for 3D games (because of compatibility issues with many games), and use only the tweaks to remove wobbliness and upscale.
Wait, does PGXP even upscale 3D graphics? What exactly changes with the emu for 3D? Remove wobbliness, and?

1 - 18 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.