Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 32 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
C'mon guys, it's in the firt post!

Otherwise, windows 10 is a virus in itself, it's a joke of an OS: makes my i7 lags like a hell for it's notifications, and beyond that there is alla the spyng thing. I had to found a software to remove all the insanity.
It´s dangerous to go alone, take this:

Attachments

Reactions: otherman

· Registered
88 Posts
Can someone tell me the differences between epsxe and PCSX-Reloaded, and why PCSX-Reloaded is better? I use this plugin since tapeq created it "I´ve been updating every time that
iCatButler improves it" and i can´t see a reason to change to PCSX-Reloaded.

Note: I use windows 10 x64.

Thanks a lot.

· Registered
88 Posts
With regards to PGXP, the reason for using PCSX-R over other emulators is that it's currently the only emulator in which it is implemented :D

Many features of Tapeq's Tweak plugin will work with both ePSXe and PCSX-R because they implement all the API calls it requires to work, PGXP adds a lot of extra features that require a special build of both the emulator and plugin to work. The main features are listed in the first post on this thread, namely more accurate and stable vertex positions, more accurate culling to prevent gaps and perspective correct textures that don't stretch and warp.

There is a feature of Tapeq's plugin and others called "GTE Accuracy" which was originally created by Edgbla and goes some way to improving vertex accuracy and stability, although it isn't as effective as PGXP in many cases, it doesn't support perspective correct textures or improved culling. It works by caching high precision values and then trying to retrieve them using the native low precision data, this can cause multiple vertices to all associate with a single point, you can see this where UI elements or 2D backgrounds distort when they are close to animating 3D objects.

This video from an early prototype shows the differences between native PSX geometry, GTE Accuracy and full floating point data.
Beyond PGXP I'm sure there are various other differences but I don't have much recent experience with ePSXe.
So, i need a "special" version of PCSX-R to work with the plugin?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
88 Posts
To get PGXP features to work, yes. The WIP builds of PCSXR-PGXP all come with both a modified PCSX-R executable and versions of the base 1.78 OpenGL plugin and Tapeq's Tweak 2.4 plugin.

There's a link to the most current build in the first post of this thread along with instructions on how to set it up.
Ok, i´ll give a try, thanks a lot : )

· Registered
88 Posts
Err... this is embarrassing, but i don´t know how to compile the source code from the first post... Can someone share his modified PCSX-R?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

· Registered
88 Posts
The most recent build is under the "Links" section of the first post, sorry if it wasn't clear, I'll repost it here for you: WIP_PGXP_build_16_08_01.zip

It contains compiled binaries of the pcsxr-pgxp.exe and the two plugins. You'll need an existing install of PCSXR to add them to, there's a link to the PCSX-reloaded homepage or you can use Tapeq's build from his thread. The exe goes in the same folder as pcsxr.exe and the plugin dlls go in the plugins folder.
Wow, thanks for the 3rd time iCatButler!

· Registered
88 Posts
Ok, after many tests with the PCSXR-PGXP, i can say that is a great emulator (I used the latest build available in emucr) but i see two problems:

1- Need a widescreen patch (Epsxe comes by default with it)
2- CD images in .bin format show a error message when you load it "But it works"

Otherwise, the PGXP is a wonderful thing :D, no more trembling textures at last.

· Registered
88 Posts
@LuismaSp89 In the main screen, under "Configuration...", click on "CPU...". In the window that appears, check "Widescreen (GTE Hack)" and widescreen will be enabled. Keep in mind that the hack works only for full 3D games, with 2D games or 3D games with 2D backgrounds (Final Fantasy series, Resident Evil series, etc), 2D elements will get stretched, and 3D characters will be misplaced over the background.

I always make sure I have the .cue sheets with my bins, I always had errors when launching only .bin images, even on ePSXe.
...Ok, i´m blind... thanks xD

Ok, i found the problem, the .cue i have was corrupted. Thanks again : )

· Registered
88 Posts
Well, this is my first post here and it's going to be about a bug.

I've been testing PCSX-R PGXP with FF IX (PAL Spanish version) and I have found out that setting xBRZ higher than x1 messes up cutscenes, it just turns them into a static white screen. Not only that, but when the cutscene ends it stays white. I think this is exclusive to Final Fantasy IX because it didn't happen with FF VII. Also, the higher you set the value, the faster it screws up.
You can try with the 4gb patch "http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php" and use it in your .exe, i hope it helps : )

By the way, anyone can tell me why my PCSX-R sounds like crap? I used all the sound plugins available "P.E.Op.S (all of its variants) Eternal, eternal lite, with many configs and for example, in the main menu of tomb raider I, there´s a choppy music. This doesn´t happen with the same plugins, and the same config in epsxe. The eternal plugin is the less chopy sound of all, but not perfect :(

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
88 Posts
Hello LuismaSp89,

For Eternal SPU 1.5.0 try changing Audio Output Method to SPUasync.
These are my settings, i tried to set the buffer to 128 and 192, and the result is the same, it sounds like a scratch randomly:

PS: Thanks for your help SolisX

Attachments

· Registered
88 Posts
@LuismaSp89 Try "SPUAsync > Smooth", the "simple" setting doesn't sound right for most games. The "scratching" might be due to a high xBRZ setting, or when framebuffer effects happen. Any sound plugin will have "chops" and "scratches" with the slightest frame drop, so lowering your video settings might help the audio as well.
Nope, with "smooth" enabled is worse, but i managed to got it better by setting the buffer to 80. I don´t know why but this works a bit better.

@LuismaSp89 Thank you for the patch method, but the problem is already solved.

In regards to sound, P.E.Op.S. Sound Audio Driver 1.10 is the one that has the highest quality in my opinion. The only complain i have is that, for some reason, while audio quality tends to be great, FF VII's battle theme sounds really quiet and lacks reverb. I find Eternal to sound quite bad in that it makes a lot of noise.

I hope my settings help you.
P.E.Op.S. Sound Audio Driver 1.10 is my main audio plugin in Epsxe, and i have more or less your same settings, is strange that "at least for me" in epsxe the plugin works great but in Psxr-pgxp not.

Btw with this i can get the plugin more stable, thanks both of you.

· Registered
88 Posts
In another vein, i post here three screenshots made with the latest pgxp build (WIP_PGXP_build_16_08_31)
As you can see, (Inside of the red circle i drawed at Otacon´s eyes in the first screenshot) there are some strange artifacts like black dots. This happens too in the build of 16_08_01, and i remember this doesn´t happen in past builds, but i can´t assure you what build correct this.

Hope it helps a bit to improve this awesome plugin : )

PS: I attached a memory card image .mcd for the PCSXR-PGXP to test this. The game is metal gear solid 1 PAL-SPA.

Display device Screenshot Multimedia
Display device Mode of transport Technology Screenshot Font
Display device Darkness Technology Electronic device Fictional character

Attachments

· Registered
88 Posts
Hello LuismaSp89,

Are you on windows 10? Could it be an issue on that operating system.
Yes, i´m using windows 10, but the same plugins with the same settings works ok in epsxe... there are know problems with pcsxr-pgxp with that O.S ?

Hello LuismaSp89,

I don't have scratching sound with that settings on tr1 on the menu. Like TheDimensioner said you may need to lower your settings.

Here a video of tr1 on pcsxr at the menu.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hopfkb
I tried to lower my settings "Dissable Xbrz, set IR to 1, etc" and the result is the same.

When i return to my home, i´ll try to change the setting "#Disable sound plugin FPS auto limit" in the ini of the Opengl 2.4 tweak. To test if it helps.

· Registered
88 Posts
Hello LuismaSp89,

This is from pc gamer.

Look around the web, and you’ll likely find reports of big performance bumps moving from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, and just as many reports of framerates dropping. Performance will obviously vary game-to-game, and all sorts of factors could be causing those performance differences: driver upgrades, different background tasks eating up CPU cycles, and so on. Overall, Windows 10 isn’t going to change pure performance much.
Yes, i know that the performance between Windows 7-8-10 is not the same, i´m IT administrator. The problem here, is that the same settings with the same plugin, works perfect in the same OS, but with epsxe. I got an strong system (i7 4790k, GTX 970, 16 GB RAM) so, the resources not are a problem here. My first thought was that the pcsxr-pgxp was unable to handle correctly the plugins, but i don´t know what is happening.

· Registered
88 Posts
Hello LuismaSp89,

It's strange because i have alot weaker system then
yours and i don't have the issue with tomb raider 1.

My system is AMD X255 3.1ghz Geforce 430 GT 2 GIG RAM.

BTW: You can try the regular pcsxr vs pcsxr-pgxp to see if there's a difference.
Yes, i´ll try that to see what happens, thanks.

Edit: This is nonsense, tested in another PC, with windows 7, i3-2120, 8 gb ram, geforce GT 610 1GB DDR3. And the same result, "tested with P.E.Op.S. Sound Audio Driver 1.10" all settings of the emulator, and all the plugins by default (I deleted the settings in the register of windows)

· Registered
88 Posts
Hello LuismaSp89,

Well the version of tomb raider i'm running is the NTSC. Are you running the PAL version? If so you can try change PSX System Type to NTSC to see if it fixes the sound problem.

The setting is found
PCSXR>Configure>CPU
At last! Thanks a lot! The ****ing problem was gone.

I have the pal version, and like i thought, the problem is with the emulator. I have the Psx system type option in "Autodetect" (Enabled by default) the problem is that this option is not working properly, if i set "PAL" manually in that section, the game´s sound works perfect. No matters if i select PAL or NTSC in the P.E.Op.S Audio plugin.

I´ll try to contact with the PCSXR-PGXP developers, to share this problem with them.

· Registered
88 Posts
I did try something along these lines:

Just to rule out any changes I've made, does this occur with the normal build of PCSXR too? It seems unlikely but the overclocking/savestate code might cause such a bug.

The autodetect feature in PCSX-R uses the games id to determine the region of a game, it expects the third character to be 'E' as PAL releases should typically start with SLES or SCES. It also checks for a limited number of other strings that might be specific PSP re-releases, I assume ePSXe uses a more robust method (it seems to hava database to identify multi-disc releases too). Does this only occur with a specific game or one that has been modified and might have a different code?
Yes, this occur with the normal build of PCSXR too. I posted an issue to the developers.

· Registered
88 Posts
@TheDimensioner

I found a problem with the plugin, let´s see if i can explaint it with my bad English:

This plugin uses a different way to store the settings of the shader path. When you work with a emulator, for example like the epsxe, the shader path is stored in the registry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\epsxe\config\GPUShaderDir" (Inside of this registry key is the directory \shaders by default) and when you set another directory, using the graphical ui of the plugin, this last one prevails. But the changes is not reflected in the registry key of the emulator.

Example of my case:

I have two games, the first is metal gear solid, using a default shader, the path of this shader is the default " \shaders"

The second is Alundra, a 2D game, and i have a shader specially for 2D games, the path of this shader is "\shaders\2D"

Now, i use the epsxe option to create a game profile "Options>save game profile" This is very useful to set the settings and load it auto for each game, and all works ok, except the shader path. I tried everything, but all the time it loads the shader path that is set using the UI. No matters if i set in the alundra configuration txt that the path is \shaders\2D, all the time it loads the default \shader, unless i set it using the ui, but in that case the metal gear solid config uses this last one, not the default.

I don´t know if i explained it very well, but it´s annoying :( the game profiles option works like a charm, but not in this case for the shaders path of the plugin.

· Registered
88 Posts
@LuismaSp89 Well, I'm guessing that the latest 2.0 versions of ePSXe use the same "core" plugin of Pete'sOGL 2.9 for its OpenGL 2.0.0, so some settings, like shader directory, might be in conflict with the specific "GPU" plugin settings in the registry. When I used shaders extensively, I gave up trying to make settings for specific games, so I simply entered my shaders folder and copied the folder path of the shader I wanted, and pasted on the Pete'sOGL2 shader GUI whenever I needed to.

By the way, the current ePSXe still has some GUI issues, that I can't remember specifically right now since it's been a long time since I used it, but crazy things used to happen... not saving options correctly is one of them. One main issue that I still have, is that checking or unchecking "Screen filtering: a nice fullscreen filter" option won't take effect until I restart the emulator, ePSXe or PCSXR-PGXP. That might be specific to the plugin though.

Again, registry settings suck for something that is not even properly "installed" (by option).

#.ini4PSXConfig #EmulationMatters

Don't take that too seriously :p.

Mmm... i see... Ok, by the way i managed to solve the problem using a .bat that copys the shader of one or other game in the folder of "shaders" is too useful because i use the launchbox frontend for all my games, and i can execute the .bat before the game runs :p

Thanks a lot for your reply.

1 - 19 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.