Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts
Are games like THPS1 still wobbly as heck? I noticed that no matter what mode I use,the floor still gets quite distorted at times.

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts
I decided to play a few games to showcase PGXP as well, Blasto!, MediEvil and Jersey Devil (with Metal Gear Solid on the way maybe later tonight or tomorrow).

Blasto! may be one of the most difficult games to play on an emulator with high resolution/quality settings. I wager it'd bring most computers that aren't truly modern or run nice intel processors to their knees, as it did with mine. The slowdowns get worse as the game goes on because the fully 3D environments take up more screen space and get complex too....

MediEvil is a great game and has barely any slowdowns, looks great and sounds great. CPU Overclocking breaks this game.

Jersey Devil is another fun one, I call it platforming hell because it can be really difficult with some jumps that you should clearly be able to make........... Looks amazing though.

Blasto breaks in CPU+Memory mode, so don't use that.
MediEvil was fine I believe, also Vertex Caching worked without issues.
Jersey Devil I can't remember too much, but CPU overclocking is allowed, and I had Memory Mode with no Vertex Caching, because I think vertex caching tends to break 2D elements often.

Blasto -

Jersey Devil -

MediEvil -

Audio might be a little loud, but nothing "too" bad, sorry in advance though.

Edit: Oh, since we're talking about recording settings, I too use Fraps, to make things easier, disable Force RGB Loseless Recording, that setting is a killer. My Jersey Devil video of 15 minutes came out to 33GB of data..... 33!!!!!!! I had to re-encode it to a much more sane 1 GB or something around there, but that's just silly.

I record at 1360*1020, keeps the 4:3 aspect ratio (I play all games like that). I don't think it affects me too much when I record in either 30 or 60fps.

Edit x2: Won't showcase Metal Gear Solid, I can play with high settings, but enabling xBRZ makes the water scenes run abysmally slow =(. Game looks gorgeous.... maybe I'll just show it with the standard PlayStation styled textures going on.......
Tip for those playing MGS, CPU+Memory Logic mode seems to be the best way to make everything nice and stable, but it is a bit of a performance sink.

I typically play games that I don't use xBRZ in at 8x8 in ResHack, it seems to be a bit too much for Metal Gear Solid with CPU+Memory Logic mode.
May I ask why you're using FRAPS when ShadowPlay and OBS are a lot smoother and easier and free. They don't kill performance either.

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts
@the_randomizer My case is the same as @unreal676's case, but if his GTX 260 is ancient, my GeForce 9600GT is prehistoric then XD. But for emulation, the CPU is what's used the most, and while recording, any other software will use compression to keep the file size small, and since FRAPS has practically no compression, it won't use much of the CPU while recording. If my video card supported any kind of hardware decoding, it would be easier for me, I could just set a decoder and use the video card for the compression task instead, but alas, this s**t is old XD. The best other recording software that worked for me was BandiCam, even while compressing, but the end quality will never be greater than with FRAPS and recoding with XMediaRecode, since recording while compressing, to keep the framerate steady, will result in a s**t quality as well. OBS is just too complicated for me, and Shadow Play needs a GTX600 series + card to work.
OBS is pretty easy to set up, actually, it's not as bad as it looks, FRAPS works like absolute garbage on my end.

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts
I've decided to do a video showing Final Fantasy IX. I had some issues with it in the beginning of the Tweaks, where in every transition, there would be "chops" to the sound. It was actually caused by xBRZ, since every time I entered a new area, it would reload the textures to the cache. Framebuffer effects are also a killer here, with xBRZ being above x2 causing heavy slowdowns during battle transitions or magic casting. I guess that's why "FastFBE" was created a long ago, when I started complaining in the Tweaks thread XD (I realized I actually complain too much, sorry about that). I still have some of those issues, but if I don't go "too fancy" with this game, it becomes quite playable. FMVs will always be slow with xBRZ, but these ones look quite nice with it.

I have no issues with PGXP here, though. It works very well on "Memory only" mode. Everything is "blue", no shaking, and I haven't caught any "false positives", like some other games would have just one small part of a polygon that shakes like crazy. The widescreen hack would work very well for this game as well, as I show on the second video with the overworld and a random encounter, but since the other parts of the game have 2D backgrounds, those get stretched and the characters get missplaced, and doors and entrances will get messed up.

This is a weird one regarding frame rate as well, as it keeps changing all the time. Menus are 60 FPS, "normal play" is 30 FPS, battle cinematics are 15 FPS, battles are 60 FPS and the overworld is 20 FPS. So here're the videos:

Final Fantasy IX, PGXP "Memory only" mode

Overworld
Well, since I don't plan to start streaming (and OBS is mostly used for that purpose), I think I'll keep using FRAPS. I've discovered that I can record 20 FPS games at 1080p :p (like the FFIX overworld video), so if I find a 20 FPS only game, the quality will probably be much better. Maybe FRAPS is slow for you because your HDD might not be fast enough to record RAW videos (which have extremely high bitrates, which hard drives would need insane write speeds to keep up with).
Not necessarily, OBS isn't only for streaming, not sure where you got that impression, as it has a game-capture mode into MP4 files *shrug*, and FRAPS tends to use a lot more resource hogging. My HDD is just fine, it's 7200 RPM, so there's no need to assume what my hardware is, FRAPS isn't free, has that stupid watermark and 10 min limitation for free, because of that I have to use other software. I recorded Steam games just fine, not sure why people are so against the idea of using other software. Fine, I take back what I said and won't bring up Shadowplay or OBS ever again. FRAPS is like Zsnes, people will still use it despite there being better and more up-to-date programs out there -_-

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts
Last time I played it on PCSX2, I had my GTX 560ti. Now that's died, PCSX2 on a 9500gt is horrible. 2x Res is too slow, Native Res is too ugly lol.
PCSX2 1.4.0 seems to run a lot better, so....can't help ya there.

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts
@didado I've tested Ishiiruka Dolphin twice on this computer, once when I first started messing with Game Cube/Wii emulation (not many options there, sadly), and another time when Dolphin dev builds started removing features I used a lot, or adding forceful accuracy settings which my system couldn't handle (those were "rounded" on the latest builds, at least). Both times I tested Ishiiruka, it sadly failed me. It's cool that it keeps most of the support for old APIs and tries to add features "universally" (like shaders for D3D), but from what I could see, it's only one person doing this, which might not give much time to test so many different features. The first time I ran Twilight Princess on DirectX 9, it had many graphical bugs. After reading a little about it, I saw old paragraphs on the Dolphin wiki explaining that this game had those bugs on D3D9, so I saw that this feature was simply left on Ishiiruka, without much or any improvement to it. The "team" also incorporates most of the "relevant" dev build improvements to the newest Ishiiruka builds as well, which is nice, but it seems to go untested as well. The last time I tried the branch, I tried to go vanilla Dolphin, by using similar settings that I used on the official, but Ishiiruka simply crashed.

That's why I won't use it for some time, unless the official devs really f***'s up by not letting me play the way I want to anymore (they removed support for a patch recently, that made Wind Waker widescreen, with the HUD at 4:3 with no stretching; I've sent an issue report, but it hasn't been answered; not really their fault since that thing was "unofficial").

@the_randomizer, @Reventon2010 I didn't know PCSX2 1.4.0 had OpenGL 3.3 support, but it surely does not have the latest improvements (like better de-interlacing, some games used to give me headaches). Some games work well on the latest build, using GSdx SSE2, but mostly at 50FPS or so... The MTVU speed hack improves that, but the CPU usage jumps to 100% (mine is dual core, and the hack asks for 3 XD), so I don't wanna give my CPU a quick death by playing with it too much.

@fischkopf I've used reicast a bit, but it was very buggy. Impressively the Retroarch reicast core works better, but the current glitches are similar to the latest (last?) nullDC build. There's also Chankast XD. I used that, before discovering that some game dumps (generally compressed) need a DC backup loader to work on nullDC (but only on an older GDR plugin).
Late reply, I know, I don't visit these forums as much as I should ><

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts
I can't even get the core to use hardware acceleration, much less PGXP >.>

· Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,421 Posts
Yeah, you could kinda stand to use a GPU upgrade @the_randomizer :(

I was forced into an upgrade recently, so I know the feels.

Edit: 660 isn't as old as I thought it was. I was sure it was six years old by now. Nevermind me, I'm senile.
Give me money and I will, but until my financial situation improves, no dice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.