Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 47 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
That's iCatButler's github. That just means he updated the source without making an official release update. EmuCR uses a build bot to automatically release builds when the source is updated, though it's not exactly infallible; it's generally better to wait for an official release.

· Registered
138 Posts
I'm having a really weird problem that I can't seem to fix no matter how I go at it... A clean installation of PCSX-R followed by a clean installation of PGXP works perfectly fine on my laptop (albeit unplayably slow now), but on my desktop, nearly all games crash the emulator on load, even with PGXP features completely disabled. Any configuration, no matter the plugins (even tried BladeSoft just for grins), Ridge Racer's screen turns completely blue on the intro once the car enters the tunnel, and stays blue until the records screen pops up. Metal Gear Solid is totally black, but audio still works. I've cleaned out and reinstalled VC++ x86, cleaned out and reinstalled my video drivers, even did the same for DirectX just as a Hail Mary, and I cannot get PGXP working no matter what I do. Thoughts?

Edit: Fixed. I overlooked that somehow the BIOS was set to 'simulated' instead of using the real provided BIOS. No idea how that got flipped, but that was harsh.

· Registered
138 Posts
Did you install the 32-bit or 64-bit library? 64-bit is really buggy on its own, 32-bit is required to run Tweak and PGXP properly. If you still get an error, check to make sure PGXP is using the correct plugins directory. If you're still getting an error otherwise, I'd try updating video drivers. If you're still getting an error after all of that, I'm out of ideas.

Edit: Sniped by @Lamerq2 with a better solution. In my defense, I just got off a 15 hour shift and am a zombie.

· Registered
138 Posts
Finally got some free time to try PGXP in Mednafen out, and I'm getting really bad graphical glitches on every game I try.
Mode of transport Technology Electronic device

Every game is getting invisible or corrupted textures, sometimes completely so. The only settings I've changed from default were setting internal resolution to 4x, enabling PGXP (memory only), and perspective correct texturing. Everything else is at the default settings (including renderer, which was already set to the required opengl).

· Registered
138 Posts
Sigh... unfortunately, the problem is my desktop, again. I tried it on my laptop with identical settings (read: ran my desktop's installation over the network), and everything works just fine (albeit slower than PCSX-R). I don't know where to start with this one, because I've already cleaned out and reinstalled everything when PCSX-R was going haywire on me a couple weeks back.

· Registered
138 Posts
Im not sure what to think then. That 6870 sure has plenty of power available, although AMD is noted for having rather Flakey Opengl support. Even Pcsx2 AMD users get less performance in Opengl than DX.

What GPU does your Laptop have?
Yeah, I have had to use specific OpenGL dlls from specific driver versions to get certain games and emulators to play nice with my video card before, but it was always because of the screen just drawing nothing but black rather than textures going bizarro. This is completely new to me.

My laptop (thankfully) has nvidia hardware instead, Quadro FX 2700M.

· Registered
138 Posts
Hopefully they add Vulkan support to Mednafen. AMD has better support with that.

Also perhaps someone else with AMD can give some tips on getting it going.
I'd still need to buy a new video card either way, since mine has no Vulkan support. :(

Every time I'm in the market for a new video card, I tell myself that I'm not buying another ATi/AMD card because they're such a pain, and then I look at the nvidia prices and change my mind. I've been in this vicious cycle for 15 years.

· Registered
138 Posts
Just tried GT2 Japanese 1.1 and US 1.2, and not experiencing your issue. It DOES, however, affect replay playback - player cars are steering into the walls and not playing properly. AI cars go through just fine. If I switch to memory only, replays do not have this issue.

I have US 1.0 somewhere in my basement, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

· Registered
138 Posts
I had aliasing on my old video card (Radeon HD 6870) no matter how high the internal scaler was cranked up to, but I don't have that issue on my new card (Radeon RX 480), which leads me to believe it's a hardware/driver issue. It's still smoother when paired with a filter, but I no longer need a filter to make the aliasing go away.

· Registered
138 Posts
Anyone? I can't be the only one that wants to play FF VIII on PCSX-R...

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the game needs to be .ppf patched. Which is weird because the same image does run in a different emulator without the patch.
No idea what you're talking about. I have no trouble running any FFVIII image or CD I have, no need for any sort of patch. What exactly did you have to patch, anyway?

· Registered
138 Posts
Cores will crash on game load if the cores are configured to use a different draw method (ddraw, OGL, Vulkan, etc) than RetroArch's UI, I know that much. I also used to have a crash on game load if I had any shaders at all applied, even simple 2x, on a PSX or N64 core, no exceptions, on my old video card.

· Registered
138 Posts
edgbla's BladeSoft was one of the forebearers of increased GTE accuracy, and the forebearer of perspective correct textures. It never actually implemented a Z-buffer, though. To truly get a Z-buffer method in place for every PlayStation game would include an immense number of game-by-game optimizations with not many generalized implementations. There are a tremendous number of ways the myriad of developers attempted to mitigate seams, jitters, and distortions in their own way that there is no cut and dry method, as much as Sony prodded developers to adhere to a standard convention. As long as it ran on hardware and looked good, all was fair.

I'm deeply impressed by iCatButler's work with PGXP, though it's a fair argument that just intercepting Z data before it gets discarded isn't a catch all solution. Some games play really nice, many others do not. That PGXP has come this far is nothing short of astonishing and admirable.

1 - 19 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.