Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 23 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
C'mon guys, it's in the firt post!

Otherwise, windows 10 is a virus in itself, it's a joke of an OS: makes my i7 lags like a hell for it's notifications, and beyond that there is alla the spyng thing. I had to found a software to remove all the insanity.

· Registered
106 Posts
I think your priority would be find at least an other good coder to make a team (if you think you need a team), make ssao works to make some nice video with vagrant story and other games where dof is right allready, set a patreon and makes some money to buy you time, or good pizza and beer at least!

· Registered
106 Posts
Is not possible use ordering table with per-vertex values?
I think of check compatibility between per-vertex high precision data and the ordering table: if they are in check then per-vertex is used ad it is, if they are not then ordering table is used to make a "center" position and per-vertex is used relatively to that position. From my undestanding, if possible, that would be not a perfect depth buffer, but a good enough for effects and shader in post.

Edit: This is the same idea @Quaoar here, posted while I was whriting this stuff, and his exposition is better than mine... I hate you, Quaoar! (Just kidding :p)

In my unreasonable opinion, with the preatty hacky nature of pgxp, a "per game hack" of sort is inevitable. I think about "ishiiruka" Dolphin approach: there is some options working with some games, and other options for other games, and it deals with the problem with per-game ini file.
While the psx library is huge, the games that deserve (for popularity and goodness) some heavy eye-candy is not so much: they are basically Crash, Spyro, Tekken, Residenti Evil, Final Fantasy, and a bunch of single title. With a "patreon" in mind, they are the targets for trick and wizardy.
I think that a psx emulator with jittery-free for all games and advanced effects for some games is a good enogh destination, not evil at all.

I insist 'couse your work deserve to be rewarned. The idea is around litteraly for decades, but you are the first make it works, and open source, in a scene relatively dead and/or closed source. You are the most active devoloper on this scene at the moment, or so it seams at least, and you have not even a donation link! You are like a hero.

· Registered
106 Posts
@TheDimensioner, I understand your position, but you can't go with it: psx emulation get playable speed in early 2000s, and at the time no CPU can support the pgxp at usable speed. Getting the core emulation light and fast is a good goal, but enhanced emulation is for strongest and newer PC by definition. When Pete added shaders for exemple, most gpu doesn't support them. Like @iCatButler said, he did not think mem+cpu would be playable at all in the first time. Newer Api means better control of newer hardware, and so better performance and/enhancement.
You too will upgrade your sistem someday, and that day you will want take full advantage of it. :)
In the meanwhile, PGXP is wonderfull as it is!

· Registered
106 Posts
@Icatbuler, thanks for your project. it's very nice!!l
I don't now if someone asked you about this before in this thread. sorry. i didn't read all the pages.
I's possible to integrate your project in the peops soft plugin, like you did in the peops/pete opengl plugin reducing the texture distortion??

sorry for my english :(
Sorry but he can not do it, it's very hard to do and otherwise there is already a soft plugin with correct textures that works better in some cases: it's edgbla's gpubladesoft

· Registered
106 Posts
Dolphin is all on enhancment, pcsx2 is all on enhanment, and so ppsspp and the most of n64 and everything in retroarch! I think most people simply doesn't get it, doesn't understand it. There is not a site, there is not a reddit, nor a patreon, neither a devoloper beside the amazing work of iCatButler. He did all the work here and on retroarch opengl core, and the vulkan version has it becouse he did all the work to make it very easy to port. It's a very strange situation, with other devolopers on the scene (like edgbla and pete) got lost.
Such a shame: custom textures, depth based shaders... There is so much to enhance on this amazing platform.
Psx era was the biggest in genre, innovation and number of amazing games. WiiU instead, with 15 title worthing, allready has a great emulator with cemu in his lifespan!
I mean: gameboy, gameboy color and NES have emulator with custom textures support when the real consoles have not real textures/tiles in the first place; psx load all the textures in a grid in the main buffer but there is not custom textures in any emulator.
Edgbla did some experiment, but never release the code or a usable binary, instead he has cut out higher resolution in his plugin becouse he think is not necessary. It's so strange!

· Registered
106 Posts
@iCatButler this is great, incredible, you are so close! In fact, it seams perfect in Crash3; Some spyro test?

A stupid idea of mine with hope to help: is it possible to fix/improve depth via educated guess? For example: if two triangles are in the same position/orentation to each other in two near frame, they has to be very close in space (like the boxes and the terrain in crash bandicoot).

· Registered
106 Posts
@dpence port a software GPU plugin to OGL is basically a total rewrite, a new plugin in fact.
Beside vulkan is new and not compatible with old device, mednafen vulkan is neat, documented, future and features proof. I'm sorry, but it seams the only logical solution at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

· Registered
106 Posts
An idea: a debug/patcher plugin. A plugin for the (slow) semi-automatic solution you wrote about, and make it to save a cache of sort, progressivly upgradeable (do this words exist?) like Cemu or ishiruka shaders cache. Then, you can use the semi-autogenerated cache in normal plugin for full performance.

· Registered
106 Posts
The shame is edgbla found a way to move the camera in game and used that to get better 16:9 support and stereoscopic rendering, but never released the code or a usable binary. In theory, the same would be usable to get a full 3d scene with correct depth buffer, and open the door to things like realtime shadows or whatever you can do with a real full 3d scene. Edgbla devoloped a basic custom textures option too, but again...

· Registered
106 Posts
@iCatButler , would a two (or more) istances stereoscopic rendering with traslated camera get different scale primitives in correct position on the frame? If yes, it would be possible use it to find correct scale automaticly. But from what you wrote, I suspect that move camera will get only misplaced geometry.

· Registered
106 Posts
It would be opengl >4.3, so... Cards support that, support vulkan too, it's meaningless. Vulkan is accurate because it has some features not present in old opengl.

@iCatButler amazing work, like always. Please, release a WIP-sure-it-will-destroy-your-pc-so-look-away! You are teasing us to death!
So, misplaced geometry, like I said. I can think a solution, but it's so convoluted in mind that it would be a hell to code or use.

P.S. I can see you enjoy making that diagram XD

· Registered
106 Posts
Thinking on a solution: can you identify (and track) object/poly for texture used?
If this is possible (and I think it is), you can use that to compare frames and fix depth and z-figthing. It would not work for untextured polys, but it would cover most cases. Also if the same texture is used on more than one object/poly, it would be good enough for the tracking.

This would lead to custom textures too

· Registered
106 Posts
You are so smart :O
Is it sarcasm? I feel like Sheldon Cooper from The big bang theory now.

I can't code a thing, I'm a newbie, but I'm a dreamer (and I like logical puzzle). iCatButler found some of my ideas are good, others useless. I try to help. PGXP is based on an idea 16 year old born in this forum, you know.

My idea, if possible and practical, solve some depth buffer and z-fighting. I'm sorry if I've not found the answer to live, universe and everything... I'm thinking of 6x7...

1 - 19 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.