8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is terrible. I always thought my PC was good until now. My specs are:
- 1 GB RAM
- AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor
- 3000+
- 2.00 GHz
On XP.

I ran Kingdom Hearts II and I got to the screen where it says New Game and Load Game in about 8 minutes. After about 30 seconds i cant click anything outside the PCSX2 screen. Is there any way i can make this run faster? By the way i have another computer:

- Intel Pentium 4
- 2 GB RAM
- 2.80 GHz

I haven't tried it on the 2nd comp yet, but which one would be better? The first or 2nd CPU?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
This hardware is barely enough to even start pcsx2. Let alone play the simplest of games.
For this emulator you need the best cpu you can buy today.
The stuff you try to run it on was even medium the 7 years ago you bought it :p

The recompilers are enabled by default, and I doubt you "accidentally" disabled them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PsyMan, could one of my CPU's be able to run Kingdom Hearts II full speed? Or near full speed? Where can i find the recompilers to make sure they're on? Which of my 2 CPU's is better for running PCSX2?

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Well, the Athlon 64 is faster in the PCSX2 case. Do not expect full speed on heavy games. Kingdom Hearts should get at most half speed with those specs. Actually, even that is unlikely.
0.6 FPS is way too low speed. Even for such a weak system.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You haven't mentioned what GPU you have. While PCSX2 is more CPU dependent, the GPU must at least be good enough so that it's not a bottleneck.

You really shouldn't expect it to run on anything lower than a Core2 (or the AMD equivelent). Certainly a Pentium4 and Athlon 64 is optimistic, to say the least.

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
your CPU is too weak for PCSX2, even Athlons X2 can't run PCSX2 at playable frame rates, and I agree with PsyMan with saying that your Athlon CPU is more suited than your P4.

Also you didn't say what VGA do you have, if It's onboard It will holding back even more the performance.

In any case, an upgrade must be done to achieve playable framerates in PCSX2, and as so many ppl said in this forum It's better if you sitck with your PS2 console for now, upgrading an entire PC (or paying a considerable amount of money) just for PCSX2 is crazy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're right, I'm probably going to buy Swap Magic 3. My PS2 is already modded because i had Swap Magic a long time ago but it stoped reading it. I know this is a little off-topic but... How do i make sure it isn't my laser that wasn't reading the Swap Magic? I mean once i was playing Dark Cloud 2 and i got fairly far in the game but then a cutscene was going to start and the screen tuirned black and i could still hear the sound in the background. I could start hearing the disk in the PS2 doing a loud clicking. I used a GameDr thing to clear it of scratches and the same thing happened again.

So basically my question is: How do I know if it's my laser's fault or the Swap Magic's?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.