Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pcsx 2 is barely faster (+5fps) with my core 2 quad than it was with my old athlon X2

anyone got different results?

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
pcsx2 only utilizes a maximum of 2 cores.

Info Info Info. We need more specs and more info to help you out. What are the complete specs of both of the systems?

What game are you trying to play.

List the plugins you are using. And what version of pcsx2 you are using.

·
Registered
315 Posts
pcsx2 likes speed very much if you have a quad that is 2.4 or 2.33 it probably be better if you had a c2d 3.0ghz, it depend if cpu have SSSE3, SSE41 helps too, having a nice cooler to overclock, having vista so you can use real dx10.
Here are some tests comparing C2D vs C2Q:
CPU Benchmarking - Quad vs. Dual in various RPGs

·
Registered
106 Posts
pcsx2 likes speed very much if you have a quad that is 2.4 or 2.33 it probably be better if you had a c2d 3.0ghz, it depend if cpu have SSSE3, SSE41 helps too, having a nice cooler to overclock, having vista so you can use real dx10.
Completely irrelevent in an Athlon X2 : Intel Core 2 Quad comparison. Athlon X2 =/= Intel Core 2 Duo.

Back on track, the Athlon X2 is an old assed cpu now, any C2Q should be getting a substantial gain (even the slowest C2Q) over it. You've either got your PCSX2 set up wrong, or the game you tested is one of those random bizarro ones that just doesn't get fast no matter how good your PC is (there's a few of them out there).

Post your PCSX2 version, what plugins and config you're using, and what game it is you're trying - and we might be able to help ^_^

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice answer

so all PCSX2 care about is frequency? That's very bad given that the future is more & more cores and not higher frequency =/

by the way I curse myself for buying an intel, it's the less stable cpu I ever got, keeps freezing, so it's my first and last intel

besides AMD just released a phenom II that destroys intel C4Q on every aspect, it's even a competition for an i7 but at a much much lower price, less energy consumption and more stability, if only I waited one month before buying a new PC...

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
I second you at that rama. I play at that speed myself :p

·
Registered
315 Posts
From what i have seen in some benchmarks phenom II doesn't destroys intel C2Q, they seem equally matched intel wins some AMD wins some, about i7 is better than C2Q in some tests and in some test that phenom II won they are pretty close for most of them but phenom II will be cheaper, cooler and require less power, it seem AMD is getting close on CPU overclocking potential.
I have 2.33ghz processor so in some game a have no problem in speed others are slower so like me if you don't have higher speed you will be dependent of hacks on some games.

·
Registered
443 Posts
and the fact pcsx2 can not exploit modern cpus is a good thing?
Its the way the PS2 works. Changing the emulator to use 4 cores gives it little to no speed increase as it doesnt help with the emulation of the PS2 itself. The faster you can make your CPU the better it will handle PCSX2. My Core2Duo at 4.0Ghz does quite nicely with most games.

·
Registered
106 Posts
and the fact pcsx2 can not exploit modern cpus is a good thing?
There are very few programs that do utilise multi-threading effectively, if at all. I'm talking full retail with full programming staff... This is a free program created by a handful of individuals. Do you have any programming knowledge/experience at all? If so, how about multi-threaded programming? It's much much more difficult than single threaded programs....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Core2Duo at 4.3Ghz.. nothing beats that for pcsx2 :p
I'm quite sure a Core i7 would tear pcsx2 to shreds with explosive framerates, at the demonstration they had the lil bugger eat Crysis WITHOUT a GPU. How's that for unbeatable? :p

Now if someone had a wallet thick enough for one of those things! :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you search the forum here and forums.pcsx2 you will see that Core i7 increase almost nothing, Core i7 new SSE doesn't help, Core i7 cache L3 is much slower than C2D cache L2, and since pcsx2 only uses 2 cores or 2 threads, 4 cores with a total of 8 threads doesn't help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On most tasks i7 is about 20% faster Clock-for-Clock than core2. Bump the i7 to 4ghz+ and that margin follows; ie. my i7 920 @ 4.2 will be faster than your core2 at 4.2 by the same percentage.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah, or some more, or some less.
Still a bit disappointing, I was hoping for 50% more at least :p

Ah well, maybe we can get pcsx2 to use more threading sometime.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
The I7 is not living up to expectations, it cant even overclock as well as core 2, which is sad.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sad to me is being a 130w cpu instead of a 65w or 95w that heats like crazy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts