Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CKemu posted some screenshots of the new webdesign planned of the PCSX2.net website. As specified in the announcement, its still WIP. Looks and functionalty will get significant improvements.

Thoughts on the new looks? Share feedback here or on the announcement thread.

Source: PCSX2.net

·
Registered
107 Posts
As a web designer, I suppose I must give this thing a nice constructive criticsm...

Hmm lets, see, the background looks fine, but the navigation bar seems lost in all the layout, dont use grey for the buttons, I'd use black to make them visible enough.

Also, all the gradients looks nice, too web 2.0 for me, but that's just my own opinion.

About the header...hmmm, I know you need that space for ads...but, that image (the PCSX2 one) looks... dont know, its like 3D and 2D does not mix. To tell you the truth, it looks awful to me. A nice 2D text without perspective would look perfect here, also, if the header is giant like that one, you'll not see things like the navigation bar or other important info.

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
About the header...hmmm, I know you need that space for ads...but, that image (the PCSX2 one) looks... dont know, its like 3D and 2D does not mix. To tell you the truth, it looks awful to me. A nice 2D text without perspective would look perfect here, also, if the header is giant like that one, you'll not see things like the navigation bar or other important info.
i agree.

i already told ckemu about it, not sure if he's going to change it...

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
What I like:

The general layout is good, news position, good, features on the right, good, text font, excellent (if a little hard to read).

Avatars tied in with the news posts is a nice little feature, as long as they aren't too huge in size (mainly for 56k warriors, hey there are still a few around)

What I don't like:

The heading of the page, far too big and not befitting the page at all. If it were a 2D image it would be fantastic and look a great deal smarter and presentable.

The ****** lines in the background seem to be rather distracting and make the page look too busy. The blue colour is nice, but those lines detract from the overall feng shui of the page.

I know you guys need those google ads to help pay for servers, but they detract from the classy layout of the page, and considering they mostly are full of contradicting to house rules about bioses, they almost always contain adverts for PS2 bios files or something. A necessary evil I'm sure, but it just looks crummy.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
It looks nice and like some said the logo pcsx2 doesn't look that good.
Hope he changes that design.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
As a web designer, I suppose I must give this thing a nice constructive criticsm...

Hmm lets, see, the background looks fine, but the navigation bar seems lost in all the layout, dont use grey for the buttons, I'd use black to make them visible enough.

Also, all the gradients looks nice, too web 2.0 for me, but that's just my own opinion.

I'm not an "official" web designer, but I was a webmaster of a site for a few years, and that also involved doing my own design for the site's forums (keep in mind I have no real training or professional ability in the field, and my work was, in my opinion, okay and better than average, but nothing super exceptional), but I agree overall with this, except for the last part.

I'm not sure what all the hate about the logo is for. It looks excellent to me, but to each their own. I do agree that it's a bit too big and needs to made smaller for the reason stated, but the logo itself, to me, is fine.

Otherwise, the buttons and navigation bar do need to be rethought as well (again, the quoted text's examples would be perfect solutions), but otherwise, I like the new direction, and that says alot considering I expected to come in liking the old format better (since it was pretty good too).

I like the gradients, and the old layout seemed 2.0-ish to me as well (which looks good if it's not done just to look that way for the sake of it, and i don't get that feeling about that design).

Overall, good job. It's not perfect, but if you make these changes, someone else will have tips to make it better at something from that point, and so on no matter what design you settle on. A solid 8.5/10 from me (9/10 with some changes made).

Also, you you just need to make the forums match. The layout they have is too different from the main one, and in my opinion, doesn't look so great anyway.

P.S. I hate to ask this here, but I registered at the PCSX2.net forums a while ago, and never got my confirmation e-mail. I'm pretty sure I typed my e-mail in correctly, and it never ended up in my spam folder, so could someone look into that if possible?

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
only the pcsx2 logo looks good.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
You have filters on your spam folder? That is the only thing I can think of
Not that I know of. The only filter I can see is one that defaults suspected spam to the spam folder, but nothing that would outright prevent me from getting anything. This is pretty much the only time I can recall of where I didn't get the e-mail from a site.

Trying to reset my password doesn't return a message about an account not existing with it, meaning I didn't accidentally type the e-mail address wrong when I registered and that I had it right. There have been a few cases where legit stuff would end up in my spam folder, but that's been rare. I've never flat out not gotten it though. Neither the original account activation nor any password reset request e-mails (not that the latter would matter since I know my password, the account just isn't activated) ever show up. Anything from any other site has always at least showed up, even if in the spam folder, so I don't know what it is.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.