Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people.
Just wanted someone else's opinion on this..
Is it just me or are the rules in the PCSX2 forum a BIT to restrictive? I mean, you cant even talk about the CVS versions or bios' or getting games to go further, without the risk of a locked topic and a ban. I mean, its useful for controling the pointless comments of n00bs and lamers, but surely there has to be a line at which limitation is no longer benefitial to anyone?
meh..

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Hmm well ok.

That all depends on your definiton of "too restrictive". WRT to the bios the current stance is no different to that of the rest of the site. In essence don't ask where to get it.

CVS is a thorny one. True, the program is open source, and as such legalicy of obtaining cvs copies isn't really the point of the matter. Basically it comes more down to the fact that they are unofficial copies. It's hard enough giving advice for official copies, which have at least some common base. For unofficals we do not know how they are compliled, what state the tree was at when the cvs image was taken, has any unofficial mods been made, etc, so we can't really give any advice. Hence the reason why cvs copies aren't supported. This is not too unusual a policy to take either, as a large percentage of open sourced software do not provide support on development builds.

In extension to that notion, it has been decided not to allow discussions on obtaining such builds. The reasoning behind that is one of the developers once mentioned how to do CVS, and it opened a can of worms regarding numerious support questions for unofficial builds. It is a shame that the foolish few have to ruin things for the wise majority, but nothing else can really be done about the situation.

Finally to games. We're not really all that bad in this area. The problem here is that currently the majority questions that tend to get asked are the daft ones, "does game X run" etc. This gives the perception that we are harder than we are in actuality. Yes, I agree it is a shame, however until development reaches the stage that game become "playable" (noob definition, not the beta tester one ;)) it's always going to be that way.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The thing that I understand the least is that distributing CVS builds is frowned upon here, even though it is expressly permitted under it's license (Sect. 3, GNU General Public License).

Another thing is that compiling seems to be taboo. Responses usually being in the form "Why would you need to compile from source?".

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well for your averge "Joe Windows" user "compiling from source" is basically "noobish" for "How do I get the unofficial CVS version?". As such ppl make the majority of folks around here, in essence your 2 points are the same one really :p. Likewise the response given is a typical one of "Joe Windows" rather than "James Linux". Anyways I've given you the reason for that in the post above: it's an attempt to lessen the amount of questions on unofficial builds, which are unsupported.

In regards the licensing, it's not like we're preventing anyone from getting unofficial copies. Anyone with any shred of real internet/open source experience can find it on their own. Just don't be asking for any here.

That all said, I'm still human. So I'll open a discussion in the moderator forum to this regard (I can't put it in the admin section 'cos we'd need Bositmans opinion here).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k, thanks betamax. Im glad this is going to be reviewed (well, I thread in the mods forum is hardly a review, but its something :D).

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
DC_daNMan said:
(well, I thread in the mods forum is hardly a review, but its something :D).
It's actually the opposite. A thread in the mod's forum is the right place for all ngemu crew to discuss about the matter at hand. It's exactly the way to do a review about the rules or whatever affects a particular section. Don't worry about it, it's gonna be taken i account and given the appropiate response.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im just not really sure what that action will be though.. meh we'll see. i just hope some other mods share the same veiws with me..
EDIT : I had a thought, maybe you could make a sub-forum of the pcsx2 one. one for CVS builds? I'd be happy to make an attempt at moderating it (im not to sure bobbi would be tho :D) just a thought...

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
DC_daNMan said:
I had a thought, maybe you could make a sub-forum of the pcsx2 one. one for CVS builds? I'd be happy to make an attempt at moderating it (im not to sure bobbi would be tho :D) just a thought...
maybe alone thread for the CVS builds? limitation: only those most common, released (compiled) by authors :) or sth like that :)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Alright here's the deal: seeing how we couldn't decide, we decided to base our decision on the us electon result :p. If Kerry wins things change, if Bush wins the current regime stays :D :evil:.

Naw I'm kidding :p. Basically the decision is that things are more or less fine as they stand. However that said, we have dropped the "ban on sight" clause, and modified things slightly so we are a bit more lenent in regard noobs (depending on the situation of course). However cvs is still unsupported, nor is likely to in the future.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
meh, Im happy with that, bit disapointed with CVS tho.. it'd be quite nice for other people to see what the emu authors are seeing atm, and possibly test more games.. oh well.
Thanks

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
DC_daNMan said:
meh, Im happy with that, bit disapointed with CVS tho.. it'd be quite nice for other people to see what the emu authors are seeing atm, and possibly test more games.. oh well.
Thanks
CKemu is there to show them. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts