Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that in the future with PCSX2 you'll be able to increase in game resolution, anti aliasing etc, but will you be able to get rid of that horrible shimmering effect that's in games like Gran Turismo 4?

Sorry for this stupid question, but I'd really like to know. :)

· Read Only
10,484 Posts
I think that's caused by the graphics plugin, GSdx9, so hopefully expect that in the newer versions, those things will be solved.

But why do you care about the shimmering effect, when the game it's still not fully playable. :p

BTW, welcome to the forums.

· Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
Yeah, that shakiness "shimmering effect" is indeed a bug in gsdx9. Zerofrog and Refraction are currently working to get that worked out, and saqib is working on GSMax, so hopefully, you'll be able to stand looking at it without getting seasick.:p

· PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
General Plot said:
Yeah, that shakiness "shimmering effect" is indeed a bug in gsdx9. Zerofrog and Refraction are currently working to get that worked out
we are??? :p

· PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
General Plot said:
If not, then why did you want a debug build of gsdx9?:p
i wanted to see what the slowest parts of gsdx9 were, but its not got debug building in properly ;p

· Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
refraction said:
i wanted to see what the slowest parts of gsdx9 were, but its not got debug building in properly ;p
Then kill Gabest. Gah, he made it so hard to compile a normail build, let alone a debug one.:p

· Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
CoBrA2168 said:
are there any games that you can get in game with and somewhat play with this emu currently?
The screenshots thread will give you a pretty good idea of what works, but the best way to know is to just test what games you have and see the results for yourself.:)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. What I mean is, whenever I play a game like GT4 on my PS2, I get a horrible graphics effect where straight lines next to each other on a building, or track turn all squiggly and move strangely. I think the term is shimmering, but I'm not sure.

I was just wondering whether it would be possible in a couple of years for the emulator to eliminate it, like it'll be able to eliminate aliasing?

Hopefully I've explained myself properly.

· Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
Slobber said:
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. What I mean is, whenever I play a game like GT4 on my PS2, I get a horrible graphics effect where straight lines next to each other on a building, or track turn all squiggly and move strangely. I think the term is shimmering, but I'm not sure.

I was just wondering whether it would be possible in a couple of years for the emulator to eliminate it, like it'll be able to eliminate aliasing?

Hopefully I've explained myself properly.
Ah, well, that too is a gsdx9 bug. We get all kinds from it. Spikey graphics, sliced graphics, may distorted and missing graphics. These of course will eventually get fixed.;)

· Registered
218 Posts
General Plot said:
Ah, well, that too is a gsdx9 bug. We get all kinds from it. Spikey graphics, sliced graphics, may distorted and missing graphics. These of course will eventually get fixed.;)
I think the way he tried to explain didn't still get through. he is not playing on the emulator but his actual ps2 as what his last comment was on his last post. so there seems to be a problem with his console not the emulator. (I am only assuming that is what he was trying to say ><)

· Registered
22 Posts
Yes, a bug like that exists on the jap (and maybe us) version of gt4, that was corrected in the europe version released later. I'll try to find a video i saw on the web to show you (it's a deinterlacing problem if i remember well).

· PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
shimmering is usually caused by high resolution textures being used at low resolutions, causes the polys on the screen to flicker, i dont know exactly why but Anti Aliasing is suppose to fix this, i wish more game developers used it more, but the PS2 struggles with what its running, quite a few games slow down to an obviously lagging speed. I noticed it the other night playing NFSU2, it must have dropped to about 20fps

· PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
o43 said:
It's this bug.
oh, hmm i think thats an interlace thing, because the picture is updated on alternate lines, so the picture goes like that when its updating the frame.

Cyber Hunter: Gsdx9 has an anti aliasing style function, its in as "Linear Texture Filtering" which is suppose to smooth them off, and if its a problem with the game (for the ps2 as well) then its not really down to us to fix, wed just be hacking around it ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.