Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the question....

Today i may get an access to the very powerful comp - i mean to server:)
is it worth it to try the PCSX2 on it?
specs of this mighty one are following:
Processor - 8
RAM - 32GB
win 2003 Enterprise Edition
video... hm... still unknown:)
what do you think guys?
shall it all worth it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that you need to read with more attention the rules

"We DO NOT KNOW what the minimium specs are yet, don't waste your time asking, or speculating."

·
Registered
212 Posts
i'd try it out neway :D

For the pleasure of just trying, however graphics card, well not stated, most are just boring old plain and simple types on servers, multi thread support i dont think pcsx2 currently supports, so imo, wont make much of a diff between one and 1000 cpus (might be wrong here, but hey only oppinion)

regarding WJAT's reply, min specs, well he hasnt asked for specs, he said is TESTING worth it , testing is worth it, if u wish to try it, other than that don't expect it to be perfect or whatever. i think u should read the rules urself or take them into consideration better WJAT ;)

good luck on whatever u decide to do Barilust

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
However, once it does support in future (they ARE going to implement it, right?), i guess speed might be quite good, if not playable. :)

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
MaZa said:
However, once it does support in future (they ARE going to implement it, right?), i guess speed might be quite good, if not playable. :)
maybe, as several sections of pcsx2 will be threaded, VU, SPU, IOP, EE, GS, IPU, will all be on seperate threads, so maybe even up to 5 processors would make it nice and fast. but you are talking a year or 2 probably into the future here ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
once multithreading will be available, this server will be good to try :]
I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I think pcsx20.9 might have multithreading,
so stay updated...

edit:
Didnt see what Refraction wrote, but now i do i'm sure his info is more accurate ;)

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
VRiD said:
once multithreading will be available, this server will be good to try :]
I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I think pcsx20.9 might have multithreading,
so stay updated...
yes, IPU will be on a seperate thread in 0.9.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all you guys:)
I got a whole night to spend tet a tet with this comp and the emulator.
So if i got anything that differs with your results on your machines... then I'll describe you my very opinion and all my thoughts.

HOLD ON SUGAR:) (under sugar i mean emu:)

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Remember, that you will not see much, if any speed improvements on version you are going to test since its programmed for one processor anyway. Wait till 0.9 is out since it has one feature (if i understood correctly what Refraction was babbling. ;) ) that is done in multithread. There might be something interesting speed changes. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote: [yes, IPU will be on a seperate thread in 0.9.]

Thats cool to hear get some use out of my other cpu asside doing video encoding and building linux apps from source on gentoo, oh and the ocasional heavy multi tasking of alot of stuff ^^

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think it would take long to make it compatible with multiples cores/processors. In C++ you can pick which processor a thread can run on when you create the thread... and thats all you have to do (well, pretty much) :p

But really... since this program is so CPU bottlenecked, i still think that that would be the end all of 60fps. 15-30fps x 2 (+lack of windows overhead on a processor) = 30-60fps+ :) (the goal would just to be to split up the threads so that both processors are equally stressed)

I don't currently have a x-2 system to play around with (and i'm not sure if the emu authors do either). Maybe we should all donate and buy them one :). Otherwise they can't run the compiled code if they did make it for multiprocessor threading.

Anyone else heard about the rumours that P5 is dropping x86 support complete except for translation? scary stuff :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.