Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I found an Opti FireLink 82C861 (that's what's written on a chip) in a box (the kind of box where I put every PC part I don't have use for). It's a PCI card that gives 2 extra USB slot.
Of course I only have the card itself.. no driver CD or anything. So 2 questions:

Will WinXP install the driver by itself?
Is such a card resource consuming? Or in other words, is it worth plugging it?

(my 4 rear USB port are used, and I'm getting my MX518 mouse soon)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I believe that XP will be able to install drivers and it won't take up alot of resources, I say do it. But what the hell do I know.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
looking at the chip specifications, it looks like it's only a USB 1.1 card, so special USB 2.0 drivers would not be necessary. As for Windows XP, it should install the drivers automatically....also earlier Windows version should carry compatible drivers also

·
Old Man
286 Posts
Provided the card complies to UHCI / OHCI specifications (which it should), it will work out of the box. For EHCI (USB2.0), SP2 (maybe SP1 too?) comes with drivers for it, however previous versions will need to have drivers added to take advantage of 2.0.

In most cases, an extra USB card won't consume nearly any more resources as it can 'share' the same drivers with the rest of your USB ports, provided they are all the same protocol (UHCI or OHCI). Even if not, the drivers for USB are very small.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks, I think I'll put it next time I turn my comp off :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts