Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the skinny on this? I've read that 2.0 8x is approximately bandwidth equivalent to 1.1 16x. Basically my board does 2.0 8x and I just want to make sure there's enough bandwidth there for my 4870. I've seen some benchmarks but they're all with older cards.

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
It's supposed to run at the "same" speed if It was PCI-E v1.0 doesn't it?

PCI-E 1.0 max bus = 16X

PCI-E 2.0 max bus = 32x (halved at 8x = 16x)

In theory It should deliver the same performance if you have a full 2xPCI-E 1.0 slots, but I'm not really sure in the real world.

Your card I't supposed to deliver It's full performance on a full PCI-E 2.0 slot, so even if at 8X is equal at 2x16X PCI-E 1.0 the overall performance will be halved.

Also reading some article on tomshardware, using PCI-E 1.0 on high-end nvidia cards delivered more poor performance when used at 8x/4x speed, Ati cards perform much better on these speeds.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Anyone have the skinny on this? I've read that 2.0 8x is approximately bandwidth equivalent to 1.1 16x. Basically my board does 2.0 8x and I just want to make sure there's enough bandwidth there for my 4870. I've seen some benchmarks but they're all with older cards.
x8 is x8, x16 is x16. The bandwidth is the same with the same number. :p

PCI-E 2.0 has the potential to max out its bandwidth at x32, as stated. That doesn't mean it's faster or has higher bandwidth than older revisions.

So what it means here is that the controller of PCI-E 2.0 can potentially provide x16 by x16 for Crossfire/SLI as opposed to x8 and x8 with older revisions.

I hope that makes it clearer. :p

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hy guys. Sorry to bring this up but I would like to get things straight in my head.
2 questions.

1.: A graphics card with PCI-E 2.0 can be used with a motherboard with a PCI-E 1.0 without any problems, right?

2.: If above said is true, then is it possible to use an Nvidia 250/260/280 and/or a 9800GTX+ on a motherboard with PCI-E 1.0 without any problems?

Just for the record my config is:
Mboard: ECS G31T-M2 (yes M2...checked it on EVEREST)
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz
Grapchics Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GS
Memory: 2gigs

It would be really helpfull if you'd help me out here...I don't want to throw that much money out the window for nothing. Thanx in advance. :)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
PCI-E 2.0 has no chance of reaching the theoretical max due to a bandwidth overhead of about 2-4 bytes...

3.0 will have that fixed though....

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
x8 is x8, x16 is x16. The bandwidth is the same with the same number. :p

PCI-E 2.0 has the potential to max out its bandwidth at x32, as stated. That doesn't mean it's faster or has higher bandwidth than older revisions.

So what it means here is that the controller of PCI-E 2.0 can potentially provide x16 by x16 for Crossfire/SLI as opposed to x8 and x8 with older revisions.

I hope that makes it clearer. :p
So, for a single card setup it wouldn't even matter having a P35 or P45 board? (v1.1 vs 2.0?) I'm running my 4870 on a P35, yeah I went cheap a bit, but the bandwidth is the exact same, despite what marketing wants me to believe?

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
So, for a single card setup it wouldn't even matter having a P35 or P45 board? (v1.1 vs 2.0?) I'm running my 4870 on a P35, yeah I went cheap a bit, but the bandwidth is the exact same, despite what marketing wants me to believe?
Sadly yeah... I went from 730i to G35 to P35 to P45. Graphics performance stayed relatively the same. :p

Or at least I never really ran anything that needed that much bandwidth to begin with (Crysis included). Now that I have more time to hone my programming skills, I don't feel like going back there anymore.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
its only important where heavy bus usage is required.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts