·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Intro:

Published By: Ubisoft
Produced By: Ubisoft Montreal
Genre: First Person Shooter (FPS)

This tactical FPS is the second installment of the Rainbow Six Vegas series. Just like any other cherished FPS, it immerses gamers into a realistic gaming experience which keeps them glued to the screen throughout the course of the game.

System Tested On:

Minimum System Requirements:
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 3 GHz or Athlon Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB (2 GB for Vista)
Hard Drive: 7 GB Free
Video Memory: 128 MB (See Supported Graphic Cards)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive (4X)
Active Internet Connection @ 128KBPs Upstream for Online Play

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 3.2 GHz or Athlon Equivalent
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 7 GB Free
Video Memory: 256 MB (See Supported Graphic Cards)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive (4X)
Active Internet Connection @ 128KBPs Upstream for Online Play

My System:
Processor: Intel E2160 @ 2.2GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2
GPU: ATI HD 2400 Pro @ 625/525

Gameplay (9.5/10):

Just like its predecessors, Tom Clancy's RSV 2 promises gamers and fans with an adrenaline-filled gaming experience. You start off as an operative of Rainbow's Alpha Team. Being part of a full-time anti-terrorist squadron, game play will mostly revolve around you trying to crack down on their hide-outs, gathering intelligence by interrogating or eaves-dropping on their conversations or in a race against time trying to save lives of innocent hostages and preventing the terrorists and their diabolical plans from succeeding.

Players encounter a variety of environments and landscapes during missions, from posh five-star estates, to old abandoned oil refineries in the middle of the desert, guaranteed to put one's fighting skills to the test. Another realistic, and I must say appreciable aspect of gameplay is the realism of combat. Unlike other FPS's such as Call of Duty, the protagonist is not oblivious and seemingly immune to combat wounds. One has to maintain a cautious approach, for even a couple of pistol shots from close range will result in instant death on medium difficulty. Similarly, enemies are also liable to gun-shots. Keeping in mind these aspects, the developers have put in place unique and innovative fighting styles and features which are seldom found in other games. One such feature would be the "snake cam", which allows the player to slide a small camera under an un-opened door to scan the insides stealthily and identify and tag enemies. Other feature include the ability to fire from behind cover without exposing yourself even the slightest and the ability to rappel up and down ropes and change your orientation on them.

Yet another aspect of gameplay which simply cannot be left untold is the nature of the overall playing style. Apart from a few occasions, you always attempt missions as part of a 3-man team of which you are in-charge. What sets RSV 2 apart from other FPS games which have a co-operative style gameplay is the total command which you have over your 2 colleagues. They obey your orders to the utmost. You can give them a variety of instructions such as to hold position, follow you, or you can assign them a fixed position from anywhere around you where they will station themselves. They can be commanded to blast open doors, throw grenades, provide you protection from enemy fire and you can even tag specific enemies for them to go after.

This interactive gameplay with all its features makes this a truly tactical game where players can spend time and use mental ability to devise an effective assault strategy. Hence, this is not a mindless savage game where you just aim and shoot, but instead one where your tactic has a definite impact on whether you succeed or not.

It is often said regarding FPS games that their superior gameplay is often marred by a thrilling story-line and a dramatic ending. This game simply cannot fall prey to that kind of criticism. From the very beginning, the situation is clear to you, yet the future is un-predictable and the suspense and curiosity is one of just many factors that keeps you glued to the screen. A story of betrayal, and unexpected twists and turns, combined with a dramatic and satisfactory ending makes this game excel.

Aside from the story-mode, there is also a terrorist hunt mode where you have to eliminate a set number of terrorists and everything, such as the venue, terrorist density, etc is customizable. Players also receive points for their playing skills. There are 3 scopes where points can be earned, namely CBQ, assault and marksmanship. Actions which require skill such as taking out enemies from long range, extremely close range or from behind cover and using grenades gives players points. After a set number of points you advance to the next level and as a reward unlock various weapons, armors and costumes.

Moving onto the arsenal which players have access to, the game once again does not disappoint. A huge arsenal of weapons, armor and costumes are accessible. There are also equipment sheds which players regularly come across where they can stock up on supplies making it unnecessary to pick up items dropped by enemies except in rare cases. A wide variety of pistols, SMGs, lgiht machine guns, shot-guns, sniper rifles and assault rifles is available. What is most suitable depends on the player's style, the nature of the enemies and the environment in which they have to be engaged. Armor also has to be well-thought of. A compromise between armor strength and mobility has to be calculated and planned to ensure success. All these choices and options further enhance the planning and strategy-making aspect of the game which I mentioned earlier.

Graphics (7.8/10):

The graphics are pretty average. For a game that has not-so-special graphics you would expect it to run a little better on low-power PCs, but this is obviously not the case here. On my PC, performance was sub-par and even on the lowest settings at 1024x768, the game occasionally dropped to 20-25fps on the really intensive portions. Upon seeing in-game videos made by people with faster PCs, there was still little to cheer about. The game is pretty bloated I'm sad to say.

Sound (8.5/10):

In brief, they're appreciable. Unlike some other FPS game I've played, the sound of guns going off in this game is much better. In F.E.A.R 2 for example, I found the sound of an SMG firing was similar to that of pop-corn going off. Here though, it had more bang to it. Radio broadcasts are also realistic, and the conversation between terrorists can often be heard clearly.

Replay Value (9/10):

As mentioned earlier, the game features scoring points for skilled achievements. This gives players an incentive to re-play the game, score more points, and unlock more stuff. In story mode, one can continue from a specific scene in a specific level, so some of the more enjoyable fights and portions can be easily replayed without much hassle. And then there is also the terrorist hunt mode. You can try and play these under various settings at various venues giving the chance to players to squeeze a lot more play-time from the game before finally ditching it.

Overall (8.8/10):

Fantastic gameplay, interesting story-line, incorporates several unique features and has a replay value seldom found on other FPS games. Marred by average graphics and lack of optimization. Having said that, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is still a must-have for anyone who enjoys FPS games.

SCREEN-SHOTS:

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Yet another good review, but I agree, pictures are needed!

I own the game, but it is not loaded on my PC at the moment...

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Good review, but I don't think that with a 2400 Pro you can accurately judge the game's graphical prowess. :p

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
i hate how you have to control your teams every step. Its really annoying and i didnt like playing it because of it.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
lol I knew people would complain about pics. But its just that I hesitate to post screenies of it running on my system since it might scare people away from it :lol: Anyway, I'll do it in a few hours still.

Awesome review, Youngy. Screenshots from your system is needed :p
a question; did you play it with game-pad?
Nope. Gamepads = fail for FPS games. Mouse and keyboard ftw! ^^

Good review, but I don't think that with a 2400 Pro you can accurately judge the game's graphical prowess. :p
I know, but I saw a HQ video of it somewhere running on an HD4850 and it wasn't anything spectacular.

i hate how you have to control your teams every step. Its really annoying and i didnt like playing it because of it.
You don't have to control their every step, by default they follow just like in any co-op style game. But in CoD your comrades often stand a hundred yards back and don't even break a sweat. Or at other times they mess up your operation and blow your cover. Here I could make them do exactly what I want, sometimes I'd use them as bait and send them into suspicious places to see if they stir up activity. On other occasions I'd tell them to hold so I could go in and stealthily do everything without them messing it up.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Decided to try this game again out of pure boredom, and its actually not bad. The only annoying thing is that they sometimes get in your way, wish i could turn no clipping on for my teammates lmao.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just tell them to hold position before going into a fight if you want to do it alone.

P.S. Just use them as live bait and send them into suspicious places to stir up activity so you can take out your enemies from afar :evil:

·
Lurker
333 Posts
The only annoying thing is that they sometimes get in your way,
They also steal kills. Lots of time I start aiming at a guy just to see him get shot by one of them, meanwhile they completely ignore the one's I tagged specifically for them to kill first. They're useless for close quarters. I only use them in open areas with lots of enemies, let them advance first and take out the bulk of the riff raff so I have less bullets flying towards me. If I ever go to Vegas my first instinct entering any building is going to be to look up and check for glass ceilings.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They might be a handicap sometimes, but seriously I found out how much support they give in the Nevada Desert....I never bad-mouthed them again. At least if you want to reload you can retreat into a corner and not fear that someone will come around and kill you instantly from point blank range.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little update: The graphics in this game are POS considering the hardware it needs. I just played it on all max settings and 8x AA. FPS rate was smooth, graphics were crap; the trees look like card-board even from a distance, from up-close, object detail is clearly absent (and this comes from someone who isn't a graphics whore at all).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.