·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro:

Published By: Capcom
Developed By: Dimps/Capcom
Genre: 1 on 1 Fighting

Street Fighter IV is the newest game in the always popular Street Fighter series that although is only on its 4th edition has actually had a tonne more due to Capcom's undying need to make there fighters perfect!

System Tested On:

Minimum System Requirements:
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.0 or higher (XP) Intel Core2Duo 2.0GHz or higher (Vista)
Memory: 1 GB or higher (XP) 2 GB or higher (Vista)
Hard Drive: 10GB Free
Video Memory: NVIDIA GeForce6600 series, ATI Radeon(TM) X1600 or higher or higher, VRAM - 256MB or higher
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c

My System:
Processor: Intel Q9400 @ 3.32GHz
Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066MHz
Video Card: GeForce 9800GTX
Network: Forced to not play on a network due to my wireless broadband dropping out every 2 - 3 minutes! (No online play review for this reason)

Gameplay (10/10):

No beating around the bush: Street Fighter on PC is a fantastic game, combining all the action, balance and brilliant design of the arcade edition (Which some of you may know I have completed several times as there is a machine local to me) and adding a few new characters and modes to boot. Normally I would at the start of a review waffle on about the series history (in the case of sequels) or the basic plot, but there are only 2 things you need to know before I jump into the review proper. 1, That I had my fingers crossed that it would turn out to be a good game and not a disappointment like Capcom's previous attempts at 3D Street Fighter and 2, that since the game was placed in my hot little hands by the guy at EB I have had nothing but a hard time getting away from it to write this review. But then can you blame me for having to obsessively unlock all the characters, costume colours, victory poses, profile names and other goodies I could?

All your old fav's make a return in the game. Ken, Ryu, Chun Li, (Bob) Sagat, Bison and the rest fill out the roster nicely and thanks to tweaks in the moves and gameplay feel at once pleasantly familiar and excitingly new. The new characters, with the possible exclusion of El Fuerte are excellent additions to the game although it would have been nice to see even just a few more, but then beggars can't be choosers! The complete line-up of 25 characters is a bit strange and goes mostly against what the fans called for (Why was Dan, Rose and Gen chosen over the likes of Karin and Guy remains a mystery) and both Rufus and C. Viper have move sets and designs more at home in an SNK game.

As is always the case with Street Fighter games character balance is excellent with no single character you could easily point out as over-powered in multi-player. Single player mode however is tough even on easy difficulty settings mostly due to the fact that all the characters with 360 degree stick motion throws (Zangief and Abel to name just 2) spam the moves with abandon and the high priority of the style of attack all but guarantees it to hit and stop anything the player is trying to get out!

The new "focus attack" move that is executed by pressing both medium attacks has finally made large combo's starting from the ground far more viable then ever before and with its ability to recover the damage you take from a single hit helps to build your ultra meter without taking damage making it possible to get ultra finishes and a perfect in the same round, although is stupidly tough to do.

The ultra moves themselves are really just flashier versions of most of the characters super moves but they are great for a last minute comeback to turn the tide of a match!

Graphics (9.5/10):

The new art direction in Street Fighter is gorgeous. The detail in the characters and backgrounds are stunning. The anime opening and closing scenes however are a huge disappointment as they are nothing short of ugly and unappealing to say the least.

The pc version also has one extra addition to the console versions as well in that there are 3 filters that can be applied to the graphics for different effects! Personally though I leave them all off as I like the original look more, but this will come down to individual preference.

Sound (7/10):

The English voice acting is horrible with characters like the "French" Abel speaking in an American accent, Zangief sounds like a different person from word to word and the commentator has no solid idea of pronunciation or pacing mangling words and running them together with abandon (Although the commentary does tend to grow on you after some time!). The English Voice acting is horrible right across the board and annoying but thankfully the game features the original voice acting for all the characters.

Overall (9.5/10):

With Street Fighter 4, Capcom has managed to pull off one of the most difficult feats in a sequel - they succeeded in modernising a franchise to the extent that it feels right at home in the modern gaming market and utilises the potential of today's pc's, whilst simultaneously keeping it in tune with the franchise and appealing to the old school fans of said franchise. Just buy it.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Thanks for the great review, but I've already purchased the game to support Fighting games on the PC.

I do HATE the "English" voiceovers... Chun Li, Please no, she isn't American, was this the voiceover of the woman who did the STUPID Street Fighter Chun Li movie? :mad: :angry: :cry:

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great review, but I've already purchased the game to support Fighting games on the PC.

I do HATE the "English" voiceovers... Chun Li, Please no, she isn't American, was this the voiceover of the woman who did the STUPID Street Fighter Chun Li movie? :mad: :angry: :cry:
Just for the info, I have at this stage put 140 hours into the pc game since I got it on the 30th June (Local EB rang me 2 days before release to pick up my copy which had arrived in-store)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You would prefer she speak Chinese with subtitles on the bottom? That would just be retarded.
i would actually prefer that myself. but hell im weird.

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

probably.
I can tell you it is not Kristian Kreuk from the new SF movie! (After watching her on Smallville for 8 years I can recognise her voice anywhere!)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I can tell you it is not Kristen Kreuk from the new SF movie! (After watching her on Smallville for 8 years I would bone her anywhere!)
fixed.

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can tell you it is not Allison Mack in the new SF movie! (After watching her on Smallville for 8 years I would bone her anywhere!)
Fixed it better! KK is a mole!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
You would prefer she speak Chinese with subtitles on the bottom? That would just be retarded.
I would prefer she talked with an accent, is it that hard to get bilingual voices from the same actor? oO

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is exactly the point I was making in the review that they all sound American.
Dhalsim should sound like he is from India, not an Indian born in America etc...

If anyone wants/needs a guide for the game. This is by far the best place to go to learn EVERYTHING there is to know for the game with in-depth detail into every single character!
They also have a location tracker for the arcade machine if you want to see if there is one near you. Every publicly playable arcade machine in the world is listed there. (Lots of countries missed out)
Street Fighter 4 Strategy Guide -- Moves, Combos and Tips

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Which is why I liked your review so well. Please do more in the future, and thanks for the added information.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which is why I liked your review so well. Please do more in the future, and thanks for the added information.
Thanx!
Ask me any time when it comes to 1 on 1 fighters, except SNK ones as I am very biased against them. Platformers and Survival horror <<Hint, hint at the next PC game I shall review!

After that I think will come a "New Super Mario Brothers" Wii review and lets just see what else :D

Awesome game, nice review.
Thanx koko!

I would like to let you know that you will be removed from my ignore list immediately following this post!

you swapped a mole for a troll.
I still like the troll more! :p

But anyway, this is way OT!

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Well done with your review Darksamus my good chum, I might have to look into getting this game (sorta tossing up between this and Blaz Blu). I can see the coveted reviewer of the year plaque for 2009 is seeing some stiff competition. I look forward to seeing some further work from you mate :thumb:

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I told you at the time of last years awards that I was gonna have a shot at your throne when SF4 came out! :p

Remember my Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Snes) review from a few months ago?

[SNES] Street Fighter Alpha 2

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Nice review shad :thumb:

SF4 is fantastic and i really like it... the only thing that bothers me is the difficulty level which is far behind other street fighter games i´ve seen(Tatsunoko vs capcom). yesterday i tried for the first time to beat the game using Ken in the hardest mode and went through the levels without problems.. Mr. Bison was the only one to beat me one round the rest(even seth) were just to easy to beat... taking in mind i was playing the game in the hardest mode available.

the only difference i noticed is that Seth is more agressive and make the moves he normally does in the second round when you´re playing in the standard mode. but other then that he was just too easy as usual. anyways that´s just the game but when playing against real oponents just as i did with a good friend of mine this weekend it was fun as hell.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This game is SO made of win. Let's wait for the mandatory Street Fighter IV - Champion Edition/Fourth Strike.

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This game is so beautifully crafted that I fear that they can't go better with the inevitable sequels and as such we will be handed a game that while is not bad by any stretch of the imagination still won't impress to the degree that SF4 does now!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts