Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
band
5,270 Posts
i havent played it but anachronox is similar i think.

they also have ffvii and ffviii on pc. um...septerra coreis also similar i think .

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
D.D. pretty much hit on the head.

Septerra Core is a good game. It's a little bit lineaer, but still you'll want to play it for it's settings and world alone.

Anachronox's is a all in one package. The battle system is a almost direct result of console style. The story is fun and is a unique twist. The graphics use the Quake 2 engine. Which by today's standards is bare, but really the art style and way the game was implemented it never seems that way.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
Acctually Septerra Core is not all that linear, but it has an awful amount of bugs towards the end :p, Anachronox is amazing you've got to play it if you haven't already!

There are also many freeware console style RPGs for the PC, "Three the hard way" ( not to be confused with the movie with the same name ) has an absolutly amazing story. Laxius Power I,II,III ( start with one ) are pretty good too. Also there's a game called the Spirit Engine, It's more of a console style than PC but it really places somewhere in between, for a freeware game that one has fantastic graphics, gameplay and replayability.

·
Registered
212 Posts
psx emu, plently to choose from then :)

not many decent rpgs fror the pc afaik, that i've played neway, except for ff7/8 which have already been stated, going to try spirit engine thou thnx ChankastRules

oh yer niverwinter nights rocks! luved that game! age of wonders something like that neway, ms one

·
Registered
232 Posts
true pc rpgs?

Spirit of Excalibur
Vengeance of Excalibur
Ancients: The Deathwatch (i *think* that was rpg-style)

those were pretty good.

as far as difficulty, Spirit of Excalibur is by FAR one of the most difficult RPGs i have ever played. at one point in the game, you have like 8 different things going on at once, and if one group of characters dont reach their destination in time, you lose..
for the record, i have a rare CD version of the game, which actually had CD sound! and this was back in the 'dinosaur DOS' days..

Vengeance of Excalibur was easier than Spirit... except for one 'maze' part where i almost got lost.

Ancients: The Deathwatch-- i never got to play it much.

-these are all worth a try. and theyre OLD. 1991-1992 era.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
I was thinking about suggesting Baldur's Gate as well, until I found out he wanted console style J-Rpgs, instead of true pc-rpgs. The best way to play J-Rpgs on pc would be emulation, cause the only ones I know are FF7, FF8 and Grandia 2.

·
2,934 Posts
Ehr, isn't it more logical that he needs help to find the console style ones because there are so few of them? I always look in threads like these because I'm hoping to find a gem I've missed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
I was thinking about suggesting Baldur's Gate as well, until I found out he wanted console style J-Rpgs, instead of true pc-rpgs. The best way to play J-Rpgs on pc would be emulation, cause the only ones I know are FF7, FF8 and Grandia 2.
ARGH...

I just installed FF8 again and realized that it won't work on XP. When you click ff8.exe there's an hourglass icon for a couple of seconds, after which it just disappears. If you open up task manager it shows an ff8.exe task, but it's not actually doing anything.

·
Registered
10,585 Posts
well, fable is a console rpg but... heres the thing, the reason why fable was such a big hit on consoles was because it was a little bit more open than most console rpgs, but when you play it on the computer, youre actually going down a notch on how open it is. I can see why fable was popular on xbox, but i played/finished it on the pc, and it wasnt that much fun or open for me

·
band
5,270 Posts
i think the main reason fable was such a big hit on a console was because it was on xbox, just like why DOA was such a big hit ^^

·
2,934 Posts
What fable has big boobies? :D if that's really true maybe I should buy this game afterall :p OO, you got my hopes up for awhile there D.D. :p

·
band
5,270 Posts
sometimes i hate my english... >_<

EDIT : sorry, i meant why fable succeeded is because the same as DOA, it is on competition-scarce xbox. XD

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.