·
Registered
2,166 Posts
ill make a small list,

depends on the type of rpg you are looking for but:

baldur's gate gate 1 or 2 with tob
planscape torrment
aranchronox
y's series, id reccomend The Oath in Felghana (english patch available)
fallout series,
system shock, bioshock
Icewind dale

thats about all i can think of in the rpg department that ive tryed on the pc.

ive heard good things about the witcher though but dont hold me to that.

*edit never mind reread your post and noticed the samuri/ninja requirement, none of these have that.*

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
you could also try Warriors Orochi.
As far as I know Warriors Orochi is a hack 'n slash game. If other genres besides rpg counts you can try Onimusha 3 (Action-Adventure) too. Asian like rpgs ain't easy to find on PC.

The only series that comes to mind is Y's.. Besides the Y's games the other guys recommended, there is also Y's I and II remakes with very nice graphics, it also has a complete english patch. I really recommend those. Awesome games.

It doesn't look bad, anyway. ;)

Also, Y's games always have cool musics like those:

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege was released for PC at some point in 2006, I think. I should know, cause I have it sitting there somewhere in one of my drawers. :p

Also, it's "Ys", not "Y's". What's with people adding the apostrophe there? Either way, they ARE good games. Plenty of fun, awesome music, awesome battle system(both the old "bump" system and the new "hack 'n' slash" systems are good).

Warriors Orochi isn't an RPG. That doesn't mean that it isn't a good game, though.

Also, The Last Remnant is quite good for an RPG, if you can stand the only-semi-decent story. The battle system is great, as is the voice acting and concept. If only the plot were better, it'd be one of the best RPGs in quite a while.

Other than the ones already mentiones, I can't think of any other new/good RPGs(there's always Breath of Fire IV, but I don't think that's what you'd call "new").

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Also, The Last Remnant is quite good for an RPG, if you can stand the only-semi-decent story. The battle system is great, as is the voice acting and concept. If only the plot were better, it'd be one of the best RPGs in quite a while.
Yep, I agree. It's worth playing.. "Gae Bolg I call upon thee!!" Lord David is very cool. :lol: :D

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Onimusha 3 was kind of fun. But nothing to get wet for, really. Little to no challenge, a small number of attacks, a lame concept...

Don't take me wrong, though. As I said, it WAS fun.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TLR sucked ass! Iwas so disapointed :( hope FF XIII will make things better again :(

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
The point is that he played it and didn't like it. Don't question his opinions, because doing so won't make him like it all of a sudden.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Normally, when someone says that something is good or bad, I'd expect a reason behind that. But whatever floats your boat. IMO, the battle system for The Last Remnant was quite original, grouping characters in Unions, making them share their HP and overall stats, giving you quite a few formations to play with(I THINK I have around 25-30 formations, but I'm sure there's a few more lying around there somewhere in the game).

Using something akin to FF2's "level up" system was a good idea, as it actually makes sense, as well as being able to choose between different set skill paths for characters to follow. The morale and command system is pretty well executed, morale playing a BIG role in what your units can actually do(sometimes even more so than the available Ability Points for the corresponding attacks themselves).

Plus, the way battles are handled(Deadlocks, flanking, rear attacks and so on) actually has you planning what it is you have to do, unlike most RPGs in which you simply pick your strongest attacks and be done with it.

More tactical than most of the normal RPGs, while still making you feel at home with the system(even if you sometimes get mad because that healing skill is not showing up when you have low HP. Suck it for making bad decisions. :p).

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Normally, when someone says that something is good or bad, I'd expect a reason behind that.
Indeed. Have u noticed something ?? It's much easier to point out flaws for something that you choose not to like than pointing out the qualities for something that you enjoy. I don't even bother explaining qualities anymore because someone always shows up and say: "No, it sucks..."

Then you ask:
Why does it sucks ??
The answer is:
Because it sucks.

Yeah... Cool.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.