Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will it ever happen? id like to backup my games but dont have a modded xbox and it sounds like a fuzz. am i better off just getting a modded console?

good job with the emulation progress btw :thumb:

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
some samsung drives can read xbox games with modifed firmware but outside of that the answer is no unfortunately

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get a modded console. Right now they're $30 NZD pre-owned where i live, so they're really cheap and probably will cost less than buying the drive itself. (ofcourse you'll have to mod it yourself unless you buy it modded-softmodding is the best way to go if your not looking to buy a modchip or for a easy solderless solution)

You get the benefits of backing up games and playing them on your xbox ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
But aren't there various special burning software which understands the Xbox disc format and then convert any Xbox game disc into an ISO image file? Does that option work?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
No. XBox discs themselves are physically different from regular, industry standard DVDs. Software isn't the issue when PC standard hardware cannot read the disc in the first place.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Yes. It can.

The easiest way so far for me is to use an LG 8614 Dvd rom and flash it with the appropriate firmware. That's how I dumped most of my games. We had a thread about this in the Cxbx forum years ago. I have a copy of it somewhere (trying to find it now) and I'll upload it if/when I do since it's not easily found these days. If you try this, be sure to use MagicIso or UltraIso to read the discs. Using Windows Explorer won't work.

This drive can also be used as a replacement drive for Xboxes if you have the adapter for it. If you can find one, it's worth it.

Furthermore, the Misc Xbox discussion forum is more appropriate for this type of discussion. Moving there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
blueshogun, I thought I remember you saying there was a trick that went along the lines of this:

1) have a DVD drive with its casing off
2) put a standard DVD in via the disc tray like normal
3) wait for it to stop spinning
4) without ejecting, directly replace it with an Xbox disc.
5) ????
6) Profit

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes. It can.

The easiest way so far for me is to use an LG 8614 Dvd rom and flash it with the appropriate firmware. That's how I dumped most of my games. We had a thread about this in the Cxbx forum years ago. I have a copy of it somewhere (trying to find it now) and I'll upload it if/when I do since it's not easily found these days. If you try this, be sure to use MagicIso or UltraIso to read the discs. Using Windows Explorer won't work.
Cool. I think PowerISO does read the Xbox discs, if I can remember correctly from reading over at it's official website. Alcohol120% can read them, too, I think. So many ISO reading & creation tools these days, Lol.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
blueshogun, I thought I remember you saying there was a trick that went along the lines of this:

1) have a DVD drive with its casing off
2) put a standard DVD in via the disc tray like normal
3) wait for it to stop spinning
4) without ejecting, directly replace it with an Xbox disc.
5) ????
6) Profit
It's a trick BigIg taught me. After you put the Xbox disc in, he says to make an ISO of it using Alcohol 120 or IsoBuster, etc. But just don't do anything to make the drive read the disc again (i.e. verify it's integrity). Now you have an ISO of your game, or that's the theory.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'd try it if I had more DVD drives... I got CD drives up the wazoo though. XD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I see there isn't just 1 view to this. Atleast it's possible though I wish it was simple as with PSOne. I guess the flashed DVD drive is the way I go

·
Registered
376 Posts
PS2 is apparently just as easy as well. GameCube was even worse than Xbox, but the Wii makes all that easy via Homebrew Channel & CleanRip. (holy crap CleanRip is awesome. In the past you had to do some "shady" hacks, but thanks to CleanRip there's now a clear line drawn between pirates and homebrew-ers)

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Found the firmware. Download link, and attachment below if that doesn't work for you. Eat that!

QuickJump Downloads

·
Squire
105 Posts
Yes. It can.

This drive can also be used as a replacement drive for Xboxes if you have the adapter for it. If you can find one, it's worth it.

Furthermore, the Misc Xbox discussion forum is more appropriate for this type of discussion. Moving there.
It's hard to find that particular drive these days. Is there a list of drives that support firmware to read these discs? Or, is there firmware for a ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
There are VERY few DVD drives that can read Xbox discs, and chances are there is not one for your drive. I don't know of any other drives, but the first ones were of the samsung and Phillips variety. An LG 8164 is not really that hard to find IMO. There may not be many, but there's still some on eBay.

I'm tempted to get this one and see if the firmware is compatible with USB versions: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-GDR-8164...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item230e7e6130

Trust me, they are still out there.

·
Squire
105 Posts
If you do decide to get the USB version, could you let us know if it works? I'd like to start testing out games for CXBX, and this would be great for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Okay, but I'll be broke for the rest of this week and might be short on cash for a month. Waiting for my new job to pull through.

·
Squire
105 Posts
Oh, don't worry about it. I completely understand.

I have finals the week after next, so I won't have any time at all to use it even if I had it and it was functional.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts